Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My palette is pretty much fixed right now - I only got one slot left for an "AoE"-weapon to kill mobs of small/medium stuff.
    At the moment I use double sabers with gravity dance for that purpose(and only for that) but used twin daggers with renkai buyou-zan before and kinda liked them too. Since I already use spears for dus duggas - I think that robado might be a viable option too.
    (I don't like swords that much - therefore I won't list them)

Comparing these three(psupedia):
    Gravity Dance L30(54pp):
    Hits: 2x4(flinch on 4th) -> 3x2(flinch) -> 3x1(launch)
    ATP: 120% -> 130% -> 130%
    Renkai Buyo-zan L30(48pp):
    Hits: 2x3 -> 3x2 -> 3x4(blow away)
    ATP: 118% -> 128% -> 138%
    Dus Robado L30(66pp)
    Hits: 3x1(flinch) -> 3x2(flinch) -> 3x2(blow away)
    ATP: 135% -> 145% -> 155%

Gravity dance and renkai seem kinda similar to me although a full gravity combo doesn't blow away and renkai doesn't flinch enemies. Robado flinches on every hit but blows away on combo 3 too PLUS it's the most expensive of the three.

Now I need some advice from more experienced meleers for what they think is the best option to do AoE-damage and why

Thanks in advance

Del Devi

If you're absolutely going to avoid Sword, I guess go with Gravity Dance... not because I like the PA much (it's the least "AOE" of the three) but because Double Sabers have a multi-hit 4-target combo as their regular attack, which makes for fantastic damage output. Allegedly.

If you want to get serious, Sword w/ Tornado Break is the the right tool and the right skill for the job. HUGE reach and 3x1 sweep for basic attack, allowing you to deal AOE damage while conserving energy... and the skill is the best suited to mass combat.
    * tied for the lowest cost
    * best damage modifier of the lot (together with most damaging weapon class)
    * flinch 3 targets on the first move, instead of leaving one guy clear to interrupt your PA
    * little PP-efficiency lost if you avoid using the full combo (e.g. try to pin enemies in place for other AOE's with flinches, instead of blowing away)
    * most targets blown away if you need to do crowd control

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: panzer_unit on 2007-07-25 10:46 ]</font>
    with great hat comes great responsibility
    Jagdpanzer lv130 M CAST - PT20 | FG20 | FF20 | Mewn Fan

I would say go with Renkai, since that’s my favorite of the three, but Dus Robado is another good choice too.

As far as a PA analysis, Gravity Dance is one of my lowest rated PAs in the game. It has a low ATP mod that stops growing after level 20 (as you posted earlier) and an incredibly low number of hits/full combo, hoping to make that up with the ATP boosts on each part. Unfortunately, Gravity Dance’s damage usually falls short compared to Renkai (though a lot of people tend to argue that this is to make up for the lack of flinching in Renkai) unless you’re dealing with high DFP mobs. However, on high DFP mobs, you’re better off with Robado. It also has a very nice ATA mod, which is great since double sabers have such a low base value.

Renkai probably has the highest potential damage of any photon art in the game. However, it’s hindered by the low ATP of twin daggers and low ATP mod of the photon. This is easily corrected with high percent weapons though. The lack of flinches and short range leave you fairly open to attack until the end of the last move. Also it lasts longer than the other 2 when spamming the skill.

Dus Robado is pretty nice. Third highest ATP melee weapon coupled with a high PA ATP mod and a 15 hit combo. It also has a range as wide as Tornado Break. The only real problem is that the first move of the combo is fairly slow and leaves a lot of openings for attacks. And, as was stated earlier, it’s the best AoE PA for higher level enemies. It runs out of PP the fastest, however.

Renkai has too ridiculous a range to even be considered an AoE PA, so you can rule it out from the start.

Of those listed, Gravity Dance is definitely the best; huge range and really good damage.

Dus Robado is powerful and has decent range, but the PP cost on Fighgunner is ghastly.

If you're a fighgunner, definitely Gravity Dance.

Unless you're get a super high element % Twin Dagger Renkai is pretty sucky compared to the other AoEs since it's been nerfed. Even then I think only Fortefighters can really bring it's power properly because of their higher ATP.

I find Gravity Dance is amazing as an AoE or just PA in general, the first Combo is only 2 targets but the rest is 3 targets and the last attack has a huge attack boost, letting you do 1k damage easily even with a crappy 14% element so it takes less effort than getting a good pair of Twin Daggers to perform good AoE damage. Hell because of Combo 3, I find Gravity Dance to be a great boss killing PA as well for the Ragans/Omna/Dimmas types.

The Storm Is About To Rage
    Ship 9
    Male Human - HU65 | FI64 | BR65
    Female Newman - FO65 | HU40 | TE65 | FI65 | BR65 | RA33
    Female Cast - RA65 | GU65 | HU65 | BR47

Double sabers are an AoE weapon anyway, so Gravity Dance is a natural fit for them. At the moment it's my AoE PA of choice. The lack of knockback makes it more party-friendly as well.

Dus Robado is good too, probably the only real drawback is the PP cost. As a fighgunner you'll run a spear dry in no time.

Renkai is the worst of all the AoEs in my opinion. The short range means you're gonna get knocked out of it A LOT. Even if the full combo can potentially be the most damaging, that doesn't matter when you rarely have the chance to pull it off.

Thanks for the advices - they kinda confirmed my opinion on those PAs.
    Guess I'll stick with my double saber for the time being then and maybe try out robado(or tornado break) when I switch to FF

I like rabado...but you're on empty with PP really fast.

Renkai...why the hate? But then, I'm a beast WT so the ATP makes it work. I just wished it flinched as good as rabado.

Donkey Show Coordinator

Robaddo is the best. But it wont last long as a Fighgunner. Gravity Dance isnt anything Special imo. Lower Damage Modify on a weak weapon, might aswell use Renkai.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phetty on 2007-07-26 22:16 ]</font>

Mechanized Combat Engineer Freshellent's Avatar

You know,I think Robado is your best option. Just saying it damages better,better range Just a better PA in general. Gravity isn't that great of a PA,just looks flashy and shows you a nice big number at the end.

I usually don't use Renkai because it's short range and I feel it's better on small mobs. I just personally feel better with the spear. "Safer" if you will.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Icespike on 2007-07-26 22:59 ]</font>
    Veteran of the former Universe 11. PSO2 -Ship 02-