Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Default Do PSO2 maps feel small/lame to anyone else?

I've had a lot of gripes about the maps in the game feeling small compared to PSO1. I wasn't really sure if they were, but the exploration was completely unsatisfying.

The other day, I changed my mini map to the zoomed-in view so I didn't always know exactly where to go all the time. Then I bound the "Area Map" to R3 on my controller so I could check it if I needed it and moved the camera as low to the ground as it would go to get less of a bird's-eye perspective.

Before I did this, I was playing with my eyes glued to the map to find my way, while watching my actual character and the scenery out of the corner of my eye. With a restricted map and a more down-to-earth camera, the scenery really popped. Combat felt more fresh, and the maps felt much larger. (though still a little too basic and grid-like)

Anyone else have an experience like that?
    Last edited by Jim; Jul 21, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
    I wrote an AC purchasing guide for JP PSO2 a long time ago. I don't play PSO2 anymore, but I still play Blue Burst sometimes. Maybe I'll catch you on there!

Community Manager Cyron Tanryoku's Avatar

it's not that they're small
    it's that it's a lot of lines splitting everywhere and overly complicated and RNG

Makes it boring

I dislike the random map generator most times. Sometimes they're too big, and sometimes they're too small. I prefer the styles from PSO and PSU where the path was mostly linear, but with extra places to explore along the way.

When i have a map that i pay passes for (AQ) and it literally makes an L i get disappointed.

but otherwise, they're fine.

"It looks cool this way, let's stop."

Quote Originally Posted by Z-0 View Post
    I think they feel too big.
    They may be bigger than PSO1 for all I know, I just didn't like how routine they started feeling after a while.

It's interesting that you say that though. Do you feel they're too big as in they take too long, or that the stuff to do in them isn't densely packed enough?
    I wrote an AC purchasing guide for JP PSO2 a long time ago. I don't play PSO2 anymore, but I still play Blue Burst sometimes. Maybe I'll catch you on there!

I like long forks that end in actual good codes, thus making the run take up time with engaging content. If it's just a bunch of code collects it doesn't matter how enormous the map is, it feels way too small.

It's mostly a problem with the action being too far spread out, and happening too quickly for it to be satisfying. I feel like I spend more time running around in this game than killing things, since only one spawn can happen in each block, and the blocks aren't exactly tiny.

The James Franco of PSO2 NoiseHERO's Avatar

I think they lack the substance they tried to cover up with weather and the lazy RNG mold squares rearrangement.

Like people complained about PSU being linear and repetative, and even PSO I hated how you just kept going back to the same map, but at least it was actually... a place. but PSO2 does the worst job.

I remember thinking the level designs in PSO2 were vast and endless and interesting, up until the point where I started paying attention to the mini map and suddenly the entire level design looked naked and it wasn't impressive.

AYY. All you nillas days is numbered.

I think they're missing doors/gates.

sig by me, PM if you want to request one.
    Ship 2/Ship 4:
    Sakia HU FI newearl | アモリ RAmarl | Hasumi FO RA caseal | ぴょましFOnewearl | 白井 BR HU Duman | リーヨウ RA GU caseal| Rena SU FI| マテオ HU/NK