Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ark01000 View Post
    I said I was up for suggesting but I also need it for school as I need to do a lot of editing for art and graphics. I was suggested to get a Mac by some people in my class but I do still want to play pso2.
    I did not read the comments so someone might have said this already, but there is no inherent advantage in using an Apple computer for artistic purposes, unless you personally find the system ergonomically or aesthetically superior. Equivalent or superior editing software is available for Windows (which extends to Linux operating systems) focused hardware. Additionally, Apple hardware (portable hardware, especially) is more expensive in general than statistically-equivalent PCs, so I am not sure why someone would have told a person on a budget that a Mac would be their best bet other than due to the common rumor that they somehow excel at art.

I'm not even mad about the whole Mac vs. PC thing. If you can only afford one, and you need it for school/work/art/programmingthing, then go ahead. But please for the love of god, don't get an Air if you're going to game on it. I've tried that before when I was bored and nothing better to do at school, and not only does it not have enough power to run large games, but the laptop got extremely hot. (It's my own paranoia that since there isn't that much vent space in the Air in the first place, by having it run at high temperatures it's going to damage it's performance overtime. Of course, I haven't had that problem yet, but I don't game on it either.)

If you were to game on a Mac (or doing something super heavy like video editing or something along the lines of that), I'd suggest to at least get a Macbook Pro.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Superia View Post
    I did not read the comments so someone might have said this already, but there is no inherent advantage in using an Apple computer for artistic purposes, unless you personally find the system ergonomically or aesthetically superior. Equivalent or superior editing software is available for Windows (which extends to Linux operating systems) focused hardware. Additionally, Apple hardware (portable hardware, especially) is more expensive in general than statistically-equivalent PCs, so I am not sure why someone would have told a person on a budget that a Mac would be their best bet other than due to the common rumor that they somehow excel at art.
    Well, as someone who owns both, it's true that I can probably find programs that are as good or superior on Windows. But I just like the iOS more for some reason when it comes to trying to be productive. If he really likes the OS, then that's most likely the deciding factor if he buys a Windows laptop or an Apple laptop.
    Last edited by Magicks; Apr 27, 2015 at 09:22 PM.

I got a Macbook Pro for my school, but still wanted to play PSO2 as well. So, I put bootcamp on it and gave it a whirl.

PSO2 does not like Macs. I ran it with the lowest settings and it ran satisfactory at first. I had frame drops when it loaded things, but when everything was loaded, I could play. But it lagged more and more after every 6+ gig update.

A year or so ago, I'd say you might be able to manage it with a good Macbook Pro. Now with Episode III out and all, I'd say it probably can't handle it. Especially not a Macbook Air.

That Mac is now specifically for drawing purposes as it should be. Hopefully this gives a little insight.