Default Harmful Trading Glitch (probably rediscovered)

Assuming I'm not breaking any rules because I'm posting about a glitch, I want to share what just happened to me which resulted in the loss of a Lv4 Luzparias that a friend gave me.

So me and Tamlin (not censored because everyone probably knows anyway) had a trade scheduled about 20 minutes ago. To make a long story short, he uses an unreliable hotspot which resulted in him disconnecting during our trade. I had placed my items, and I was the first one to confirm. While I was waiting for him to confirm, I was greeted with the message that he has left the trade room. When you leave the room, the trade just gets cancelled, however, this is not supposed to happen, for as you confirm, your items are temporarily in nobody's inventory (to prevent duping, most likely), and the items were therefore not returned to me. If the trade had been cancelled, it would have returned the items to me and saved the game. So as you may have guessed, my items disappeared anyway, because as far as I know, the game saves after the items are put up for trade. Once again, they disappeared because in the state of confirmation, THE ITEMS BELONG TO NO ONE.

I am not trying to ruin Tamlin's reputation. By the same token (sort of), I have no proof that the items vanished. Tamlin has an amazing shop, and is a very well-respected player.

After thinking about it for a while, the only possible precautions you should take are:

-Make sure you and your trading partner have reliable and trustworthy wifi connections, if not..
    -If one side does not have a reliable Wifi connection, make sure the guy on the unreliable side confirms FIRST. Once s/he has confirmed a d you have double-checked the items, DO NOT HESITATE TO CONFIRM. The guy on the unreliable side is people too, and I think s/he would be very upset to lose his items.
    -Both unreliable? Don't trade.

tl;dr - Do not disconnect during trades. Be extra careful when trading with someone that has a less-than-average Wifi connection.

Mystelle - Level 100 FOmarl
    ~Art by Daggart~

I hate shotty Wi-Fi XD
    Thank you for the kind words good Docta
    As a token of good faith, I gave the good Docta the items I had promised him for the trade

and honestly what happened was... my DS got knocked off the table I was at and hit the floor... which caused the Communications Error >.<

The Lesson: Be careful with your system!
    Last edited by Tamlin; Dec 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
    "If it rusts, it can never be trusted
    If its owner fails to control it, it will cut him
    Yes, pride is
    Like a blade."
    -Tite Kubo

Yup, that happened once in a trade I did with Chaosmaster. It's just as you said; once you hit "Confirm", the items are taken out of your inventory, and until the trade is completed they're sort of "in-between" inventories. That's why I usually wait for the other trader to confirm first, then I'll confirm as quickly as possible.
    F.C. #1 - 0346-1712-9688
    F.C. #2 - 3953-9438-3932

Time Zone - U.S. Central

Trade List - http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175354

Aw man, that's really lame. D:
    I'm pretty sure there's a better way to code a trade system that doesn't allow for item loss like that, but...whatever. That really sucks. Thanks for the heads-up, Shanks.
    PSZ Friend Codes
    US: 4855 6582 7740
    JP: 4428 5420 9674

Check out my trade thread!

Wow bumer thanks for the heads up.
    If there is darkness in this world it lurks in the hearts of men

Nobody wins with this glitch. I'll be sure to be in sync more with confirming trades in the future then.

Thankfully, it's not a common glitch, it just requires REALLY bad luck for the disconnect to happen in those few seconds between the 1st and 2nd times the game is saved while doing the trade.
    F.C. #1 - 0346-1712-9688
    F.C. #2 - 3953-9438-3932

Time Zone - U.S. Central

Trade List - http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175354

yesterday that almost happened to me durinng a trade with Tamlin, it was my connections fault as it was acting up yesterday. luckily niether of us lost our items.
    I'm down for PSZ runs any time, send me a message if you wanna play .
    im available weekdays after 3:00pm eastern and weekend pretty much whenever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse5632 View Post
    Aw man, that's really lame. D:
    I'm pretty sure there's a better way to code a trade system that doesn't allow for item loss like that, but...whatever. That really sucks. Thanks for the heads-up, Shanks.
    I cannot believe you can't drop items on this PS, that is one of the easiest ways to make sure that wouldn't happen. (Disconnect in the middle of a trade, etc...)

Just be cautious with anything you do.
    I've been on a podcast with my friends! We're trying to get bigger! Please!! Check us out! Its awesome, and I will be talkin more about PSO and PS0 and PSU All the time! Nothin but nerdy stuff! http://nerdsandbeer.podbean.com We also have a facebook fan page! When we get to 100 likes we will be doing a contest, with a giveaway! Nerds and Beer Fanpage!