Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MT7218 View Post
    Basically, UMD = Weapon Lag, ala PS2/XBox 360 PSU, DD = No weapon lag, like PC PSU on a decent computer.
    Less weapon lag, not no weapon lag.

After a weapon loads in, it is stored in the memory for a while, meaning that only the first load for each weapon is slow.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

does anyone know if the download will be available on release day?

No one is sure, actually. We assume it WILL BE, but there is a chance it won't.

What is sad is if Sony took full advantage of the hardware the UMD + Install would be faster than a straight download. Keep in mind the following numbers are estimated, but should be fairly close to the mark.

To my understanding:

UMD transfer speeds were around 3.2mb/s
    The transfer on a fast memory stick is around 12.7mb/s

If Sony allowed the developers to take advantage of both data streams you could fetch seperate data from the UMD and memory stick at the same time for a much smoother transfer. The technology exists, they would just have to add a controller to the mainboard that would manage all I/O between the chipset and removable media.

If you think about it, the PSP is dated in terms of technology. The first one came out 5? years ago and we are due for an upgrade by Sony's lifecycle (they support products for 10 years, and release new versions every 5 years. They are overdue for the PSP).

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrai View Post
    What is sad is if Sony took full advantage of the hardware the UMD + Install would be faster than a straight download. Keep in mind the following numbers are estimated, but should be fairly close to the mark.

To my understanding:

UMD transfer speeds were around 3.2mb/s
    The transfer on a fast memory stick is around 12.7mb/s

If Sony allowed the developers to take advantage of both data streams you could fetch seperate data from the UMD and memory stick at the same time for a much smoother transfer. The technology exists, they would just have to add a controller to the mainboard that would manage all I/O between the chipset and removable media.

If you think about it, the PSP is dated in terms of technology. The first one came out 5? years ago and we are due for an upgrade by Sony's lifecycle (they support products for 10 years, and release new versions every 5 years. They are overdue for the PSP).
    That's impossible...

This is a very silly post.
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

N.R.A. National Ranger Association Roontek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Izuna View Post
    That's impossible...

This is a very silly post.
    Not "impossible" but rather highly improbable.
    ♠PS:P2♠
    •Roontek | Cast M | lvl 15 | RA [5]

•Jannali | Newman F | lvl 80 | FO [12]

•Signus X1| Cast F | lvl 110 | HU [21]

Quote Originally Posted by Roontek View Post
    Not "impossible" but rather highly improbable.
    It wouldn't ever work like that, the way the RAM loads the memory is one block at a time, you can't load two things at once.
    You just can't put stress on a computer and have it do two things at once, trying will make it take turns, and end up making it slower.
    Last edited by Izuna; Aug 28, 2010 at 03:25 PM.

With all due respect to the posters above, but the technology I mention has been in existence for some time. SCSI controllers were managing data in that fashion 25 years ago. Current SATA bus can process over 128 simultaneous streams.

Seriously, if computers could only do one thing at a time, we would be back in the Tandy days.

I work in computer forensics, IT security, intrusion, and prevention technologies. Knowing these technologies is what I do.

N.R.A. National Ranger Association Roontek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Izuna View Post
    It wouldn't ever work like that, the way the RAM loads the memory is one block at a time, you can't load two things at once.
    You just can't put stress on a computer and have it do two things at once, trying will make it take turns, and end up making it slower.
    Your common day android phone does this all the time... I know PSP technology is about 5+ years old but still...
    ♠PS:P2♠
    •Roontek | Cast M | lvl 15 | RA [5]

•Jannali | Newman F | lvl 80 | FO [12]

•Signus X1| Cast F | lvl 110 | HU [21]

Having imported the game and did the UMD install I want to say it's no where near as effective as having the whole digital game. The install mode function would turn off on its own at times and there would be quite a bit of weapon lag. You also cannot turn it back on mid mission if it were to have an error and shut off. You would have to deal with lag until you're back in the lobby. For efficiency's sake the digital download would be my preferred this time.

Paragon of Fortefighter Excellence!
    Leader of the Guardians Mobile Defense Force Guild-PC/PS2
    PS2/PC PSU:Krupp 170 FF/PT/FIG Zanki 137 FG/GM-Since Day 1!
    PSP2 Krupp 126 Hunter 30 PS3 Ad-hoc party and Internet Multimode (Mail me if you wanna play!)
    Waiting anxiously for PSO2..