Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Anyone else run their own businesses?

I do. My brother and I run a catfish farm where we hand-raise the catfish from egg to adulthood. From there we use them for any number of things such as selling them as pets or to restaurants, processing them for their meat, skin, and bones (the inside of certain varieties of catfish look like Jesus on the cross), as well as catfish milk.

It's hard work, but it's very fulfilling to work for yourself and set your own hours. I was just wondering if there are any other self-made men and women here on PSOW who want to share their family business stories and encouragement.

I wish I did. Stuck trying to beg for jobs at fast-food joints. I would do anything for my own business. But, you have to have a talent or something for that. Also, monetary assets are needed, too.
    Last edited by BIG OLAF; Sep 29, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

Your fancy description for the catfishes insides kind of reminded me of toriko for some reason.

I will also say that catfish taste very much good, yes?

It's cool that you run such an interesting business there, sounds fun even.

I don't really have my own business, but I do want to get to the point where I can sell my art, or at least make my art popular, SO THAT EVERYONE WILL RUE THE DAY THAT THEY SAY "WTF IS NOISEHERO" But no that's it.

I'm lucky though, my dreams don't cost a dime.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

I always wanted to start my own business. Only problem was, I didn't know what I was going to sell or offer. Just sticking with a goal to make video games and maybe computer repair to fall back on.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_bob View Post
    I do. My brother and I run a catfish farm where we hand-raise the catfish from egg to adulthood. From there we use them for any number of things such as selling them as pets or to restaurants, processing them for their meat, skin, and bones (the inside of certain varieties of catfish look like Jesus on the cross), as well as catfish milk.

It's hard work, but it's very fulfilling to work for yourself and set your own hours. I was just wondering if there are any other self-made men and women here on PSOW who want to share their family business stories and encouragement.
    Uncle Bob's Catfish.

I've thought about it a few times, but I'm unsure as to what I'd even run. A computer store? Hah, if I had the knowhow sure.

My hobbies are pretty much like a second job these days, but no, I haven't really made an attempt to earn money on them yet.

I do a bit of freelance graphic design for friends and friends of friends, but it's just for small money. I don't plan to do it once I'm done with college. I actually like to work for other people rather than for myself. I need that extra push.
    Nothing is sacred. Not that it ever was.

I run I little record label out of a shoebox, just a minuscule LLC outfit I put together around 12 years ago so I could self-publish.

Read a few books about launching labels, indy distribution, legal guides. Not hard at all.

Choose a goal. Chart your course. Adjust as circumstances arise. When you reach a goal, raise the bar.
    Tax the fucking churches.

Practically out of necessity, due to the employment situation in my area. But hey, at least it's fun.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

No, but I sometimes want to. I have the same problem that other people have mentioned; what to offer/sell. Back in 2008 some family and I had an appointment with the California Small Business Development Center for some help. We were thinking about doing something with food or clothing but our personal experience in those areas were limited. The adviser didn't really help us because of our lack of experience.