Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Someone needs to explain why a laser should be used. What can it do that other ranger weapons cannot do better? I ask this in all sincerity. I've yet to buy a PA for laser since it is unclear what the excellence of a laser is.

It can pierce through multiple enemies. If I remember correctly,
    it can hit up to three people in a single line. The only downside
    is the SE. That's not the point though. The Laser was meant to
    deal more damage than it was to SE. That's where people
    misunderstand the use of a Laser.

I have a fighgunner lvl 57. I couldnt imagine just using one weapon(double saber). My pallete always has a variety of the weapons I can use. and if I have more then my palette can hold I always have more with me. Never just one weapon. Just doesnt seem fun to me.

I use the heck out of swords (mainly tornado break), knuckles (both store bought PA's) and axes (anga durega) on my Fortefighter. On my fortegunner, I carry shotguns (fire since since the proc rate seems effective enough to continually stick mobs and ice to combo with my virus crossbow), grenage launchers (correctly - by pinning enemies into the wall for hunters), crossbows (ice, shock and virus) and even the occasional cannon.

Guess I'm weird.

On 2007-03-06 13:24, akratic wrote:
    Someone needs to explain why a laser should be used. What can it do that other ranger weapons cannot do better? I ask this in all sincerity. I've yet to buy a PA for laser since it is unclear what the excellence of a laser is.
    Laser is an easy one to use, you just have to pick your moments. The same way a slicer was used back in PSO you pretty much lined up the enemies you wanted to attack from a distance and let it rip *sorry beyblade ._.*

Same with the laser i wouldn't suggest using it all the time but there are areas where many enemies pop in a line or even can't dodge the laser's width, such as tunnels and doorways. Gotta remember every weapon isn't about maximum output it's about helping the party to it's goal. I think of laser more of a support weapon than anything else. Wouldn't suggest soloing with laser at all, tough buisness if you tried xD

On 2007-03-06 15:12, -Rune- wrote:Gotta remember every weapon isn't about maximum output it's about helping the party to it's goal.
    Oh, ok, thanks. I didn't realize that.

I know what a laser does and that if enemies are all lined up it can hit them. I just am not sure that this is entirely useful - even when "it's about helping the party to it's [sic] goal." I mean, those ageetas (sp?) in the narrow trails on neudaiz aren't too threatening to the parties I'm in. Perhaps in Grove it'd be good, but I don't know how wide the shot is. And is it worth causing damage if you cannot cause status effects? Could use grenades, or strafe with xbows, etc, instead and do damage and apply multiple status effects.

In other words, why spend a pa slot on something so limited in its use, and even when useful (that is, when it could hit a lot of stuff) it is really unremarkable apart from being able to hit a lot of stuff?

Lasers are underused because they suck. Damage is only really useful in certain situations, they're impossible to level, status level sucks, blah blah. Grenades have that knockback thing and they have good status at higher levels, plus they can own De Ragan, but they can eat PP up fast and have that annoying arc fire that reqires some time to get used to.

That said, I picked up Mayalee Prism and I have to say the knockdown effect it has makes Lasers a hell of a lot more useful.

Traps, Traps, Traps, and Traps.

They're great for burn/infect/poison/sleep ect. and they can be your best friend against tightly packed mobs, and tough enemies. Too many people ignore them that can use them,,,

Crossbows.

More people need to use them.

Got mine level up, never looked back.
    Lunamarie / RA36 / HU3 / FO19

Crossbows.

My GT uses them...maybe too damn much. I only have 2 elements that haven't gotten past 21 yet (light and lightning). I'm such a fanatic for this weapon that my friends call me a crossbow whore. xD

I played with another Guntecher, and she had ALL her crossbow bullets at level 30. I almost cried at the monumental beauty of it, lol. I think it'll be safe to say she'll be pwning when that S rank crossbow gets into her hands.

More people need to start using them, because this is an awesome weapon when you invest time into it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hikaru-san on 2007-03-06 18:26 ]</font>