Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Guardian of Grants

Lately I've been thinking about the reviews that the game received, like how most of them said PSU fails as an MMORPG...

Is it just me, or isn't it fair to compare PSU equally to Diablo, maybe even to Guild Wars?

Diablo had the same repetitive dungeons and you could only play 3 classes (and they had set graphics so everyone of the same class looked exactly the same), yet it was a successful game way back in the day and is still well-known now. If a Diablo III game came out, people would be all over it. But I think PSU was identical to that original theme and is now much much more.

Maybe if Sega had marketed the game as such, if they had even played Diablo which I doubt they have, the game would be vastly more successful than it is now. The only hinderance would be the monthly fee which neither Diablo nor Guild Wars has.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wallin on 2006-11-25 21:57 ]</font>

Maybe SEGA should just cut down on the number of universes so the population won't be so spread out so much... I happen to know that there are a sparse dozen of players that just play on any server they log into and don't care about going to populated areas.

On 2006-11-25 21:56, Wallin wrote:
    Lately I've been thinking about the reviews that the game received, like how most of them said PSU fails as an MMORPG...

Is it just me, or isn't it fair to compare PSU equally to Diablo, maybe even to Guild Wars?
    Indeed, it is the same type of game as PSO, Diablo, and Guild Wars - none of which are MMO by any means. PSU fails at being that which it is not. It takes a real idiot to think PSU is MMO, after knowing how the game works.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Wolf ET Master

On 2006-11-25 21:56, Wallin wrote:
    Diablo had the same repetitive dungeons and you could only play 3 classes (and they had set graphics so everyone of the same class looked exactly the same), yet it was a successful game way back in the day and is still well-known now. If a Diablo III game came out, people would be all over it. But I think PSU was identical to that original theme and is now much much more.
    Thats the problem! PSU is too much like diablo I. Except Diable I came out .... 6 years ago? more? I used to play that game on 36.6k and it rocked!
    PSU comes out .... 6 years later or so and ... less content from begining? I can care less what they will open up when there are tons of better stuff OPENED in any other games.
    Besides they ARE making Diablo III ... different name but from the makers of Diablo series )))
    Called Hellgate: London and its going to be a bomb! PC Gamer did a preview on it, Computer Games magazine did a preview on it and judging from those alone it will be THE RPG to play, and i am 99% there will be no monthly fee nor will it be a flop! weeeeeeee!

someone said they quit cause you need to hunt cash items... but.... in this game you can hunt rares too, problem is your basically on normal to hard right now,and rares havent come into play much. But yeah in A rank missions there are rare boards, that make rare weapons, rare units, rare armor boards, rare items used for synthesis.
    Money matters more than it used to, but at the same time you prolly have the money for building your pm and etc before you get that rare drop. i got two rare weapon boards, i had the money to level a pm to 100 way before that. aside from leveling pm, not much else to do with cash, buy weaps maybe but that only takes a few runs even if you take that route. I prefer the hunt myself, and have hunted most of the thing i have, and made them.

As far as population dwindling, ehh they dont have enough content yet, the game is a lot less entertaining when you are max level, get no exp, and have most the equips you want that you can equip, it should get better with next patch, question is will it get people back, or is it too late

theres many reasons

1. wait til christmas servers will probably filled then
    2. people are waiting for content and waiting for the level cap to increase
    3. bad reviews
    4. people are playing story mode before going online(like people should lol)
    5. not many people know about the game

After the beta for PSOBB ended, the population dwindled to a few thousand, which, over the course of the following year, dwindled to a few hundred.

That said, I enjoyed PSOBB a lot, and so I have no problems whatsoever with a very small community.

On 2006-11-25 22:23, peenk wrote:Thats the problem! PSU is too much like diablo I. Except Diable I came out .... 6 years ago? more? I used to play that game on 36.6k and it rocked!
    PSU comes out .... 6 years later or so and ... less content from begining? I can care less what they will open up when there are tons of better stuff OPENED in any other games.
    Diablo I was 9 years ago (1997). PSO was released in Japan six years ago, though, as was Diablo II in the US.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Guardian of Grants

I guess that's true, though PSU is now a lot closer to Diablo II which is kind of old skool now... it's still an improved version of it though. I'm just surprised none of the reviews cared enough to have this ever cross their minds I suppose.

Wolf ET Master

On 2006-11-25 22:42, Kent wrote:
    Diablo I was 9 years ago (1997). PSO was released in Japan six years ago, though, as was Diablo II in the US.
    Even more so.
    and...
    Holy Crap Dude!
    >5.3k posts?