Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am a software engineer by profession. Can PM me w/e and I can at least chat with you but I would like to mention that development can be a long process so getting me to actually do anything might be hard.
    If anyone needs help on PC hardware, building a computer, parts/pricing recommendation for PSO-2 please go to this thread:
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189487

Sometimes I think (well most of the time I think) that people who just blindly ask for programmers/engineers to put together some work for them don't understand that even an experienced coder has to put a lot of work, thought, and time into the things they do for them to work properly. Then just asking them to do it for no compensation whatsoever, other than others' supposed adoration (Yeah, on an internet that doesn't give a shit about or appreciate anything) is even more absurd.

It's not as easy as opening Notepad and typing "IF THIS THING DOES THIS THING THEN DO THIS THING." Understand exactly what you're asking someone to do in asking them to create some dumb thing (tailored to your tastes more than likely) with skills they could be using to get paid elsewhere.

Cold as winter, guns of summer. Point and watch them run.
    Which PSO-W Member Are You?

I've written a few iOS apps. I'm interested, but I need to know -what- you expect. I'm an amateur.

I aspire to be a programer when im older, I tried teaching myself like some people can but i think having a teacher would be abit easier for me.
    That said I obviously cant do anything for you right now xD
    Best of luck finding someone who can though :>

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Nitro Vordex's Avatar

if-cashmoney
    then-app might be made

it'll have to be a lot of meseta, a lot+^_^+ my ADHD brain can only look at code for so long+^_^+ and your gonna have to wait a year or so for me to learn android programming+^_^+ it's sort of new on my campus, on the plus side, i won't have to learn COBOL or RPG, heard those were bitch courses, they were discontinued as of this year in favor of mobile app programming and exchange server+^_^+ (linked for those that think i may have meant role play game) +^_^+

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer View Post
    I aspire to be a programer when im older, I tried teaching myself like some people can but i think having a teacher would be abit easier for me.
    That said I obviously cant do anything for you right now xD
    Best of luck finding someone who can though :>
    Learning programming is mostly about learning a new way to think, and quite literally learning a new language. It tends to be a personal thing. What works for me might not work for you, etc.

That said, I think the best way to learn is to grab a book and just dig in. Find some source code to dissect and have at it. It's loads of fun, and teaches you to think in new ways (this is where the "language" comes in - it's a whole new way of interfacing with ideas, with new terms, concepts, and approaches, with each programming language approaching things either slightly or even radically different).

Really, have at it! It's a wonderfully useful skill to have, even if you just want to use it to solve simple day to day problems.

Visual Basic is a good place to start programming-wise. It's very intuitive and easy to pick up, and it's where I got my start (though I don't exactly program for a living). Programming in Excel is also really easy and will definitely familiarize yourself with IF statements and such, which are the entire basis of ladder-logic domains like PLC logic (which is really fun stuff).

It's definitely like learning a new language, but the advantage is that you can think and reason yourself through it most of the time. Unless you're in Assembly or something

Quote Originally Posted by gigawuts View Post
    Learning programming is mostly about learning a new way to think, and quite literally learning a new language. It tends to be a personal thing. What works for me might not work for you, etc.

That said, I think the best way to learn is to grab a book and just dig in. Find some source code to dissect and have at it. It's loads of fun, and teaches you to think in new ways (this is where the "language" comes in - it's a whole new way of interfacing with ideas, with new terms, concepts, and approaches, with each programming language approaching things either slightly or even radically different).

Really, have at it! It's a wonderfully useful skill to have, even if you just want to use it to solve simple day to day problems.
    Thats a good point, its just a matter of finding a good book to do so.
    Thanks for the support :3
    Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    Visual Basic is a good place to start programming-wise. It's very intuitive and easy to pick up, and it's where I got my start (though I don't exactly program for a living). Programming in Excel is also really easy and will definitely familiarize yourself with IF statements and such, which are the entire basis of ladder-logic domains like PLC logic (which is really fun stuff).

It's definitely like learning a new language, but the advantage is that you can think and reason yourself through it most of the time. Unless you're in Assembly or something
    I'll definitely look into that, everyones different but there is a chance it'd help me if it helped you :>

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialBlade View Post
    Unless you're in Assembly or something
    This is actually the path I took, and one I might recommend if you plan on becoming a serious developer. Assembly is about as arcane and esoteric as it gets, but will give you a good understanding of how to manage memory and how your code is actually being executed. You'll have a leg up on all these new jacks that only understand managed code. The abstraction you get with high level languages is great for lowering the barrier to entry, but also critically damages your understanding of the technical underpinnings.