Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Sega racist?

I swear if there is a option to turn the character into mouse size, they will do it. Although its still shaped such as a cat. When i walk into a japanese server, and im average sized then i got in mind "either im a dinosaur or the others are mices in the shape of a cat".

Main topic: Yes, the treatment is unfair and inequal. However, we should not mix SoA with SoJ. SoJ(Sonic Team) only seems to have interests into serving theyr local community. Outside world they could care less and the matter still have to be investigated but its not racism, its however some kind of discrimination against everything which is "outside", thats certain. However, SoA is not able to handle it but i wont tell its reasons because the problem is that i could make some people mad and i want to keep nonpartisan condition on that matter. At facebook, when someone is telling something else to SoJ(Sonic Team) in english language, they probably wont even take a look at it. Although recently someone tried to translate some stuff to english (and you can clearly see that the english skill is worse than what i have to offer) but at least it seems a sign of improvement. Still, they just are in some way isolated and located on a isle. However, that doesnt count for any JP developer. Many of them such as Square-Enix are already heading toward "foreign markets" and they nowdays should have more income from outside JP than inside JP (although i didnt check statistics, so its a guess). So what im pointing at is the SoJ(Sonic Team). Take into account, not even SoJ as a whole is acting same such as Sonic Team, because SoJ is a pretty huge company and is developing many games, and many of those with big success outside JP. So its clearly mainly related to a fraction of SoJ not willing or able to expand theyr reach properly. But im not even sure if the whole stuff is bad intention, its probably just a huge lack of execution.

To investigate the matter is not easy because i cant ask random japanese people. They all got different opinions such as any other people, they do not commonly share the same mind because they are humans. However, the one who could truly give a answer is not handing out a answer at all, thats the fun stuff. In english language it means "could care less". I do think, most important is to respect each others and dont get crazy over it. The best stuff "outsiders" are able to do is to behave in a friendly manner and eventually they will start to show more and more concern for non JP matters. Finally its theyr own interest because there is lot of money outside JP.

There is surely a sign of hope, when i read those stuff it doesnt sound like any kind of "anti outsider", it simply seems like there is some lack of executions and the main staff apparently doesnt understand a single word of "true english" which is kinda fun. Now SoA would have to make the executions but theyr are almost out of power, so we have another lack of execution.
    Last edited by Xenobia; May 29, 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Honestly, do we really need threads like this?

Yes, racism (or... "foreignism", whatever you wanna call it) is everywhere, but I wouldn't outright accuse a company of such without proper evidence. If Phantasy Star was as popular as Sonic, I'm pretty sure we would get a little more respect.
    Last edited by Neo Flint; May 29, 2012 at 04:10 PM.

I vote for renaming it into discrimination or simply "putting outsider at disadvantage". Racism is a harsh and simply wrong word (because there is no proof that it is true, we have to use a word which is proven to be true) and its making people upset which is reasonable. Have to find a more appropriate word for it. Be aware: Certain words will not do anything good because it does produce a wrong mental shape. When someone expect another entity to improve theyr view, the own view have to be improved at first.
    Last edited by Xenobia; May 29, 2012 at 04:24 PM.

does the op even know what racism actually entails?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenobia View Post
    I vote for renaming it into discrimination or simply "putting outsider at disadvantage". Racism is a harsh and simply wrong word (because there is no proof that it is true, we have to use a word which is proven to be true) and its making people upset which is reasonable. Have to find a more appropriate word for it. Be aware: Certain words will not do anything good because it does produce a wrong mental shape. When someone expect another entity to improve theyr view, the own view have to be improved at first.
    while racist is not the correct word 100%, it is more or less the right word colloquially. A better word might be prejudice, or bigoted, in action, but i would bet that that is just what it looks like on our end and it is really just ethnocentricity that is taken to a level that is making them blind, as it has for well over a decade now.

Also As someone who took part in Square-Enix's Alpha test of FFXIV I have to say that they were just as bad in terms of listening to the concerns of English testers (if not all testers) which is really weird because why have an English Alpha test if your just going to ignore all the input you get from it, but then Square seems to ave been pretty stupid in general with that game.
    Last edited by RocSage; May 29, 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Why are people still posting in this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by foreignreign View Post
    Why are people still posting in this topic.
    Lol I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by RocSage View Post
    while racist is not the correct word 100%, it is more or less the right word colloquially. A better word might be prejudice, or bigoted, in action, but i would bet that that is just what it looks like on our end and it is really just ethnocentricity that is taken to a level that is making them blind, as it has for well over a decade now.

Also As someone who took part in Square-Enix's Alpha test of FFXIV I have to say that they were just as bad in terms of listening to the concerns of English testers (if not all testers) which is really weird because why have an English Alpha test if your just going to ignore all the input you get from it, but then Square seems to ave been pretty stupid in general with that game.

This is just blatantly wrong, and a stop needs to be put to it. SoA (mis)manages all of Sega's stateside MMOs.

SoJ doesn't do much of anything for the US audience besides develop content that SoA decides whether or not to patch in.

That being said, it's hard to believe that SoA would discriminate against the audience they exist to serve.

I love SEGA, have loved them since my childhood when I was the *one* kid with a Master System instead of an NES (thanks, mom)

SoA, however, is pretty much awful at everything. They're awful at marketing, their games made in-house are awful and their general management is awful.

SoJ produces gold, and is easily on par with Nintendo in terms of franchise and character development, but SoA is a serious hindrance to all their efforts.

SoJ loves its customers, and tries really hard to please us, but one weak link in a chain can destroy everything.

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ryo View Post
    This is just blatantly wrong, and a stop needs to be put to it. SoA (mis)manages all of Sega's stateside MMOs.

SoJ doesn't do much of anything for the US audience besides develop content that SoA decides whether or not to patch in.

That being said, it's hard to believe that SoA would discriminate against the audience they exist to serve.

I love SEGA, have loved them since my childhood when I was the *one* kid with a Master System instead of an NES (thanks, mom)

SoA, however, is pretty much awful at everything. They're awful at marketing, their games made in-house are awful and their general management is awful.

SoJ produces gold, and is easily on par with Nintendo in terms of franchise and character development, but SoA is a serious hindrance to all their efforts.

SoJ loves its customers, and tries really hard to please us, but one weak link in a chain can destroy everything.
    If there was a like button I'd totaly spam the smurf out of it also great job on defending Sega from the angry mobs I also grew up as a sega kid too

Hit the beat, you beat! Vintasticvin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Icespike View Post
    Holy chit, how do threads like this exist?
    Threads like this exist cause people are very disgruntled and angry also instead of focusing their energies on a campaign to let SoJ know how they feel all they do is complain or just go on their servers =/ But Ima hush cause I don't wana further enrage the community further than I already have.
    Last edited by Vintasticvin; May 29, 2012 at 06:00 PM.