Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Place in timeline?

OK, I'm a nut for fictional chronology, so I'm trying to piece together the "PSO" segment of the Phantasy Star Universe.

Here's what I've got so far ...

PSO Episode I: Seven years after Pioneer I landed on Ragol to colonize the planet, Pioneer II finally arrives in orbit around the planet.

Episode II: Takes place shortly after Episode I.

Episode IV: Takes place about 2 years after Episode II.

Episode III: Takes places 21 years after the events of Episode II.

So, when does PSZ fit in? It certainly seems to be a prequel of sorts... and perhaps when I beat the game again the ending will refresh my memory, but, for now... can anyone tell me how many years PSZ is away from the events of Episode I?

I'm not entirely sure myself, but I remember hearing the words "200 years have passed" somewhere while playing this game.
    Spoiler!

If you're trying to figure out how many years this game takes place before PSO Episode I, then I don't know the answer to that, and all I've accomplished in this thread was giving it some attention. Maybe you could turn to the Storyline of PSO for some answers?

Mystelle - Level 100 FOmarl
    ~Art by Daggart~

Yea, that's about as far as I got too. Thanks for tossing your 2 cents in!

Also, yes, 3DS release of PS-1, please!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinue_v2 View Post
    Well, basically PSZero is the storyline of what happened to Coral, the homeworld which Pioneer 1, 2, & 3 escaped from. Coral was over-populated and had multiple warring nations fighting over the depleting resources until it was thought that the planet would be unsustainable for much longer. This prompted, or at least was the cover, for the Pioneer projects which were to search for a new home. The pioneer project had a dual purpose though. A meteor had hit the planet some time before PSO, and it carried D-Cellular material which the military found promise in as a bioweapon. Tracing the trajectory of the meteor back, they found Ragol, and created the Pioneer Project as a means of immigrating thousands of scientists and military personnel (pioneer 1) to secure the source of these D-Cells and use them to produce bioweapons.

There was also another project, the Mother Project, which was put into motion. The Mother Project was an attempt at fusing a supercomputer with organics in order to create a controllable supervisory AI and potential weapon. Using the D-Cells which landed on the Meteor, they created Mother Trinity in an attempt to bring the warring factions under control and stabilize the environment. On Ragol, there were three potential AI cores which were being "groomed" to be Ragol's Mother. Calus, Vol Opt, and Olga.

Dark Falz corrupted Vol Opt, and nearly corrupted Calus as well (until you rescue him with the help of Elly). Olga was moved from the Mines to the Seabed plant and fused with a wounded Heithcliff Flowen who had been infected with D-Cells during his battle with Dark Falz, in the hopes of speeding up the Mother transformation. This resulted in Olga Flow. On Coral, Mother Trinity was corrupted by her own D-Cellular core (D-Cells are an extension of Dark Falz's power) and twisted in her logic. As the people of Coral were not heeding her advise, as a last option she elected to commit genocide in order to "thin the herd" to sustainable levels until such a time that the environment recovered.

The only loose thread is Calus, who entered the incubation chamber at the end of the "Two Towers" quest which would turn him into an organic supercomputer. We don't know what happened to him after that. Mother Trinity's destruction of Coral may help explain why Pioneer 2 never returned to Coral, because while they were short on resources after their exodus into space and they had no home left to return to. Even if the people didn't know that, the military (who pulled the Principle's strings), would have. Thus, Pioneer 2 is stuck in orbit for years, leading to resource shortages so severe it prompted a small "genocide" of Casts and Newman so that the human population could survive. Eventually, a separatist faction known as the Arkz would illegally escape to the surface and form a rebellion against the Pioneer 2 government. At the end of Episode III, and the defeat of the "Germ" (another form of Dark Falz), Pioneer 2 finally landed on Ragol.

Phantasy Star Zero starts about two hundred years after these events, on the planet Coral, and tells the story of Humanities re-emergence and reclamation of Coral after the destruction which Mother Trinity rained down began to subside. The main quest doesn't give many of the historical details, but the after-game quest "Mother's Memory" involves securing data terminals which detail the events leading up to Mother Trinity's genocide. Without doing this quest, you're missing the largest bulk of the significance that PSZero plays in supplementing PSO's storyline.

Sorry if that was a bit long.
    Enjoy

Norco   Prins Erik    RA-421

THis makes me appreciate PSZ's story even more!
    www.phnkmusic.com
    www.brandonfoy.tv
    3DS Friend code- 4296-3737-2855

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/show...58&postcount=2

When I was working on my Legacy fic for PSZ (which I swear I will actually manage to finish one of these days, I finally have the time to finish my female Human run with the appropriate ending so I can rewrite my script. I lost a LOT of data when old lappy died), this is the timeline I created to connect PSZ with Phantasy Star 2.

As for PSZ-PSO, I think two, maybe three hundred years went past while the races recovered and realised that Coral wasn't going to last forever, so they took what they could from the moonbase and developed the Pioneer Project. And if what they found maybe included a little information planted by Dark Falz to lead them towards specific planets, well, that's what it does.
    It's always the quiet ones...

Thanks Norco/Tolly.

Yeah, I had to play the "Mother's Memory" quest quite a few times to fully understand it. Without a doubt it is the most important quest in PSZ.

Mystelle - Level 100 FOmarl
    ~Art by Daggart~

If memory serves, it depends on where you live. Japan and US versions actually place the game in different timelines.

One one hand, PSZ takes place before PSO-1 and they are on their old world (Coral? Earth? Whatever...)

On the other side, PSZ takes place after PSO-1&2 and they're on Ragol.

Either way, it's explained to represent it either way and it can be argued either or.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFoxR View Post
    If memory serves, it depends on where you live. Japan and US versions actually place the game in different timelines.
    The Japanese version took place on Coral. Are you saying the English version took place on Ragol?

English version definitely took place on Coral. That is one thing I definitely remember when playing.