Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Best hide your food when I'm around! Mystic_Nessly's Avatar

Default good online action rpg / mmorpgs for 360?

Eh, Final Fantasy 11 and 14 seem way to slow paced compared to PSU. I tried 12 and it was the first Final Fantasy game I started and never completed. I just hate that battle system. The actions seem unnatural and robotic, even.

I was just about to make a topic asking for alternatives to PSU, now that the PC/PS2 servers have closed. As PepperCat has mentioned, there is a free action rpg game by the name of Mabinogi Heroes. Hopefully that comes out in English some time soon! Same for that other Nexon game, Dragon NEst! Those games look great!

Anyone know of any good online action rpg / mmorpgs for 360?

I think PSU and FFXI are it for the 360, sadly. I'm excited for FFXIV as well, as I'm far too late to play XI. But I also see other games on the horizon that could make me think about playing them instead (Old Republic, and TERA)
    This is my NEW signature. Complete with shameless self-promotion!

Monster Hunter.

The servers for the first one are closed. If you can import the JP version of Two, Monster Hunter Dos, they should still be up. The monster Hunter series shits all over most action RPG games. In fact it's the new trend that everyones trying to copy off. The PSU for PSP titles blatantly ripoff Monster Hunter games.

Edit: Fuck Mabinogi: weeaboo mmo shit.

"Brotherhood asked for no friendship, only loyalty. They stood back to back as the galaxy burned - always brothers, never friends; traitors together unto the last."

If you're into the Diablo-style hack 'n' slash action RPGs and have a friend or two who would try out a game with you, Sacred 2 might be worth picking up. It's a pretty decent action RPG, though it's not really anything like PSU.

Borderlands (which is $33.99 + a $10 gaming credit right now, great deal) is also a fun action/rpg/loot hunting/co-op game. However, it's also a first person shooter, so it may not appeal to everyone.

One of the closest games I've found to PSU (actually, it's probably closer to PSO) would probably be White Knight Chronicles. It's only for Playstation 3, though, unfortunately. It has great character customization, and the online co-op is pretty enjoyable. The combat is a mix of traditional turn-based and real-time and the combo system adds enough to keep it from getting boring. I'm actually a bit surprised I haven't seen more talk about the game on here.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Tomeeboy View Post
    If you're into the Diablo-style hack 'n' slash action RPGs and have a friend or two who would try out a game with you, Sacred 2 might be worth picking up. It's a pretty decent action RPG, though it's not really anything like PSU.
    Not to knock your suggestion too hard, but if Diablo is the OP's style, I would recommend Torchlight. It's a PC game, but it's vastly superior to all the Diablo style games aside from, well Diablo. I tried Sacred 2 a while back and it feels like the developers took all the design ideas that Blizzard decided weren't good enough for Diablo, then made a game out of them. Frankly, the whole game is a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by amtalx View Post
    Not to knock your suggestion too hard, but if Diablo is the OP's style, I would recommend Torchlight. It's a PC game, but it's vastly superior to all the Diablo style games aside from, well Diablo. I tried Sacred 2 a while back and it feels like the developers took all the design ideas that Blizzard decided weren't good enough for Diablo, then made a game out of them. Frankly, the whole game is a mess.
    Torchlight is definitely a good one. As you mentioned, though, it is on PC. It also doesn't have any type of multiplayer. I remember reading somewhere that they were talking about bringing it to XBLA (hopefully with multiplayer). If that ever happened, I'd be picking it up in a heartbeat.

I didn't think Sacred 2 was that bad. It's really the only game of its kind on the 360 right now, so it's a nice change from all of the shooters and sports games The game is infinitely more fun if you're playing it with somebody else (which you can do via couch co-op or Xbox Live). I think the controls were fairly well done, considering how some people insist that a Diablo-style game could not work on consoles. The point and click control scheme used by older games feels really tedious and dated to me after playing so many console games. The game is also HUGE and there is a lot of replay value, with something like 500+ quests, 22 square miles of map to explore (which is bigger than Elder Scrolls Oblivion, as well as Fallout 3), max level of 200, and five difficulty modes. Again, though, having some friends to play with really makes the experience a lot nicer.

Oh, almost forgot to mention... another game I'm really looking forward to is Lord of the Rings: War in the North, which is being made by Snowblind Studios, the developer behind Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, and Champions: Return to Arms. I'm just hoping they don't water the game down to the point where it's just another generic hack 'n' slash LOTR game that's looking to cash in on the franchise.
    Last edited by Tomeeboy; May 4, 2010 at 03:32 PM.

holy crap white knight chronicles sounds awesome!!!!! i should definently get that games sometime (who knows wen that'll happen)

Deals on White Knight Chronicles are pretty scarce at the moment. Amazon has it for $55.99, and that's about as good as you'll find it new at the moment.

By far, the best deal you'll find on it right now is at Gamefly, for $24.99 used (or less if you're an existing member). The game is "Available Now" for renting, with the option to keep, and they have also added it to their store. From the time I've played it, I think it's worth every penny of $25, easily.

If anyone picks it up, you can look up my Geonet homepage in-game at Tomeeboy.World. My town is no more than a big empty field, though Every player gets a "homepage" which let's other players access their Georama town, which is essentially your own personal lobby that you can build from scratch. From there, you can talk to a quest officer and launch quest rooms for up to four people. Sound familiar?

"sound familiar" yah it does and its the GREAT kinda familia, i would proly buy this for $24.99 if i dodnt just buy mh3 (white knight looks way better than mh3 is but i do like mh3 still)

You really can't compare MH3 and WKC. They both play considerably different. WKC isn't for everyone, it takes a while to get into it. However, once you get the feel of the game, it can be enjoyable.
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.