Written by Duke Elrond:

Warning: There is no use of weapons, no use of ill-mannered language, nor any physical fighting in this fanfic. Please be aware that if you are expecting such material to occur in this fanfic as entertainment, you run the risk of being terribly bored, falling asleep, and falling over from where you are sitting, which may result in head injury or other serious injuries, including, but not limited to, death. Do not continue reading if you feel you might react in such a way.

I take no responsibility for any damages this fanfic may cause to you personally or any of your property, including the growth of new eyeballs on your forehead, or spontaneous combustion, respectively.

If and only if you have acknowledged this warning to its fullest extent and wish to continue reading, I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to send me any comments you may or may not have.

A man sat quietly on the spacious white leather couch in the lengthy living room, where the sun was shining in brightly. His hair was just beginning to gray, short and straight. He wore a navy blue shirt with beige pants, everyday casual wear. A shiny silver watch decorated his left wrist. In the room where he sat, an angled bay of windows, which took up most of the wall space, allowed the sunlight to beam directly onto the plants situated beside them, behind the couch. A multitude of different species flourished in the ideal conditions that were provided for them. Outside the windows, palm trees and plants with colorful flowers were arranged in a row so that they could be seen from the inside as well as outside of the house.

As the man was reading an eNovel in the warmth of the sun, he was interrupted by a gentle grab and tugging on his arm. It was a small child dressed in pink pajamas. She looked up at him with sleepy brown eyes.

"Goo' morning grandpa." she said in a whisper as she stretched out her arms and smiled.

"Good morning!" he smiled, reaching over the armrest of the couch to pick her up and place her on his lap. "You woke up early today." He said as he kissed the top of her head.

"Where's grandma?"

"She woke up with me just a little while ago, she should be out soon."

She yawned a little and rubbed her eyes, while clinging onto her stuffed toy rappy, which was being partly sheltered by her long dark hair.

"Are your parents or brother and sister awake yet?"

"Notchet." She answered as she looked at the eNovel that he had placed on the glass coffee table. She reached out to grab it, but wasn't able to reach far enough - so, her grandfather leaned over to grasp it and gave it to her. "Whatcha reading?"

"This is the book your grandmother wrote when we still worked at the hunter's guild," he answered, continuing with emphasis, "waaay back before you were born."

She scanned the page for a word she could read aloud, and stopped at the title written on the top of the thin eNovel display: "...s...sk...ski...? sky?"

"That's right!" he said smiling. "Try the first, the one right next to it? U-n-f-o-r?"

She stared at it for a few seconds, muttering a syllable, until a noise outside the windows caught both of their attention. A wild rappy had come up to the bird feeder that was situated between the palm trees and the house. It was taking one of the monomates that were left there.

"Look!" he said to her, pointing out the window.

She got off her grandfathers lap to turn around and face the window. She smiled and yelled out, "An Al Rappy!"

The rappy heard her yell out, and popped up its head, holding a monomate in its beak. It walked over to the window, peeking in, and let out a meep. She smiled and laughed, reaching out for the bird, and it watched her curiously. Patting its wings a few times, it then started off back for the woods. Her eyes sparkled with excitement at what she had seen as it traveled off. For a few moments, even though the unusual sight had come and gone, they both stared out the window watching the trees sway in the gentle breeze, and a shuttle pod glide over the horizon, heading Northwest.

"Granpa?"

"Yes sweetie?"

"What was Ragol like when you were my age?"

He paused for a moment. Smiling, he put his arm around her. "Nobody knew there was a Ragol when I was your age."

"They didn't?"

"No." he replied. "Everybody still lived on the Homeworld."

The little girl was quiet for a moment, and then focused her big brown eyes on her grandfather. "Granpa, what's the Homeworld?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DukeElrond on 2003-05-22 14:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DukeElrond on 2003-05-26 11:21 ]</font>