Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well, I don't believe that for a second.
    I think mainly the reason their server isn't with ours is because of the regions, not because they didn't want US/Eu players there.
    It's easier to have 1 set of language for menus, items and whatnot.
    If there were US/Eu, or any other country, players there would need to be different language packs.
    Plus, importing from Japan would make the game lag due to being far away, wouldn't it?
    (Though, for some reason, the JP game plays 100% better on my laptop than the US game. Maybe that's just in my head).

If anything, we non-Jp players are less welcome from the players, not SEGA.
    Making money, whether it be from Americans, Europeans, Brazilians, or anywhere else in the world, is money they want.
    No company out there would refuse service from so many people.

But, a little bit of contradiction here, like I said in the last post, the JP players that I've interacted with weren't very unwelcoming at all.
    I said "Hello" and they responded with "Hello", but when I tried further talking to them, they said they don't understand much English.

Which is not "GTFO English!".

All I ever do is ask friends to join the jp servers. If they say no, so be it. All I can do is speak from experience, I like it over there and the fact that I don't own an Xbox and am not going to buy one helps. For the ones interested, it is nice there and I haven't went once without someone to run with. For those of you not interested why should you care?
    Blogsrus.org (new site) be first to help get it up and running

Tianna: Lvl 160 F Cast..GM 20, FM 15, PT 15, FG 20, FF 15, Fg 10
    Sierra Fawn: Lvl 50 F Human..FF 11
    Witch Weigh: Lvl 75 F Newman..FT 14
    April A. Wine: Lvl 42 F Beast..FF 11

Simple and to the point trade list here http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151882

Quote Originally Posted by DuRaL View Post
    with not being welcome on the server, i meant Sega and probably the majority of the japanese playerbase don't want gaijin to play there.. otherwise the servers would've been linked with ours..
    The majority of them don't really care. The same way a majority of us don't care if Japanese players play on the 360. I don't recall ever booting someone from the party because they couldn't speak english. It's not like you have to coordinate efforts in order to beat a level in this game. So lack of verbal communication doesn't affect you 90% of the time (statistics made up as usual).

It might cause a problem if I'm trying to time attack, or doing a new partner mission for the first time where no one else knows the map (i.e. Security Breach), but that's about it.

PSO Assassin

If anything, we non-Jp players are less welcome from the players, not SEGA.
    Making money, whether it be from Americans, Europeans, Brazilians, or anywhere else in the world, is money they want.
    No company out there would refuse service from so many people.
    i see your point there. however, i've heared Capcom for example bans non-japanese players from Monter Hunter Frontier. I believe Sega might do that, too, but.. it's Sega, they're lazy ;P

So your argument with the language makes more sense to me. Yet, i believe that the real reason why the servers were seperated is Sega's experience with PSO. They probably wanted to prevent American hackers from destroying the game for their japanese playerbase (which is their core playerbase after all). They seperated the servers in PSOBB for the same reason..

EDIT: Connection/Lag can't be the reason, otherwise the Europeans would have their own server, too. Furthermore, PSO on DC and Gamcube used to have servers for each territory, yet they were connected worldwide..

But, a little bit of contradiction here, like I said in the last post, the JP players that I've interacted with weren't very unwelcoming at all.
    I said "Hello" and they responded with "Hello", but when I tried further talking to them, they said they don't understand much English.

Which is not "GTFO English!".
    Ok, but don't forget that japanese people are always friendly to guests. They smile friendly at you while thinking "what an idiot..". Their culture tells them to act like that ~_~
    However, i've only had good experience with japanese players myself (except of JPonly teams on PSO), so i'll just take back the "not welcome on the server" part of my previous post, and we all be friends, ok? xD

my other argument remains, namely that moving to the japanese servers is only worth it for people who desperately love PSU and don't have a 360 or for people who can speak at least a little bit japanese.
    Last edited by DuRaL; Feb 2, 2010 at 09:33 AM.
    my main-chars:
    PSOI&II: Ark (FOmar), Tira2nd^-^' (HUnewearl)
    PSO III: DuRaL (RAarkz)
    PSZ: ありさ~♪ツ (HUmarl), みずギー☆ (FOnewearl)
    PSU360: Ark' (Beast F), ChangPo! (Cast F)

The whole Capcom thing can be explained like this-

Since the Wii is region locked, American/European players of MH Tri, have to hack their Wii to play.
    Which is illegal, but oh so awesome.

