Page 82 of 110 FirstFirst ... 32727980818283848592 ... LastLast

Hello there,
    What do you think about this skill tree?
    http://ryuhiroshi.ry.funpic.de/pso2/...b00000ib00000f

I built my current one before the english patch and wasted so many SP on useless things, this is why I want to do a new one, based on ATK.
    I never use Fury Stance and I'm much more interested in JA Bonus, S-ATK Up and HP Up.

I'd take points out of S-ATK UP 2 and put them towards Just Guard. Just Guard works extremely well with Sword since you can pretty much cancel all of your moves' recovery into Guard. Plus Just Guard gives you invincibility and blocks pretty much everything besides traps.

On the other hand, Just Guard is situational, while additional S-Atk is useful all the time.

I like Just Guard, but there are few times I've used it, and fewer still where I had to use it, versus an alternative. It boils down to how you like to play and how much you value the points you'd spend on it, but it's not a necessity by any stretch of the imagination. That extra Slashing damage is barely useful itself, though, but again, it's at least something you're using at all times.

The guard canceling point is silly on multiple fronts, by the way, because you can guard cancel regardless of whether you have Just Guard, and it's rarely legitimately useful to do so, especially versus dashing instead into a Step Attack.

It's true that you never have to use it, but 17 more S-ATK isn't going to help that much either. It at least makes the game a bit more interesting by having a new thing to mess around with.

The guard canceling point is to highlight the fact that you can make better use of Just Guard than say a Wired Lance or Partizan (where you have to jump cancel before you can guard). Plus Sword's step is slower than the other two so it's a bit easier to go into Just Guard than utilize Step all the time.

Hello!

I'm a beginner, sorry if my questions here are a bit silly. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

So, first off: how does Hunter fare against the other classes in the long run? As of now, I see low level rangers outplaying me in terms of damage, and since I can't tank anything either, I'm failing to see why Hunter would be a better class than Ranger.

Also, are there popular builds people tend to go for? What should I have in mind when spending points? I barely spent any points so far (level 16) because I'm afraid of messing this up.

Thanks in advance for the replies =)!

PS: Sorry if those were answered before. The topic has 82 pages and search function didn't help me much.

I acknowledged that it wasn't much of an increase, but if you don't use Just Guard much, or at all, or just don't want to, it's better than nothing, too.

Again, whether Just Guard is the best option depends on the situation, and a fraction of a second slower or not, dashing is usually the better option; the most important thing about Step Attack is that it offers you offense while you position yourself, in itself becoming a good defense.

Just Guard does have its uses (such as when a Ragne you didn't see just until now is about to land on your head), but otherwise, staying put is usually one of the worst things you can do in this game, invincibility frames or not. This isn't a game where you need to fuss too much about such things, though; if you like using Just Guard a lot, use it - there'll barely be any difference between you and the guy who knows exactly what to do in each situation. But if you don't care about it, you shouldn't feel like you're missing an integral part of your repertoire, because you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuugo View Post
    Hello!

I'm a beginner, sorry if my questions here are a bit silly. I'll get the hang of it eventually.

So, first off: how does Hunter fare against the other classes in the long run? As of now, I see low level rangers outplaying me in terms of damage, and since I can't tank anything either, I'm failing to see why Hunter would be a better class than Ranger.

Also, are there popular builds people tend to go for? What should I have in mind when spending points? I barely spent any points so far (level 16) because I'm afraid of messing this up.

Thanks in advance for the replies =)!

PS: Sorry if those were answered before. The topic has 82 pages and search function didn't help me much.
    You know how you're looking for who has the highest numbers, and who is the "best"? Don't do that anymore. Hunter is probably the "weakest" class in the game right now, at least on its own, but all classes reward good play and can compete with one another. It's just a matter of finding what you want to do, and what makes what you're doing effective.

That said, this isn't a game that favors defensively-minded players in the slightest. Your Hunter, to get what it seems you want out of it, and to get the most out of what the class has to offer, needs to be mobile and do as much damage per hit as possible. Look at skills that favor this, weigh what sounds good on paper versus what might be good in application, and if you still have questions, ask again, but first ask yourself how to get what you want out of things.

