Page 126 of 683 FirstFirst ... 2676116123124125126127128129136176226626 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,260 of 6822

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Vordex View Post
    I remember reading a news article that told about a guy whose lung got punctured but didn't collapse, only due to the tar surrounding it.

I'll have to find it later, it was definitely interesting.
    Smoking saved someone's life?

Don't let the tobacca companies learn this!

I know "healthy" smokers. In fact, most of the smokers I know are gym teachers and they seem to get along without any hacking or coughing.

People who try to facilitate change by insulting or mocking the people who they're trying to convey this message to.

I have a professor like that this term in a humanities class. I agree with pretty much everything she says on a normative or moral standpoint, but everything else she says sounds just awful to me.

Example: I come in to class wearing a hat. The previous week's weather was atrocious. She acknowledges this, because she ended class early because she had to pick up her car, which was towed because it wouldn't start. She comments on my hat. I tell her it's because last week's weather was terrible, so I figured I should dress more warmly. She then starts talking about how ridiculous it is to believe that 80% of one's body heat is radiated through the head.

Firstly, that was never even brought up. And I'm sure nobody honestly believes that. Why would you even argue against a point that doesn't even exist? Secondly, why is it a problem that I would wear a hat when it's cold? It's February in New England. There's still snow and ice on the ground. Last week, I remember it was 14 degrees Fahrenheit outside some days. Are you really trying to convince me not to wear a hat under these conditions?

I'm just scratching the surface, because there's at least 3 more things she's said in previous classes that I could argue against, but I just don't feel like doing so at this time. It's going to be a long semester, though.

Character ID: 中原小麦

Insert Something Here zfighter14's Avatar

DAMN PPL WHO BUTT IN A FUCKING DRIVE THRU AT A McDonalds! WTF!!!!!????

Ew McDonalds. All about Carls Jr for burgers and Del Taco for for tacos.
    On topic: The real Project Needlemouse info this thursday. Bascially the announcement today was an announcement for Thursday. I think I said that right.
    EDIT:Left 4 Dead 2 noobs. YOU KNOW LEFT TRIGGER CAN GET THE JOCKEY/SMOKER OFF ME AND SAVE ME 10-20 HP. And nubs who don't know how to use the Tank. I think thats about it.
    Last edited by Majarra; Feb 2, 2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: More rant

Once & forever Protranser Gunslinger-08's Avatar

One of my friends accidentally burned my hand with his cigarette today. Now I can't get the smell of smoke off my hand.

Ship 2 - Gatz

Quote Originally Posted by Alnet View Post
    People who try to facilitate change by insulting or mocking the people who they're trying to convey this message to.

I have a professor like that this term in a humanities class. I agree with pretty much everything she says on a normative or moral standpoint, but everything else she says sounds just awful to me.

Example: I come in to class wearing a hat. The previous week's weather was atrocious. She acknowledges this, because she ended class early because she had to pick up her car, which was towed because it wouldn't start. She comments on my hat. I tell her it's because last week's weather was terrible, so I figured I should dress more warmly. She then starts talking about how ridiculous it is to believe that 80% of one's body heat is radiated through the head.

Firstly, that was never even brought up. And I'm sure nobody honestly believes that. Why would you even argue against a point that doesn't even exist? Secondly, why is it a problem that I would wear a hat when it's cold? It's February in New England. There's still snow and ice on the ground. Last week, I remember it was 14 degrees Fahrenheit outside some days. Are you really trying to convince me not to wear a hat under these conditions?

I'm just scratching the surface, because there's at least 3 more things she's said in previous classes that I could argue against, but I just don't feel like doing so at this time. It's going to be a long semester, though.
    If you're wearing a coat, pants, etc, it is believable that 80% of the heat you're losing is through your head. You know, being one of two uncovered areas. (The other, possibly, being your hands)

Now, if you consider just the radiation and not retention of heat... well, then you're just being silly. (There's a logical fallacy there, but I don't remember the name. Straw man argument, maybe)
    Coming Soon!

Mosquito's, they're still at it!

I'm waking up with bites all over me.
    I even put one of those nasty "fly cather" things, where the bugs stick to the sticky..stuff.

I see a bunch on there, but they're still coming! UGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomness View Post
    If you're wearing a coat, pants, etc, it is believable that 80% of the heat you're losing is through your head. You know, being one of two uncovered areas. (The other, possibly, being your hands)

Now, if you consider just the radiation and not retention of heat... well, then you're just being silly. (There's a logical fallacy there, but I don't remember the name. Straw man argument, maybe)
    What you're saying makes sense, but what she said was that if the majority of your body is covered, wearing a hat is superfluous because you should be warm. I was wearing a jacket and a coat over it, so according to her, I would be fine without the hat. I wasn't wearing gloves, so that would have been the only significant area of hear loss.

Not that a hat really weighs anything extra. This isn't Demon's Souls. :P And even so, in that game, a hat is .5 whatever-unit-of-measurement-they-use. So it's not like I'm especially weighed down by it.

And yes, a straw man argument is when you raise up a counterpoint to a question that hasn't been asked. Instead of arguing against the point brought to you, you go off on a tangent. You might win against that argument, but it's still irrelevant. :P

Character ID: 中原小麦

Once & forever Protranser Gunslinger-08's Avatar

Damn it, facebook has forcibly changed my layout to another new layout to "celebrate" its 4th anniversary.

These changes weren't necessary, and having spent about half an hour trying to find where everything is again, these "improvements" are just about as innovative and worth-while as Apple's iPad.

Ship 2 - Gatz