View Poll Results: Favorite story character?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Emilia

12 16.22%
  • Kraz

16 21.62%
  • Chelsea

16 21.62%
  • Yut

11 14.86%
  • Ursula

4 5.41%
  • Mika

3 4.05%
  • Lumia [2.0 ;D]

4 5.41%
  • Tonnio

0 0%
  • Liina

0 0%
  • Other

8 10.81%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Master of the seven seas balmung92's Avatar

god its either Chelsea or lumia but i cant decide, gonna go with chelsea

God, this story was cheesy/epic. Still gonna have to go with Kraz after beating it :P
    #1 International MAG+ TA Champion in PSU. Co-Founder of Royalz

Quote Originally Posted by Zain_Winters View Post
    i think someones being a debbie-downer, although i cant completely disagree, after playing all of the universe series (psu, aoi, psp1,psp2) i kinda feel like i have a little connection or bond with all the characters over the games.

i wont disagree that the story isn't horribly told, and i wasn't a big fan of psu or Ethan for that matter, but i oddly enjoy the story quite a bit, and the small (sometimes pointless) cameos of some of the other characters seem to make the actual universe seem somewhat bigger. the story drug me in quite a bit and although i wasn't gungho 100% emotionally attached.

i enjoyed it quite a bit, but long story short id have to say Emilia for me, i just loved how her character development went through and after hanging around Vivienne so much........well....i wanted to chock the shit outta Vivienne...And in the over all stories defense, it's from a japan company..the place that made anime..if you expect a jrpg to not be anime-ish then you may not have the right mindset for anything that comes from japan..sorta...you know what i mean when i say that, not EVERYTHING is like that but you get it.
    I'm no anime hater, I don't mind *good anime.

Just as their is really no excuse for SEGA to take 3 games to get the Phantasy Star Universe model right, there is absolutely no excuse for it to require 3 other games for PSP2's story to be somewhat good.

PSPo2 is great for its infrastructure mode, and for being the only great Dungeon crawling (sort of) hack and slash RPG that will probably exist on the PSP. We'll see what Monster Hunter does to the market with its epic epeen, but PSPo2 surely has a hand in the fight.

I thought the way that PSO presented its story was way more intuitive and shimmery. Not really telling you the story, but having important characters in the PSO "lore" leave bread crumbs all over the planet that you pick up as you go, so you can read about what exactly has traversed. It left a good amount to your mind to put the pieces together by the time you were reading those little lamps in Ruins, but when you killed Falz above normal difficulty and saw the ending it was just...refreshing. This goes doubly for Episode 2.

On what you might consider the negative side, if you didn't bother to read any of those little things, or pay attention to your surroundings and make conclusions, there was pretty much a non-existent story. I kind of appreciate that, not forcing you to be a part of some JRPG "Bring our hearts together"/Friendship and love yucky smuck crap that PSU has tried so desperately to deliver but just fails because that shit got old after heart of the cards, and Pikachu not accepting his evolutionary fate to become raichu and still destroying every other living Pokemon in every fight Ash uses him, regardless of type.

Bad guys need to be bad because they are just plain f'n sick fuck evil. I can get involved in a deep story about a menace who wants to simply take over a town, as opposed to an entire galaxy, if it's told right. Taking over the galaxy is an old hat, and I'm honestly tired of saving it. Let's kill a menace because of the threat it poses to your family, or one of your dearest friends families. Maybe he plans to destroy your home colony somewhere in space. Just give us something tangible and worthy to follow. Making it about the galaxy, doesn't make it epic.

If our character is not going to be the main, prevalent character of the story being told, then the characters we are forced to team up with and watch in all the cut scenes need to be like-able. You can't make characters likeable if all you ever see of them are stop motion'd poses on the screen with text on the bottom. The only real cut scenes in the game involve Emilia crying, or bitching.
    Last edited by Zipzo; Sep 21, 2010 at 05:20 AM.

The story telling on Sega's part took a big hit somewhere between PS4 and PSO and it still hasn't recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post

Just as their is really no excuse for SEGA to take 3 games to get the Phantasy Star Universe model right, there is absolutely no excuse for it to require 3 other games for PSP2's story to be somewhat good.

PSPo2 is great for its infrastructure mode, and for being the only great Dungeon crawling (sort of) hack and slash RPG that will probably exist on the PSP. We'll see what Monster Hunter does to the market with its epic epeen, but PSPo2 surely has a hand in the fight.

I thought the way that PSO presented its story was way more intuitive and shimmery. Not really telling you the story, but having important characters in the PSO "lore" leave bread crumbs all over the planet that you pick up as you go, so you can read about what exactly has traversed. It left a good amount to your mind to put the pieces together by the time you were reading those little lamps in Ruins, but when you killed Falz above normal difficulty and saw the ending it was just...refreshing. This goes doubly for Episode 2.

