View Poll Results: I'm ONLY doing these two because, admitedly, I never got to play the older ones due to availability

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Morrowind

3 25.00%
  • Oblivion

7 58.33%
  • Neither. They both sucked

2 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Flying high in the sky with a fly in your eye.

I'm ONLY doing these two because, admitedly, I never got to play the older ones due to availability and OS compatability.

And since I recently found my GoTY Morrowind disks.

Despite Oblivion having better graphics and a far better combat system, I would have to say that Morrosind is the better one. Reasons are-
    1- FAR tougher. You can't git the broadside of a stationary aircraft carrier at point blank range with weapons. As for spells, Oblivion seems to never have a spell casting failure issue. Oblivion is also dumbed down. Even on the hardest setting it's STILL too easy to clear.
    2- Better storyline.
    3- Better personality.
    4- Skills and birthsigns in Morrowind have actual uses.

I'll try and think of more while I'm at work. Untill then, discuss.

I couldn't really say. Both games have strong points. Oblivion has better graphics, physics, combat, etc. Morrowind had the better storyline, more content, and better expansions.

And the birthsigns don't have a use in either game. The Atronoch is far too broken to chose anything else.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

I enjoy both, both have their positives and negatives. Riding a horse is very cool in Oblivion, but I wish they used the map system from Morrowind. Where you can actually see the area you explored. Oblivion may be a tad dumbed down, but I never played it for the story. I just like wandering and exploring, collecting crazy items and have a stronghold with intense weapons. I like the battles in Oblivion though very much so, with multiple allies and enemies.
    Orange Hand. CZ-75b.

Theres actually a mod that improves the Morrowind combat system slightly... Morrowind is tougher in the early levels as you can get wtf owned by a rat >.> and Cliff racers... oh god the cliff racers...

Morrowind is definitely funner... But I think Oblivion had the better speechcraft set up.

The Thief was the best birthsign for pretty much all archery and melee classes in Oblivion. Not in Morrowind though.

As for me, hard to say. The enviroment and world in Morrowind was larger and more deep, but I prefer the gameplay of Oblivion so much more.

Both games, however, are two of the best modern RPGs, that can be said for sure.

Customary AWESOME Title Solstis's Avatar

There are no cliff racers in Oblivion. Oblivion wins.

I have to say that there was a tad bit more variety in environments in morrowind compared to oblivion, but overall, I enjoyed oblivion more than morrowind.

On 2007-10-23 20:54, Solstis wrote:
    There are no cliff racers in Oblivion. Oblivion wins.
    You can't fly in Oblivion without mods. Morrowind wins!

I Dream Of Sleep

I prefered Oblivion over Morrowind simply because there was more direction. Morrowind was so open ended that you could just wander off into the wilderness...then struggle to find your way back to the main story. I must have started the first part of Morrowind three or four times, got lost each time and then obliterated by tough enemies.

However, the world of Morrowind did seem to offer more to the player. Getting to the first city and...liberating the houses from a local NPC was fun and I know several players who were satisfied with setting up their own little home there. It was nice that you could buy homes in Oblivion, but without being able to put your own input into the items (Most of the stuff you found was useless, calipers and paintbrushes im looking at you) stored their they came across as lifeless.

But even though Oblivion didnt offer as much, it still comes back to me feeling like i was getting somewhere and had some direction in the game.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Combat was better in Oblivion, but everything else was better in Morrowind. The thing I really didn't like about Oblivion was the scaled enemies and garbage loot.

In Morrowind, if you ended up someplace you shouldn’t be, and walk in to a dungeon meant for advanced players, you got your ass kicked. I liked that. That means I had something to work towards. Level up, come back later. In Oblivion, I could pretty much raid the entire game after a few levels unless I cranked the difficulty all the way up.

The looting in Morrowind was FAR superior. In Oblivion, no matter where you were or what level chest it was, the loot was garbage (unless is was for a quest). Really good items only came from drops. In Morrowind, I remember working up my Sneak skill so I could roll into the House treasuries and rip the place off. Free Glass Armor is awesome. I stole my way to the top in Morrowind. The only thing sneaking was good for in Oblivion was criticals.