Thumbs up Return to Madness...

Recently, I found the latest 3rd trailer for...

Alice: Madness Returns

... the sequel to much acclaimed "American McGee's Alice" (2000, PC & Mac).

In case you missed first two trailers from last year, here they are:

(Warning: May not be appropriate for... faint of heart)

The game is scheduled for release on PS3, Xbox, and PC. Date not specified, but EBGames lists "June 2011."

Looks awfully sweet. I just loooove dark, mind warping, and grim games like this.

Speaking of which, they should polish the first game and release on PSN & Live. I actually never got to playing the first one. I wanted to, but back then I couldn't afford every single game I wanted, and had to make some choices... Apparently, I still regret the choice I made regarding Alice...
    To be or not to be.

Hmm, a dark looking Alice game.

Looks promising.
    [PSO2] Darkante: Cast HU-44/RA-43/FI-42/GU-30
    Astral Storm: Newman F HU-35
    [PSP2:I]
    RB3 - Dark Knight "Ante" : Cast M Lv 200/ JLv Hu50/Ra50/F30/Va46
    RB3 - Crimson Sky: Beast F Lv 174/ JLv Hu34/Ra18/Fo1/Va50
    RB0 - Zone Dynamite: Beast M Lv 76/ JLv Hu0/Ra7/Fo0/Va0

I wonder what Lewis Carrol would think of this?

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Well, in some ways, he would have thought better of the first American McGee's Alice than the Disney Adaptation. Well, at least when it comes to attention to detail from elements of the original stories.

I posted something like this on a group forum, on this site. Here's hoping the same attention to detail is done for this sequel. While the commercials for this (like the first one) generally show just the spooky or violent nature of the game, at least the first one was loaded with artistic style and narrative not shown in the commercials.

Yes I'm interested in this game as well ( see my sig ). I killed my older post, so no double post. I'm bumping this topic because Alice 2 has gotten a full reveal this week. It also has a release date, June 14th. There's plenty to discuss now.

Looks pretty sweet, I never got to play the first one since I was console only back then. Hopefully EA re-releases it in some form.
    Last edited by Sexy_Raine; Mar 9, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
    My wanted games of 2013:
    Ducktales(PS3), Ys Celceta(Vita), Beyond: Two Souls(PS3), Legend of Heroes:Sen no Kiseki (PS3, JP version)

I played the first one over and over again, it was that good. Well, especially for its time, and the small fact that I'm a huge huge Alice and Wonderland fan. Enough that I keep the ability to read them with me just to refresh my mind in terms of my inevitable references to the books. It's not just logic, the books do make a play at mentalities as well. It's just that the American McGee ones focus even more strongly on mental states.

Oddly enough, it was the events in 'Through the Looking Glass' that sets into motion what makes the plot plausible in the first game, at least. That first vid, in the gameplay demo, was absolutely awesome. Right away, a nice showing of how the engine behind the Alice games have progressed. It also seems to tell a story, right away, in the visuals. Alice's animations give away her attitude and already makes me wonder if the status Alice obtained in 'Through the Looking Glass' will be addressed even further in this one.

It's a part of the two-part original story, in which the most important aspects of it have not been addressed by Disney, nor were they concerned with it. They mixed and matched to their delight and picked apart what they wanted in order to make it a simpler and more Disney-like adventure. McGee's Alice picked up on it, though, so you can definitely feel my excitement for this. The first one wasn't simply all about combat and platforming, it also made you think about your own sanity and what defines it as you sympathize with Alice and some of the more troubled folk she comes across.

Why Alice's world turned dark was mentioned at the beginning of the first game, but to truly understand the full explanation of it comes from knowledge of your travels with Alice between Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. A case where you get to see Wonderland as a different place in the second book, and a progression of Alice in terms of Wonderland's relation to her own mind.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Mar 10, 2011 at 01:06 PM.