Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
But I'm ready to move on to a real programming language.
Ah, I see.

Well, either way, may it be a smooth transition going forward.

Right now I'm struggling heavily with gen 2's final evolution. My artistic process is, it looks horrible until it looks awesome, and I haven't quite hit that last step. But, he just isn't jiving with gen 2's graphical style.

***snip***

But with gen 2, while white and black are fixed, the other two colors are whatever you want. And just that little bit gives pokemon so much more life.
Unfortunate to hear that the increase in graphical capability has presented you with that dilemma.

The only thing that occurs to my mind is to simply iterate different versions with different colour palettes and chose whichever best represents the dynamic you're aiming towards.

Which is likely what you're already doing behind the scenes anyway.

The back sprites by the way are way different, which is why I'm redrawing them all. Gen 1 is 28x28. Gen 2 is 48x48. So much more freedom, but it requires rethinking each one from scratch to get it going..
Gotta say that even the official creatures' back-sprites generally looked like blobs of pixels with only vague clues as to what Pokemon it was meant to be.

So, even if you have to re-draw yours for the second generation, please know that yours were plenty recognizable between the two viewing angles.

Already my angel pokemon has this kind of going on, breaking the rules of reality to exist in this plane. I have another in mind but, it would easily be at home in a Blizzard or Mass Effect property. I want to go as off the wall as possible, make some truly crazy extra-dimensional ideas in the future..
Your future angel design definitely sound ambitious.

And the only example that I am personally aware of, that sorta reseble a "MISSINGNO-but-on-purpose" is actually turning 20 years old this year itself: the "Data Bugs" in the dotHACK// quadrilogy.

But those were just "regular" game-models covered in glitchy stuff.

Where-as, your idea appears to consider the effect that transcendent entities might have on the very environment itself.

Which, again, could be the blueprint for some clever concepts!

You've criticized yourself for your lack of artistic terminology, but honestly this is all that's needed. You were able to communicate yourself well here.
But, I wrote this years ago. This was just an example of stuff I've written that could fit in with the style you were hoping for. I could rather easily write something like this for pokemon, and it would be something that only a Gameboy chip could produce. But you know, opportunity cost.
I shall keep that in mind then.

And I did comprehend that this piece was both old material and not originally intended for PKMN BGM.

But, either way, as you say, "cost/benefit" ratio might not afford the time/effort. So no worries.

I would greatly appreciate it.
And as indicated by this post on June 21st: https://www.pso-world.com/forums/sho...=1#post3482169
I did end up vibing with your "Palace On The Endless Sea" song.

Difficult to assess "why".

The moodiness of the track simply struck me at the right time, I suppose.

And the actual notes being played were a more enjoyable combination than the other songs.

Don't normally gravitate to piano-centric music, which comprises the bulk of what I sampled at your Soundcloud profile.

Yet, this song's selection of instruments very visually evoked my imagination of a character contemplating deeply at the edge of a half-sunken temple while staring out upon a seemingly infinite oceanscape. (Which also alludes to the internal churning of emotion during such ruminations).

In the end, I simply give thanks that you shared this piece of highly atmospheric music.

It really is. I haven't been able to get anything like this from anything else, ever.
Indeed.

It's actually funny because when I first came here, before I stopped actually playing PSO (....and eventually all games in general....), at that time, I didn't fully understand why people would post stuff so actively here when they could be doing the same thing "in-game", back when the servers were active.

Yet, I slowly grew to comprehend the different dynamic of "communication only" interaction, without any audio/video immersion.

And, obviously, the Fan Works section allowed people to express themselves artistically in ways that were impossible within the PSO Ep 1&2 game proper.

(To say nothing of the silliness that went on in Fresh Kills Landfill. Especially when both Youtube and Wikipedia were basically brand new.)

This goes for everyone. At the time of writing, this has 300 views. I know that it counts the same person multiple times, but this at at 6 posts it's easy to estimate that around 50 people have been peaking into this thread. If anyone is interested at anything at all, no matter what you have to say, we're all interested in hearing it.
True.

But: it ould be my "bad karma" for not posting anything over all those years though.

(Sooooooooooooooooooo, sorry Zorafim if it's my fault everybody else here is suddenly silent.)

Yeah hopefully I have something to show soon!
Noted.

(And it looks like there ARE two more posts below, so it seems some updates have arrived!!)

and I want to live in this world where everyone can see their creations come to life.
As lame as it might sound though, just remember: "With great power.... comes great responsibility."

Seriously. We ALL must consider things with forethought of the potential repercussions, and be careful what we create.

I thought it over, and it makes more sense to post progress as I make it instead of in one big batch. So I'll be going over what I've finished in gen 2 so far.
Understood.

The two biggest changes between gen 1 and 2 is:
1: The back sprite is now 48 pixels instead of 28,

***snip***

2: Colors.
May abundant inspiration overflow from within and allow you to bypass any spot you get stuck!

But for now, I'll just post what I'm done with.

The nose was actually really hard to do. I need half pixels in order to draw it well. I had to get creative with the different colored pixels I had to give it shape.
And as you said yourself, the end result is worth it!

Good job on finding the right slope-shape for your character's nose-curvature!

This whole set gave me problems. .
Sorry that these creatures's updates were rough on you.

But the colours DO help visually clarify what was going on in their designs, which had me perplexed in the first batch.

the physical/special split.
Maybe it's my memory being wrong.... but wasn't the split between Physical and Special moves only done in the 4th Generation?

And weren't the differences between Physical and Special kept strictly based on Type?

Like "GHOST-type" was "Physical" and "PSYCHIC-type" was "Special"??

Or am I misunderstanding something on top of misremembering things?

My physical grass/dark type. I may be sacrificing my buggy HM slave, but I think his sacrifice is worth it.

I haven't used a grass type since my first playthrough of gen 1, so that will be a fun way to think about the game.
Best wishes that you do have fun with this new one!

^_^

(And the "shadow roots" are a nice visual and correspond well with the TYPING of this design.)

So expect more designs in the future! That won't be for several months, if not a full year. But I have some new ideas lined up already. Mostly I just want to see how this team treats me.
Good luck, Zorafim!

My friend recommended I post my animations as well, so here are what I have so far.
Your friend was probably right, but after watching Wispel's two moves.... I feel too bummed out to really say much.

Maybe another forum-goer will engage you about these attack animations, but I don't really want to mentally dwell in a "combat mode" stae-of-mind.

And, unfortunately, as we already discussed in our previous posts, most games only offer progression via hostile interaction......

.....so......

.....there really isn't anything to be done when confined to Pokemon's fundamental RPG mechanics.

Like, even if you added "healing" moves.....

.......the battles only end when you defeat foes......

So you can't "beat" them through peaceful pacification, hypnotic unconsciousness, or other methods of dispelling the hostilities of wild Pokemon....

***sighes****

However!

These videos DID reveal something I previously failed to ask about:

3 of your creature-names are now known: Vatera, Wispel and Calament.

But.....

1.) what are ALL the names of your custom-creatures?

2.) Do you have nicknames for your specific partners?
Or do they only get referred to by their whole species' name?

3.) Where are your custom creatures actually found in the wild of both the Kanto & Johto regions?

4.) Did you add any other Wild Pokemon encounters?

Like, maybe making wild Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle appear somewhere?

Or wild Eevee/Farfetchd/Jynx/Mr.Mime/Lickitung/Lapras?

Or later evolutions like wild Nidoking/Nidoqueen/Golem/Machamp/Gengar/Alakazam?

Or maybe wild Scizor/Steelix/Ampharos/Blissey/Tyranitar?

Or anything at all that isn't normally found freely in the real games?