Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Well...firstly i just ordered this game, cause i was a huge fan of PSO.
    And i read some stuff here and there, mostly on PSU`s homepage. And the game seems pretty much the same which i was hoping it was .

Although i start reading reviews and player comments on sites like IGN, gamespot or whatever.
    And i cant find anything but negativity and bad ratings .
    That noone play the game, u cant find teams and that the whole thing is broken.
    I really hate this with modern games as expextations are ofent ruined by thesee things...but its nothing i can do anyfrigging thing about either =P
    Now im just tore between exitment and demise for just ordeing something i might get really dissapointed with.

Now my Question(s) too you (and i put my final trust in you cause well...ur the real players) is as follows:

1.) how broken is this game for real?
    2.) is teamplay overall a burden?
    3.) is it the "same" as PSO in terms of feel and playability? Im thinking mostly how things work gameplaywise, like the item system ect.ect.
    4.) with the expansion comming soon, how many of the possible broken elements will improve? cause if it will it really doesnt metter =P.
    5.) Lastly, how is the community?

Now im a player that gives a crap about graphics,complaints,payment and minor faults. As long as i get gameplay and feel im tons happy. So im pretty sure i will like this game...after all i still like Anarchy Online lol.

AND please...PLEASE tell me the first boss is a huge-ugly-flamespewing-roaring-bigass-flying-dragon!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glantzer on 2008-01-16 17:13 ]</font>

sir Jao King of all Spam!!!

You will Love this game.

DA BANINATAH! GET TO DA CHOPPAH!!!

It's not a DRAGON. It's a DE RAGON. GET IT STRAIGHT. lol

Well it looks like a dragon too me >_>

*sob*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glantzer on 2008-01-16 17:24 ]</font>

Honestly:
    1) A few skills here and there are obviously overpowered, but if you team up with the right people you'll avoid them. If you're looking for completely balanced classes (think of a game with a good PVP system) this isn't it.

2) Teamplay could be better, but if SEGA makes the game difficult again, I think some of the finer points of teamplay will come back.

3) Will edit later

4) The expansion's out. All my comments reflect it.

5) Personally, I'm never thrilled with online communities. For the most part, PSU seems to have an older audience than most games of its type. That's a good thing. You'll occassionally run into a jerk, but not that often. The community is a bit small, though.

On 2008-01-16 17:09, Glantzer wrote:
    1.) how broken is this game for real?
    2.) is teamplay overall a burden?
    3.) is it the "same" as PSO in terms of feel and playability? Im thinking mostly how things work gameplaywise, like the item system ect.ect.
    4.) with the expansion comming soon, how many of the possible broken elements will improve? cause if it will it really doesnt metter =P.
    5.) Lastly, how is the community?

AND please...PLEASE tell me the first boss is a huge-ugly-flamespewing-roaring-bigass-flying-dragon!
    1) Melee is pretty broken currently, ST went a little overboard with the damage. Still, generally, it's ok.

2) Unless you're with a terrible team, no. Teamplay makes things much easier / enjoyable most of the time.

3) Don't expect PSO, seriously. Although they're both Phantasy Star games, they feel nothing like each other. Although that disappointed some people, it distinguishes the games from each other. PSU isn't meant to be another port of PSO, after all.

4) Expansion is out in most places now, only the European release date remains, as far as I know. The expansion made the original game a million times better, in loads of different ways, but there are still evident flaws. Look past the flaws, and you have a relatively solid game, I guess.

5) Like any other online game. You have really cool people who are fun to play with, and you have undesirables too. Generally, if you want a game (at least on PC/PS2 online), go to Universe 2. If you want to get a taste of spam-central, go to Universe 2. >_>

And yes, the 'first' boss (though there's no real order to do places in) is a large red fire-breathing Dragon, called 'De Ragan'. Yeah, great name. (De Ragan, not De Ragon. >_>)

PSU is a decent game (I wouldn't be playing it otherwise), but a lot of people here will idolise it, and say it's the best thing since, well, PSO. It's a decent game, as was PSO. In some areas (like the combat system) it beats PSO. One thing I've always thought about PSU though is that it has no 'soul'. It just feels like an empty shell of a game sometimes.

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

its a good game, youll like it. and on the bad review note, most of them are just stuck up jerks that write a bad review for the hell of it
    Brandon-Lvl 140 fortegunner-20

Never giving up

The reviews were mostly also written when the game had no content. Though, getting a party together for some of that new content can be hard due to some missions (Fulkis, and some AOI missions) give 30-40X the MP/s you can get anywhere else.