The lag thing, okay, maybe you're right. What I heard was only a rumor to begin with, and it's only that.

SEGA wouldn't ban the US/Eu players because the PC is not region locked for any reason.
    It's perfectly legal, and legit to play on a PC.
    They make money off the people that pay monthly, no matter where you're from.
    Japanese people may be nice up front due to culture, but it's not always that they hate players that are not Japanese.
    Remember, we're talking about individual people, they make their own choices.
    In fact, it would be somewhat prejudice to say all or most Japanese people don't like the English players.
    I doubt any of us have met all or most of the Japanese players.

There are Japanese hackers too.
    Take the PSP for example.
    Most games come out in Japan earlier than the United States, and much earlier for Europe.
    Japanese PSP players make codes for PSP, and the US/Eu players pretty much just translate/convert the code for each region.
    They get the item, health, money, and whatever else hex codes from the Japanese hackers.
    (note: there are also those people that import the games in Japanese, but they aren't always hacking first).

PSO Assassin

with Monster Hunter, i didn't mean the Wii version. I was talking about the PC version of Monster Hunter (which is only out in Japan, and maybe some other parts of Asia)

and i agree that there are japanese hackers, too.
    but in my whole time on PSO, i've only run into 2 japanese hackers that FSODed (harmed) other players. And i used to play on the japanese servers a LOT (word-select was very helpful here).
    all other harmful hackers/cheaters i ran into were either Americans or Europeans, even when they had a "J" tag next to their names =/
    my main-chars:
    PSOI&II: Ark (FOmar), Tira2nd^-^' (HUnewearl)
    PSO III: DuRaL (RAarkz)
    PSZ: ありさ~♪ツ (HUmarl), みずギー☆ (FOnewearl)
    PSU360: Ark' (Beast F), ChangPo! (Cast F)

Oooh, I see Monster Hunter Frontier, right.

I have no idea why they got banned. Maybe they were hacking?
    Well, there's going to be people hacking and cheating no matter where you go, or what you play.
    So no one can hold that against one single player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Volcompat321 View Post
    The whole Capcom thing can be explained like this-

Since the Wii is region locked, American/European players of MH Tri, have to hack their Wii to play.
    Which is illegal, but oh so awesome.
    Modding your console is most definitly NOT illegal. In fact, you could make a better argument that region locking is not legal. Region locking is done by companies soley as an attempt to make more money, it has nothing to do with legalities. There is no reason for any game or movie company to region lock their products other than to try and control the market.

Modding your console might void your warranty, but there is no law anywhere that says you can't do it.

If anything, region locking is nothing more than a form of discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranberry View Post
    Modding your console is most definitly NOT illegal. In fact, you could make a better argument that region locking is not legal. Region locking is done by companies soley as an attempt to make more money, it has nothing to do with legalities. There is no reason for any game or movie company to region lock their products other than to try and control the market.

Modding your console might void your warranty, but there is no law anywhere that says you can't do it.

If anything, region locking is nothing more than a form of discrimination.
    Okay, maybe it's more like-

If you mod your Wii, you lose it's warranty, and if you do the things a modded console is modded for, (playing FREE burnt games, DVD player, and just about everything else) is illegal.

The only part of it that is not illegal is the use of homebrew, since it's user created, and is usually free.
    Just like a PSP.
    You "mod/hack" your PSP in order to play free games, and homebrew.
    While the act of modding, or hacking is not illegal, 90% of the things you use the modded/hacked console for, is.