Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

On that part about accepting free stuff, if they're weren't dupers around they wouldn't be able to dupe 100 Tsumikairi J-Sword's then pass them out like candy. It's not the fact of speeding up finding process. Notice how now that duping started everyone from Level 1 to 200 is running around with the best rares in the game. And also what about duping Mats and God Items, making people all powerful, or duped Lv. 200 Mags, no work involved there...

Some of you people take this game WAY too seriously I see duping as putting in a cheat code on any other game I think duping would me the game more fun for me(if I knew how to XD) instead of rare-hunting(which really gets frusturating) I could focus on leveling up

Usualy that would be ok, but unfortunately PSO is an online game, so obviously there are going to be people who would rather the game be played correctly.

HunterStrife_2000

On 2003-06-27 19:46, ZodiacNKnight wrote:
    SEGA could make a mandatory download for online players to update the game so to stop USD memory cards users and to remove the NPC's which could end duping.

would this work?
    I don't see how this could work. The USB memory card is a hardware peripheral and not an actual device attributed to the games software like FFO's hard drive. If a patch had to be downloaded to everyones machine they would have to do it on an everytime online access basis to store the information into memory. Perhaps they could push it to the memory card, but then it might have to create a new file on the card, check the contents of the card each online session, and perform saves to that new file as well (increasing FSOD probability or even corruption). To get rid of the NPC they would have to have the server remove it from the code within your machine... as the room information is loaded from your disk, only quests are loaded from the servers (so to get rid of the NPC's they'd have to change the room creation from disk to server only, which could mean longer access times for modem users).

Of course this is all speculation, but from playing the game this is how it looks to be done.

-Oedi

HunterStrife_2000

Oh, I forgot to mention that my previous statement would only work if you played online. The only fix for offline would be a new game disk period.

Mass distribution of game disks throughout the US for a free version update... you see Sega USA doing this for PSO US... I don't think so.

-Oedi

Now I haven't read the replies but I read the original.

I've heard several arguements that duping isn't bad. Honestly, I don't agree with any of them.

#1 It messes up the economy. A similar case (even if more drastic) is counterfit money. You can make counterfit money, because you don't want to spend the time to earn it, and give it away or use it, but it's still wrong. Why? It messes up the economy. It's ILLEGAL.

#2 I've heard the arguement that "duping is there in the game, so it's not cheating!" Well... when you play Monopoly the bank is there, yes? But that doesn't mean you can steal money from the bank and say it's okay because it was already there.

...ya know? But that is just my two cents. I'm sure that the antidupers and the dupers are pretty stuck in their sides and no one will sway.

who knew this game would be so addicting?

I don't think you could patch for the usb because I know many people who simply store items on the usb, then transfer the items to characters on real memory cards... I don't know how the system would be able to detect that. Also, who cares if people dupe offline? If they never come online, then they have to find what they are going to dupe; therefore they've earned the item. Who cares how many copies they make of it? I think duping is only a problem for people online (other than people duping offline then bringing it online to distribute)

Fate binds us, destroys us.

I think the Logical Dude had best step in.

Duping isnt bad because you are giving items to help people and getting nothing in return: Sure, but then you have level 1 people walking around with psycho wands casting level 30 magic. And what if you are just multiplying the problem.

Duping saves me time: Listen to me. No one likes items from known dupers, because they know there are millions of items exactly the same wandering around there. And guess what? You cant do nothin if you have no items.

The BKB/Mag/God unit situation: Just set a level standard instead of a ATP standard for these weapons! Make it so you have to be level 40!

Section IDS: THese were made to increase SOCIAL activities during PSO, not influence hundreds of people to mass produce ONE item and give it out to everyone else.

The duper to duper problem: Most likely all the duped items were transfered from the Japanese ships. Possibly lock down all Japanese items in american servers.

Whiny legits: They need a life. The reason legits (sorta like me) get upset about dupes is because it ruins the Legits fun of finding rare items (and the victory dance, lol!)

Downloads: They can be bypassed typically. All you have to do is delete the file, and hang out offline until sega team gets rid of the mandatory patch.

There. That is my feeling on this topic.

lol, CandyElly i luv your real life comparisions, thats a funny way to look at it. however there are a few problems with this, if someone makes counterfit money they can actually gain things they can't 'find on the floor' i.e. shops. It also breaks the money cycle in that for every dollar/pound/yen destroyed, another is made and sometimes some are added into circulation, with pso, items and money are endless, because they are things generated out of nothing by the computer.

your second argument is pretty good, i would never say that duping is in the game so why not use it because duping exploits a glitch, its not ment to happen (if there was a card in monopoly that could be twisted and bended to imply 'steal all the money from the bank' then you could compare them.)

good thinking mind, i agree with you about the swaying, im stuck right in the middle, i can see why ppl dupe, and why people don't like duping, but what i cant see is why people think it will completely ruin their entire (pso) life if someone else dupes an item. i mean, would you get angry if some guy/girl gave a ultra rare to his/her lower lv new char? how can you tell the difference? its still a level 10 with a Dark Flow (or what ever).

Eternal PSO Addict

Duping is what caused Sonic Team to add in that lovely second save (upon game entry) that causes corruption if you get FSOD on it. Need I say more?