Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

On 2007-12-04 17:55, Golto wrote:
    Be kinda difficult to find the space on a ps2 disc to cover even more data.
    Now i don't know how much space AOI takes up on a PS2 disc or even how much PSU took up, however we seem to be forgetting what is on PSU that is not on AOI: the 40-hour offline story mode. To me it seems like this would take up a great deal of space on a disc, what with all of the in-game cinematics that are no longer needed. The EP 2 story only spanned 10 or so chapters and took about 10 hours to complete. I would expect the same from EP 3. I don't know if anyone else agrees with me on this, but it seems like they could easily add more stuff to this game to add another episode along with more missions and weps for all

Waiting on NA server...

On 2007-12-04 18:10, YUKI_N wrote:
    I doubt PSU will jump ship from PS2 in japan. PS3 is a bomb, Xbox is an even bigger one, and Wii online support is laughable
    However, you'd be hard pressed to find a person in a highly technological society without a *computer* these days.

Not that they don't exist, but it seems like the definite route for PSU to expand.

On 2007-12-04 19:29, Pengfishh wrote:
    So, by and large, the PS2 is actually holding the game back. Hmph.
    Yeah, something like that. LOL

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polychrome on 2007-12-04 19:54 ]</font>

On 2007-12-04 19:20, Carlo210 wrote:
    On 2007-12-04 19:02, Chaosgyro wrote:
    Usually I'd be quick to assume this. However, Sony's been shipping recent PS3s without the PS2 hardware, so I'm not sure how well that would go.

But my guess is that future expansions will only run on the PC and Xbox 360.
    Call me ignorant, but what's so different about the PS3 from the other consoles? Why does going to PS3 exclude the others and vice versa?

Personally, I'd like to see them go to a more standard MMO format where they publish a load of content on a disk and then add fresh content over time via updates. The next gen consoles now have the hard drive space to handle it like a PC does with its mainsream MMORPGs.
    We'd like to see that happen, but, sadly, this game is also on PS2 which doesn't have a standard harddrive. The 360 does have a standard harddrive, though it can run without one. However, many games utilize it for updates and expansions (PSU, FFXI, and any game with downloadable content), making the harddrive a standard option for downloading stuff from the marketplace. The only reason why PSU cannot use downloadable content and updates is because the ps2 harddrive never caught on and is mainly only for people who play FFXI on it. The same can't be said about Xbox 360's harddrive as it's hugely common and basically a standard piece of the console.
    I was talking more for a true sequel than an expansion. I'm fine with the model for the current game. Also, I was wondering why the choice of architecture for PS3 seemed to exclude PC and 360 for a future game to the point where PS3 would itself be excluded. Unless that point itself was being made about an expansion...in which case I couldn't see it ditching the PS2 either. Once a game is on a platform it pretty much has to stick. (until a sequel!)

...this post is made of epic convolution

Waiting on NA server...

On 2007-12-04 20:16, Chaosgyro wrote:

I was talking more for a true sequel than an expansion. I'm fine with the model for the current game. Also, I was wondering why the choice of architecture for PS3 seemed to exclude PC and 360 for a future game to the point where PS3 would itself be excluded. Unless that point itself was being made about an expansion...in which case I couldn't see it ditching the PS2 either. Once a game is on a platform it pretty much has to stick. (until a sequel!)

...this post is made of epic convolution
    I was playing the original Everquest when they permanently dropped support for Windows 95. The old Direct X could no longer run the game. Needless to say, there were quite a few angry people, but what are you going to do?

I hate to say it, but it's not too uncommon for these types of games to abandon old platforms. One need only look at the Dreamcast for proof of that.

On 2007-12-04 20:06, Thanubis wrote:
    Both PSU and AoI and standard PS2 DVD-5 games so they are no larger than 4.7GB. They could still use a DVD-9 to get nearly 4GB more space.
    Hmmm... Now that you mention it...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Polychrome on 2007-12-04 20:21 ]</font>

I should dig up the first few articles about PSU - I'm fairly sure they said they were planning two expansions or sequels. I'll go looking for a bit and see what I find.

EDIT: http://www.pso-world.com/article.php?sid=1605
    I don't think that's what I was talking about, but that's going to have to do for now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2007-12-04 21:15 ]</font>

Well they've announced a PSP Phantasy Star based on PSU/AoI but obviously that won't be online in any way. So perhaps story-stuff will be moved to PSP PSU's while they pack the PC/Console discs full of online content?

I don't think they have any plans for PSU on the PSP in any form.

I know Naka raised the possibility of PSO on the PSP, but only as a way to shoot down the idea of PSO on the DS. I don't think he was actually serious about looking into it.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

On 2007-12-04 21:56, Sinue_v2 wrote:
    I don't think they have any plans for PSU on the PSP in any form.

I know Naka raised the possibility of PSO on the PSP, but only as a way to shoot down the idea of PSO on the DS. I don't think he was actually serious about looking into it.
    It was announced in this weeks Famitsu~ maybe I'll just make a thread for it.

I just don't see why they just can't make PSU PS2 ver a 2 disk game >.< Disk 1 for Story Mode and Disk 2 for Online Mode >.<

Yeah the could , but the question is do they want to.