Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: District 9

Whiskey/Newearl Addict Lance813's Avatar

Default District 9

I'm going to see it in a little while. I'll critique it when I get back.

Furou-uen | Rhysa | Aeryssa | Lance

Yes, please let me know what the big deal is about this movie because from the trailer's, it does not look special.
    Forget Backspacing, Delete that S***

Saw this last night. It was a decent movie, I think Neil Blommkamp is going to make some great movies in his career. I'm just pissed that the plot had almost nothing to do with the trailers...but I expect that with all movies these days. The biggest disappointment for me was that I kept thinking the whole time that I could be watching the Halo movie.

Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

Your Halo movie will still be coming, most likely.

Ok, here's what I thought:

Neil Blommkamp is a genius. Throughout this summer of huge ass action films and bullshit romantic-sappy-shit this movie stands alone. On the drive home I was thinking of how to address this in the my thread.

I can't. This is most original movie that I have ever seen. I don't even have anything to compare this film with. I'm a movie junkie, I've seen all sorts of films. The way that the main character changes throughout the movie is impressive. He goes from being this nerdy, government man to this heroic figure.

The effects were not very good in this movie, but remember, this is not a Hollywood production. It is actually a North African film. Its made very well though, the alien technology was beautiful, and the aliens themselves were very well put together; the only bad parts of CGI are the bloody explosions. (which there are many of!)

The previews were a little misleading but after thinking about it a bit I had myself in a different perspective when I first watched them. After seeing the movie now they all kind of fall into place.

Over all I would say that you will enjoy this movie if you are fans of the following:

Dr. Zoidberg
    Shaun from the movie Shaun of the Dead
    Cock/dog-fighting (and or Michael Vick)
    Escaflowne

Actually, just go see the movie if you seem interested in it at all.

Overall, I'd give it a 4.5, but the concept for the movie is a 5.

If anyone knows of any other movies that are similar to this please let me know. I am interested now.

My friend and I were wanting to see this movie. Seeing some good comments about it is reassuring, especially since the last movie we saw (Harry Potter: The Half-Blood Prince) sucked ass... >_<

My FFXIV:ARR Lodestone Page
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-8097-4335
    Currently playing: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, Hearthstone

I actually thought that was one of the better ones, but only because they all suck ass, haha. Nothing like the book, and way too short.

Neil Blomkamp was working on the Halo movie script for 6 months. Then, from what I heard, he decided to not make or something and in that very same day, started making ideas for what would soon become District 9. Funny, we find District 9 taking place in Africa, like Halo. Looks like he ripped off a few ideas from what he goatherd from Halo's story.

I actually heard yesterday that Spielberg got a hold of Neil's script for the Halo movie and loved it. Rumor has it that Spielberg may be producing this Halo movie. It's supposed to be based off the first novel then have 2 more sequels based on the novels after the first one.
    Fingers crossed, Spielberg makes this Halo movie a masterpiece.

Sometime last year I saw the original District 9 short film on youtube {according to a quick search, it is titled 'Alive in Joburg' and is from 2005. allegedly.}, and even at that time I believe it had been posted for a year or more. That may or may not throw a wrench into the Halo-theft theory, but I couldn't confirm it.

I thought the concept was a bit different, sort of like Alien Nation with a more 'believable' extraterrestrial species. Seeing that 'pilot' was enough for me to decide against seeing the feature-length version in the theatre, but I may Netflix it later, based on what I'm hearing so far.
    Last edited by Phaesphora; Aug 15, 2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeTippedGun View Post
    Neil Blomkamp was working on the Halo movie script for 6 months. Then, from what I heard, he decided to not make or something and in that very same day, started making ideas for what would soon become District 9. Funny, we find District 9 taking place in Africa, like Halo. Looks like he ripped off a few ideas from what he goatherd from Halo's story.
    Not at all what happened. The reason the Halo movie project was halted was due to Universal and Fox not "getting along". Neill Blomkamp and Peter Jackson decided to create this film based on a short Blomkamp had done years ago called Alive in Joburg. He didn't rip off any ideas from Halo, unless you consider aliens or the entire continent of Africa to be a Halo created idea. The reason he chose to make the story in Johannesburg is because that is where he actually grew up.

Movie looks really good, and I've heard lots of positive reviews from a bunch of different sources. Looking forward to seeing it soon.

"Pokemon Prove Evolutionism Is False" Shattered_weasel's Avatar
    In the ER room with the lovely and talented George Clooney.

It's like E.T. with Black Hawk Down. Two very good movies join together and become an excellent movie.