And yes, it lacks the "soul" that PSO had. other then that it's a great game.

I mostly love the, loggin, 1 min later = on feild killing stuff, just like PSO. No waiting for partys or anything stupid like that for the most part is great when you have limited time to play.

I totally see your point on the reviews Jasam, kinda relized it just now. But what do u mean about the content? Isnt AOI mishes IS new content? Am i wrong?

Well...so far it seems this is the game for me.
    By all means i wasnt expecting PSO litterally! I just wanted too know if the base idea is the same.
    If i still wanted PSO id play PSO easilly...and i did until the end =P But the freeservers kinda clenched the life out of it i guess. One of the bigger likes from PSO for me was the rarity system...i just had too get all thoose 15 star goodies! Even though the spread needler and its godmode popped a few of my ballons.
    Thanking god if they didnt port it

As for the teaming part it seems ok at worst, which is waaaaaay better then Anarchy Online lol.

And well im in Norway so its expansion time the 25th!

Also, if some skills+classes are a little overpowering compared too the others that doesnt mean no fun. Id be happy too live with that as this aint a PvP game at all. (i hope lol) Always hated PvP in MMOMMORPG anyways. The game is pretty static aswell as if im not totally wrong, so flaws like that really doesnt add up for me as long as its not ruining anything for the other players

Thanks for the quick replies btw! "points up crooked thumb"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Glantzer on 2008-01-16 17:58 ]</font>

1) The game is about as broken as generally most online games that require balancing are. This is of course barring people who use glitches and sploits in the game such as Machine Gun Glitch or Dammegid stacking or whatever that thing was. Compared to when the game was first released, things are a whole lot easier to do in general. But you can still find a missions that can be somewhat challenging if you look.

2) Team play is a quite an ambiguous concept here. There isn't much teamwork required in this game unless you mean you step on one switch while someone else steps on another so you can kill more guys. If thats the kind of Team work you want them you'll love PSU. Don't expect anything like PSO's C-mode, except for maybe Bruce's Mission which is the closest to C-mode we've gotten, but the community didn't seem to like it much so I'm doubtful we'll see more missions like that.

3) Thats quite the subjective question. I've been playing PSO since version 1.0 for the Dreamcast. I've met quite a few like minded people and when we all finally got PSU a lot of those people where unsatisfied with PSU and stopped playing. The Tech casting system is very different, you're spells don't lock on, you have to aim them. Yes even the Gi, and Ra, spells. Personally I was never big into techers and everything to me seems like a step up from PSO. Things are much faster pace and overall have a much more enjoyable feel to perform then PSO. The Just attack system provides a semblance of PSO's three hit melee combo system which you can choose to be either a weak hit, Hard hit, Special hit. The difference is that instead of weak hit, hard hit, special hit, there is normal attack then Photon Art attack. The Normal attacks require no PP, while the photon arts ( you're main damage attack) require PP to perform. Successful normal attacks regain PP while Just attack normal attacks regain your PP faster. Doing a just attack Photon art provides for Massive damage since Just attacks make all of your Attacks critical hits. The drawback though is the timing. On the nimble weapons such as Daggers, Claws or Sabres this is no problem since the attack animation is short. But for the Slower weapons like Axe or Sword, you're left very open for attack since you have to wait for the very last possible frame before you initiated your next attack for a Just attack.

4) A lot of the broken elements where fixed with a patches before the expansion. Character stats, Shop search function, Lobby Transportation, Death Penalties, etc. Several people feel that its made the game too easy and I agree with it. Before all of the updates, PSU felt like PSO version 2.0 Ultimate. Now the game feels like PSO Episode 1 and 2 for Gamecube, PC, Sexbox, and whatever platform they released the game for.

5) Another subjective question. Overall I find the community to be pleasant. Of course you always have your bad apples but thats with every game. There are certainly some very unique and flamboyant characters who play this game, and all the drama that occurs provides for some very enjoyable lulz. 360 Population is "OLOL XBOX IS HUEG" especially when compared to PC/PS2 servers which is almost as thin as the new Macbook. Hackers, poor service from Sega, and various other circumstance have caused the population to dwindle. While PC/and PS2 servers are connected, the amount of people that play it are very low.

Finally I'll end with this. While this game is part of the Phantasy Star Series, and will incorporate some content from PSO, remember this. PSU and PSO are two different games. Don't expect to be playing PSO when you start, expect to play PSU and yes, the first boss is a dragon.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."