You should also fool around with the weapon types and their PAs and see what you enjoy the best, and then ask yourself if you're playing for variety or for pure effectiveness. Swords are the best overall option available to Hunters in that regard; Sonic Arrow, Rising Edge, and Nova Strike can handle just about anything you'll come across. Sonic Arrow is a ranged attack that does very serviceable damage and is many players' general go-to option, Rising Edge has high vertical reach, knockdown capability, and can hit tricky opponents, or even let you get places you can't jump to normally, and Nova Strike hits in a circle around you, does good damage, and also knocks down. If you ask me, if you want to be the most powerful Hunter you can be, a Sword should be in your hands at least some of the time, and with it the Sword Gear skill. Note also that you can charge Rising Edge and Nova Strike by holding down the PA button, which will extend their durations, and that Sword Gear shortens their charge time considerably. Oh, and get Step Attack regardless of what you do, because it's groovy; it lets you attack while dashing, which can be followed up with additional attacks, or PAs.

That was longer than I intended it, but the general idea should be "try everything and see what works for you". Me, I'm content with rocking that Sword and completely ignoring every other offensive option the class has, feeling they don't outweigh that weapon and the above PAs, but you may feel you want more variety, or have more success elsewhere.

Hello Geistritter, and thank you for the quick answer!

On the looking for numbers subject, I will probably keep doing it even if I don't get to change to the class with the best overall performance in the end of the research. It's just something I need to know, I don't like wasting time (wrongly) planning ahead without understanding what the thresholds are for things =).

Considering Hunter is the weakest class in the game by itself right now, I'll assume it can be good with a good subclass? If so, what options would be the best in terms of subclasses?

As for fooling around with classes / PAs / weapons, I think that for the stuff I currently have access to, I pretty much tested it all (I am even using the exact same PAs you have mentioned in your post, except I sometimes use Cruel Throw too for the high damage). The game is just fun overall, I can enjoy myself playing with any kind of weapon / class =).

That said, 2 questions remain:

1) What are popular Hunter builds I should consider taking a look at instead of trying to start one by myself from scratch?

2) What are good subclass options for Hunter to make the class more viable?

Again, thanks a lot for anyone who replies =)!

Common skills taken are maxed Fury Stance and JA Bonus, although this takes a hit if you grab Sword Gear, which is a bummer. As I mentioned earlier, Step Attack contributes to a mobile and sustained offense. Just Guard/Counter is entirely up to you, but if I personally could have gotten the points I put into it back and into JA Bonus, I'd do it; I like Just Guard, but it just doesn't suit my style of play enough for it to be there for me. You don't sound like you'd fancy any of the boosts to Guard Stance, so I'd ignore them, and Fury Stance Up is your call as well; each maxed out only give 50 ATK, but it's better than nothing. I'd get the most out of JA Bonus possible before looking at them, though.

As far as pure offensive options is concerned, Fighter is far and away the best subclass Hunter has, and is why I mentioned Hunter was weaker "by itself"; with Fighter, which has passive buffs that increase your damage by about 150% from the front of enemies, or 165%'ish from behind, Fighter's extremely powerful offensive skills in turn improve Hunter a great deal as well. Note that if you want to go with Fighter as your subclass, and took Step Attack as a Hunter, don't do it again as a Fighter, as that will be wasted skill points. The rule with subclasses is that anything you can use on your main class benefits from your subclass, so keep that in mind about Step Attack regardless of whether you end up sticking with Hunter, or find Fighter more your style.

Techer is a more rounded approach; it has all of Force's support spells, but it also features skills that boost them, albeit slightly. It also has stats slightly better for a job as a subclass for a front-liner. If you want techs in your bag of tricks, Techer has more to offer a non-Force than Force itself does, subclass-wise.

Ranger and Gunner don't do a lot for you. Ranger's Weak Hit Advance skills, which give increased damage to struck weak points, are very powerful, but don't work well with Hunter and Fighter, because the majority of their damage is dealt away from enemy weak points. Gunner has a PP Regeneration skill that's nice to have around, but you won't get any argument out of me that it's worth losing Fighter's massive damage contribution.

In general, Fighter may just end up being more your style in the end, anyway.

How much does fury stance bonus increase?