On what you might consider the negative side, if you didn't bother to read any of those little things, or pay attention to your surroundings and make conclusions, there was pretty much a non-existent story. I kind of appreciate that, not forcing you to be a part of some JRPG "Bring our hearts together"/Friendship and love yucky smuck crap that PSU has tried so desperately to deliver but just fails because that shit got old after heart of the cards, and Pikachu not accepting his evolutionary fate to become raichu and still destroying every other living Pokemon in every fight Ash uses him, regardless of type.

Bad guys need to be bad because they are just plain f'n sick fuck evil. I can get involved in a deep story about a menace who wants to simply take over a town, as opposed to an entire galaxy, if it's told right. Taking over the galaxy is an old hat, and I'm honestly tired of saving it. Let's kill a menace because of the threat it poses to your family, or one of your dearest friends families. Maybe he plans to destroy your home colony somewhere in space. Just give us something tangible and worthy to follow. Making it about the galaxy, doesn't make it epic.

If our character is not going to be the main, prevalent character of the story being told, then the characters we are forced to team up with and watch in all the cut scenes need to be like-able. You can't make characters likeable if all you ever see of them are stop motion'd poses on the screen with text on the bottom. The only real cut scenes in the game involve Emilia crying, or bitching.
    i wish i had more to combat what you say but i cant say i disagree with any of it. although at first i had my issues with the way PSO handled it's story. most likely because at the time and to my knowledge a story has never been presented or handled the way PSO has done. It not being blatantly obvious and shoved in your face can make it feel very unappealing and uninvolving, yet that is just a risk because once i experienced the story (after i realized there was a story to be had, sadly didn't realize it to well until hard mode and maybe even very hard mode) it was defiantly well told, and gave me the urge to go through more of it, side stories especially. Bernie, Kireek, the few underground organizations. it was done really well.

Also defiantly agree on it shouldn't take 3 games to make 1 game appealing, if you come into PSP2 not knowing anything or new i should say. i can see this game being very very underwhelming, leaving you to feel dragged along for the ride with people you most likely do not know, care about, or like. i didn't mind Emilia's bitching\whining to much, although at the start she was pretty over the top with it and played the bratty little orphan to well. although Kraz wasn't exactly father\guardian of the year.....and at least the word heart was only mentioned maybe 2-3 times in the whole game :P.

apparently i had nothing to combat with but i did have more to say.

I miss most of the PSU cast, but the Little Wing cast got better.

Emilia - She grew and I applaud her for that. But she still cries too damn much. But with all of her baggage, I understand. But the hugging scenes made me feel uncomfortable.

Kraz - Really didn't pay him no mind until I learned about his past. He actually had a great backstory and I applaud him for that. I ended up liking him and his backstory with Ursula.

Ursula - I like how she was a woman in charge. In contrast to Emilia who had no control and Chelsea who now lives to serve. Ursula reminds me of what a good CEO should be like, so I liked her for that. And she wasn't a stereotypical Newman either? Another plus. Then I learned she had relations with Kraz. Good curveball.

Chelsea - Her backstory added some depth to her that she needed. Never hated her, but she never rose to high standards until I did the Third Side Story and she put Curtz in his place. Epic scene there.

Yut - My favorite because I liked him from start to finish. He didn't make me feel uncomfortable, we came in knowing most of his backstory and as a person he never had anything to hide. His most annoying part was in the VR simulator and even then, it was tolerable. I want to see more Kasch tribe members. Plus he's half Newman, half Beast.

Lumia - OMG. Having played Episode 3, I am surprised she became so... well, y'know. I figured she'd be the level-headed Guardian. Not over-outgoing like Ethan, not extra conservative like Karen was and not annoying or abrasive like Laia. Nice to see that the PSU online PC failed in that remark. I was getting some respect for her after Emilia tore her a new one, but then I got the good ending and it seems that nothing would change. Go figure.

Tonnio & Liina - I was hoping that they'd get more screen time, but they got pushed to the side. But in the first side story at least they explain why. So I can excuse that. Tonnio used to be more badass though. -_-
    Real Heroes do not fight wars. They are born to prevent them.

Sorry for the horrible quality!
    Kenneth Silver - Male - Human - Former Guardian... for now.

Chelsea is the best IMO. The rest are mehhhhh and kinda gross. Don't get me started on Ethan garbage I can't stand that barf face cause of many things but I think he smells like barf.
    Life's way more fun to laugh with the sinners then it is to cry with the saints.

My phantasy Star Universe, (pc/ps2 servers RIP lol)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJedXpA4d8

Quote Originally Posted by Drayk View Post

That made me laugh hard lmao,but yeah PSU story was kinda cheesy,never liked Ethan,and I never played any of the portable games,so I couldnt even tell you,and I never even finished Ambition of Illuminanist,because I got bored of it and the story was meh.(The levels where empty and long,I couldnt do it anymore.)

Kraz, rockin the beard and twin handguns.

I r i s - 13X -VaDewearl (3X)

I like Mika, she's pretty cool for someone who hasn't been around for a millenia or two.
    I just wanna break this crown, but it's hard when I'm so rundown. Your so sick oh narcissistic cannibal... got to bring myself back from the dead!