Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I'd think GitS would be pretty easy to translate. Its could be a sci-fi, crime, suspense, thriller. Similar to like...I'unno, Se7en or something, with some CGI and cyberpunk thrown in.

If anything I'd think Thulsa Doom and Akira would be hard to translate. Thulsa Doom because I kinda see it being hard to make a movie based on an evil villain, makes it hard for the audience to want to root for me. And before you say What about Magneto? Magneto isn't all that evil. Akira woulda be ahrd to translate simply because its waaay weird and out there I think. What with psionic children that look like Louie Anderson and Liza Manelli and rape and giant tentacle monsters.
    Last edited by Toadthroat; Nov 19, 2008 at 02:45 PM.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

The biggest problem with GitS is that if it is true to the source material, no one is going to know what the hell is going on except for fans. Shirow is known for not bothering to explain terminology and leaving the reader to figure it out for themselves. I own every piece of GitS related material that's hit a DVD or printed media, and the lexicon is outrageous. I find it hard to believe that they can achieve the same depth of story and setting without compromising it's integrity by dumbing it down for people new to the series.

Refreshing Minty Flavor Puppet_Papaya's Avatar

What? Where's Scott Pilgrim vs. The World?

I hope to hell GitS does not get the greenlight, I'd rather not see one of my favorite series of anything, ever, get ruined (I'm on of t hose nutcases with all the movies, seasons, manga, and books in his collection.)

Quote Originally Posted by Puppet_Papaya View Post
    What? Where's Scott Pilgrim vs. The World?
    Pre-production? I dunno. Michael Cera is supposed to be playing Scott Pilgrim.

(Huh, and Michael Cera is also supposed to be playing the main character from Kick-Ass.)

"Pokemon Prove Evolutionism Is False" Shattered_weasel's Avatar
    In the ER room with the lovely and talented George Clooney.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    (Huh, and Michael Cera is also supposed to be playing the main character from Kick-Ass.)
    Does Mark Millar really need another movie. Especially one with a comic that has not even 10 issues.

It's hard to explain why but I have really taken offence to the fact that Akira and Ghost In The Shell are on that list. I respect Spielberg but that mother fucker is out of his mind if he thinks he can do a live action version of GITS. And don't even get me started on Akira.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    Are you kidding? I have an open mind and all, but I see no possible way for GitS to be a good translation.
    It's very possible that GitS will be an excellent translation. It'll be a box office flop if it does, most likely, or will be relegated to "cult" status with only meager returns. I don't hold out much hope for them to make it good - but there's always that one in a million chance Stephen Spielburg will wake up one morning and say... "Hey, you know what... I have enough money... Let's do GitS for the story, cinematography, the philosophy, and for the thinking crowd".

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!