Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

On 2007-01-25 11:10, Allos wrote:
    Again, I must insist on the Agalloch.
    He's right, you should look into Agalloch.

Another quick 5 recommends:

Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island, Burn

Menomena - Friend and Foe

Nujabes - Metaphorical Music

Malajube - Tromp L'oeil

Cursive - The Ugly Organ

Could you give me a quick description of each?

Oh, and I am getting the Agalloch album as we speak.

New stuff: (soon to be at least)
    Agalloch-The Mantle
    Explosions in the Sky-All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone

Wow, I'm surpised theres another living soul on this board thats into some decent screamo.
    I'd definitely second the likes of Gospel (Who, sadly, decided to break-up recently) and City of Caterpillar (As well as Malady which featured members of City of Cat with a more straight-forward rock approach). I'd also like to toss in a few suggestion screamo/emo related.

- Anything released by Yaphet Kotto
    - Funeral Diner - "Underdark"
    - Navio Forge - "As We Quietly Burn A Hole..."
    - Saetia - "Discography/A Retrospective"
    - Envy - "A Dead Sinking Story"
    - Circle Takes The Square - "As The Roots Undo"
    - I Hate Myself - "Ten Songs"
    - Welcome to The Plague Year - "s/t LP"

I'll put in more when I'm not using a Wii Opera browser to type.

Not much new, but hey.

Behemoth-Demigod

I'll be checking out some new stuff tomorrow probably.

Some good calls there HWD, you should look into those Hrigg, Circle Takes The Square's "As The Roots Undo" is a really solid album.

On 2007-01-26 21:20, Hrigg wrote:
    Not much new, but hey.

Behemoth-Demigod

I'll be checking out some new stuff tomorrow probably.
    Do you like the album? If so I can recommend a lot more that I haven't because I thought you didn't like black/death vocals.

They're growing on me.

I'm planning on checking out CTTS and getting some more Opeth possibly today.

I'm going to toss some more suggestions into the pot (Seeing as how there are certain forms of music that are a bit lacking in your collection...be it due to your preferences or whatever).

Basically, the precursor/harbringer of hardcore music in general. Not to mention, irrefutable proof that black-americans are responsible for virtually every major shift in western music.

Lightning-fast punk-rock complemented by shrill vocals belted out with the fury to match the onslaught of the instruments themselves. If that doesn't strike your fancy, they even have a few reggae numbers tossed in as well (And, as quirky as that sounds, it does little to detract from the overall experience).

This marked a bit of a departure from Fugazis general, straight-up hardcore (Emo, hardcore, post-hardcore, whatever) tendencies and showed them branching off and experimenting with various forms of music. Not the easiest record to dig into, but the efforts are well worth. Heck, you should just get all the Fugazi records while you're at it. These guys pretty much carried the torch for all things punk-rock (And I mean that in the sense that they not only practiced what they preached, free of the influence of mass-media...but were consistently pushing the limits of music in general) during the late-eights to the 21st century.

I'm sure Walter Schreifels turned more than a few heads with this thick slab of crushing post-hardcore back in the early-nineties (Considering his fame in prior posi-core unit Gorilla Biscuits). I've heard it compared to a mixture of "Strap It On" era Helmet and Fugazi, and while I can see bits and pieces of that in here, I'd hardly call it a "sonic tribute" to either band. Influencing many bands, but never duplicated.

These guys were freaking wizards with their respective instruments, and their odd tunes bring to mind a mixture of Black Sabbath and "Quickness" era Bad Brains (Only infinitely more complicated than either, in my mind). I'm guessing the reason it has been overlooked by most people is due to the fact that it was released on a label primary known for presenting the third-wave of hardcore (Revelation). Its definitely a journey...one that most of the Underdog (The singers band before Into Another)fans weren't able to appreciate.

Arguably the best metalcore band that ever existed, and this re-release happens to cover two of their best records (In my opinion). On the surface, it may appear dated, but thats only because every vegan-edge band from the mid-nineties and up was trying their darndest to recapture the sound on "Life. Love. Regret". In fact, thats probably the only band thing I have to say about these guys in general...the sonic landscape of '96 and up is littered with Unbroken copycats that can't match a fraction of their intensity (Just check the early Victory Records roster if you don't believe me...or don't).

Its Steve Albini (and friends) playing dissonant, angular rock that'd make your mother cry. Whats not to like?

My hands are tired. So I'll stop for now.

I still don't see Dispatch on your list. For hamd's sake, Hrigg, borrow it from the library or something at the least.
    Bang Bang is pure awesome in a convenient compact disc format. No, the album cover is not 1/100th as snazzy as the ones AUTO_ has been posting (those are pretty damn snazzy, I shall admit), but your ears will thank you and possibly even send a cute card with some cash in it on your birthday.

On 2007-01-28 16:26, HotWaterDeath wrote:
    I'm going to toss some more suggestions into the pot (Seeing as how there are certain forms of music that are a bit lacking in your collection...be it due to your preferences or whatever).

Basically, the precursor/harbringer of hardcore music in general. Not to mention, irrefutable proof that black-americans are responsible for virtually every major shift in western music.

Lightning-fast punk-rock complemented by shrill vocals belted out with the fury to match the onslaught of the instruments themselves. If that doesn't strike your fancy, they even have a few reggae numbers tossed in as well (And, as quirky as that sounds, it does little to detract from the overall experience).

This marked a bit of a departure from Fugazis general, straight-up hardcore (Emo, hardcore, post-hardcore, whatever) tendencies and showed them branching off and experimenting with various forms of music. Not the easiest record to dig into, but the efforts are well worth. Heck, you should just get all the Fugazi records while you're at it. These guys pretty much carried the torch for all things punk-rock (And I mean that in the sense that they not only practiced what they preached, free of the influence of mass-media...but were consistently pushing the limits of music in general) during the late-eights to the 21st century.

I'm sure Walter Schreifels turned more than a few heads with this thick slab of crushing post-hardcore back in the early-nineties (Considering his fame in prior posi-core unit Gorilla Biscuits). I've heard it compared to a mixture of "Strap It On" era Helmet and Fugazi, and while I can see bits and pieces of that in here, I'd hardly call it a "sonic tribute" to either band. Influencing many bands, but never duplicated.

These guys were freaking wizards with their respective instruments, and their odd tunes bring to mind a mixture of Black Sabbath and "Quickness" era Bad Brains (Only infinitely more complicated than either, in my mind). I'm guessing the reason it has been overlooked by most people is due to the fact that it was released on a label primary known for presenting the third-wave of hardcore (Revelation). Its definitely a journey...one that most of the Underdog (The singers band before Into Another)fans weren't able to appreciate.

Arguably the best metalcore band that ever existed, and this re-release happens to cover two of their best records (In my opinion). On the surface, it may appear dated, but thats only because every vegan-edge band from the mid-nineties and up was trying their darndest to recapture the sound on "Life. Love. Regret". In fact, thats probably the only band thing I have to say about these guys in general...the sonic landscape of '96 and up is littered with Unbroken copycats that can't match a fraction of their intensity (Just check the early Victory Records roster if you don't believe me...or don't).

Its Steve Albini (and friends) playing dissonant, angular rock that'd make your mother cry. Whats not to like?

My hands are tired. So I'll stop for now.

Heed his words my friend.

Bad Brains is essential to your collection