Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    I'm so cool--Now off to the comic shop! >D

I would just like to know who hasn't gotten their Powerboard yet? o.o;

Mine's not here yet

Neither has mine, but I do hope it comes in this week though.

Erm...mine better come monday =/

It's funny, how we, I'm sure, all paid for something better than 12 week delivery; however, it still feels like we're getting 12 week delivery. ;x I think they should reimburse us all of delivery and half of the keyboard for all this BS going on.

Rappy Hunter

i ordered mine and hope it comes soon or im gonna flip out

I actually had a dream, this morning, that even though it was Sunday the postman came into my room and handed me a keyboard shaped box with the words KEYBOARD stamped on it. I then woke up.

Technical Wizardry

On 2003-04-19 19:19, alland wrote:
    Someone that has an Action Replay, can you CONFIRM that they Datel keyboard works to enter codes?

My JP keyboard does not work on the AR or my adapter that is in U.S. mode. Does this mean the Datel keyboard/adapter is in U.K. mode or something else?
    Very interesting...

I believe that in order for you to be able to enter AR codes with ANY keyboard currently available, the AR programming would have to support the exact same keyboard interface protocol that PSO uses. Since the gamecube doesn't even recognize a keyboard device until PSO boots up, and since no other game I've tried supports a keyboard, this leads me to believe that said interface protocol is part of PSO's programming and not built into the GCN itself. In short... this means that waaaay back when these guys were developing the AR, they would have had to decode PSO's keyboard interface and use the same one with the AR... and I don't think that's very likely.

As for this mystery of which region Datel's keyboard is set to... All the evidence I've seen points to it being set to the JP region. But there's a real easy way to confirm this. Someone with a Datel keyboard, go do this simple test:

1) Set your game's language setting to Japanese.
    2) Start any offline single player or online multiplayer game.
    3) Hold down the Alt key and start typing.

If you see characters in the funky PSO font come up, then Datel's keyboard definitely uses a JP device ID. If not, then either their adapter code doesn't support the Alt key, or their keyboard uses a different region ID. From my experience, only a keyboard set to the JP device ID can be used to produce the PSO font.

Whatever the case may be, it's pretty obvious that Datel didn't put a lot of effort into this product. Every last one of the problems being reported could have been avoided with only a small ammount of testing and debugging on Datel's part. It's one thing to fall a little short of developing a universal adapter... but it's totally inexcusable to not make sure the adapter is 100% compatible with the supplied keyboard. Very very sloppy...

Hey Allan... maybe you and I should send Datel our resumes. Sounds like they could use some better hardware engineers over there.

Student...electrical engineering

On 2003-04-20 16:18, Layrinn wrote:
    On 2003-04-19 19:19, alland wrote:
    Someone that has an Action Replay, can you CONFIRM that they Datel keyboard works to enter codes?

My JP keyboard does not work on the AR or my adapter that is in U.S. mode. Does this mean the Datel keyboard/adapter is in U.K. mode or something else?
    Very interesting...

I believe that in order for you to be able to enter AR codes with ANY keyboard currently available, the AR programming would have to support the exact same keyboard interface protocol that PSO uses. Since the gamecube doesn't even recognize a keyboard device until PSO boots up, and since no other game I've tried supports a keyboard, this leads me to believe that said interface protocol is part of PSO's programming and not built into the GCN itself. In short... this means that waaaay back when these guys were developing the AR, they would have had to decode PSO's keyboard interface and use the same one with the AR... and I don't think that's very likely.

As for this mystery of which region Datel's keyboard is set to... All the evidence I've seen points to it being set to the JP region. But there's a real easy way to confirm this. Someone with a Datel keyboard, go do this simple test:

1) Set your game's language setting to Japanese.
    2) Start any offline single player or online multiplayer game.
    3) Hold down the Alt key and start typing.

If you see characters in the funky PSO font come up, then Datel's keyboard definitely uses a JP device ID. If not, then either their adapter code doesn't support the Alt key, or their keyboard uses a different region ID. From my experience, only a keyboard set to the JP device ID can be used to produce the PSO font.

Whatever the case may be, it's pretty obvious that Datel didn't put a lot of effort into this product. Every last one of the problems being reported could have been avoided with only a small ammount of testing and debugging on Datel's part. It's one thing to fall a little short of developing a universal adapter... but it's totally inexcusable to not make sure the adapter is 100% compatible with the supplied keyboard. Very very sloppy...

Hey Allan... maybe you and I should send Datel our resumes. Sounds like they could use some better hardware engineers over there.
    lol...I think they could use some REAL engineering help. I wouldn't mind a good paying engineering job!

Anyways, I just want to hook my 'scope up tp one of these Datel adapters to see what ID code is comming our of it! It oule be really easy to do as Layrinn also knows. This is how we made OUR adapters in the first place...lota 'scope looking and observing.

You are right in the fact that the GCN does not actually support the keyboard...or I believe, any device except for a controller at boot up to configure the GCN settings in the setup menu.

I looked at the keyboard signal plugged in with another game. The GCN will not even accept the ID code of the keyboard if PSO is not running! All support for the keyboard is via the PSO software. This would mean that ALL support for AR is through the AR software as well. From what I am seeing I hope Datel did not develop a unique protocol just for their AR device. This is not cool.

Most likely software developers that are going to be making future games will make them based off of the ORIGINAL ascii controller and I don't think the Datel one is the piece of engineering work that we all were anticipating it to be. As Layrinn said...very, very sloppy work here.

I am still thinking of getting one so I can see what makes it 'tick.'

I think Datel is taking too much advantage of the need for a PSO keyboard and have, can I say "quickly", slopped together something and are mass marketing it. People that are wanting one are buying them up because of the price and the demand!

My advice...get a ASCII keyboard or look into one of our adatpers that me or Layrinn make. I think they are of a much higher quality solution.

Layrinn provides all the information to make one from scratch with a few parts from Digi-key and your local Radio Shack. Look at his web site. It is pretty neat. It is at:

http://www.pantsofevilgamers.com/kb

I sell a fully assembled or in kit form product.

Me and Layrinn put A LOT of quality time into our products (adapters)...I am not saying buy one of ours...but I believe there are other solutions out there besides Datel. I know they are $19.99, but are you really getting what you pay for...

My racking number says its to be delieverd tommorrow. But nobody seemed to read my post..if you call the number I said earlier you can get your shipping money back. I did this and had all my shipping fully returned. Then they also gave me the tracking number for the package.

anyways..

I read on the codejunkies.com fourm that the KB will only work with AR v1.07 or something. Because 1.06 was out before the KB was released. So i dunno..