View Poll Results: How do you feel about the creation of a 3rd party PSO server outside of Sega? Should this be done?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

82 88.17%
  • No

5 5.38%
  • Don't care

6 6.45%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Canune Ring Cooker

On 2003-10-02 19:13, dj_dan wrote:
    Since I have no idea how these things work, I wonder...
    if it's possible to make your own private server, is it possible to dictate how the game operates?

I mean, could you change things so that every Hidelt would instead spawn as a Hildetorr, every Ob Lily a Mil Lily etc? I don't know if the game works that way, but it sure would give new meaning to "Ultimate Mode".
    I don't think that you could specifically make enemies spawn as rare enemies all of the time; I believe that is part of the PSO code itself. However, with people possibly making their own homebrew quests, there is a lot of other kinds of control that server hosts could exhibit. You might see quests like "Forest Filled with Hildebears", "Caves Filled with Lillies", or "Hopkins Gives You a Free Heaven Punisher".

Barubary6: You certainly have a tough decision to make. You compare your server to Bnetd, however I think your program is actually closer to server emulators for games like Everquest, Ultima Online, and Ragnarok Online. It may be valuable to look into how those server emulators have so far fared legally.

I don't believe that you should really find that much trouble for this particular server, especialy since the DC PSO servers have been shutdown (at least in the US and Japan. Not in Europe?). However, that may not be true if Sega somehow believes that your technology could somehow be extended to also work with the Gamecube and Xbox versions.

BTW, did you suceed in downloading the DC online quests?

theyre down in japan?

i got told they are still up in europe and japan. well... time for loggin on a last time i guess ^-^

hm... isnt there a way to log onto the EU DNS-server with an US copy of the game? or is the HL setting directly on disk?

for quests... hm... i think hosting code to play on is soso ok, but hosting download quests made by sonic team (c-mode or battle stages, download quests, online quests...) might be definitely illegal.

how about asking sega to look away? might help...
    other than that, they might sue you anytime for driving off customers from the actual version or any other official reason.

Canune Ring Cooker

On 2003-10-04 06:06, rena-ko wrote:
    theyre down in japan?

i got told they are still up in europe and japan. well... time for loggin on a last time i guess ^-^

hm... isnt there a way to log onto the EU DNS-server with an US copy of the game? or is the HL setting directly on disk?
    Er, uh, I dunno.

how about asking sega to look away? might help...
    other than that, they might sue you anytime for driving off customers from the actual version or any other official reason.
    Asking Sega would be probably a good idea. I don't think you would steal business form them, if you only allow DC/PC. Besides, a private run server wouldn't (probably) have the bandwidth to really place a threat to them.

Again, asking Sega is the thing to do before going public. Just make sure you clearly state your "business" and don't leave any details out. Best thing might be to talk to their marketing section first, since they are the most concerned with the fans (they fear bad reputation and negative marketing).

I thought a 3rd party server should have been developed back when it was still the big thing. It would be controlled by a smaller group who could actually enforce the rules.

On 2003-10-02 18:18, Android8968 wrote:
    Well ifs it not baburays server tell me.
    And about the cheating thing barburay has the power to ban you. You need to give him your serial # and access key for his server to accept it. If you cause chaos he will removed your access key and BAM! Access Deined.
    Wait.. i could be way off on this but wasn't Barburay the guy who developed some of the most lethal codes for DC PSO? Wasn't he the originator for basically every code that f**ked over someon's character?

If I'm remembering right then boy is THIS ironic that he has a server where he enforces some sort of order.

Rappy Hunter

baburay is a staff member of ccgmsc.com or something like that

is it possible that Barubary could make it so gamecube and dreamcast can both play on this server? If so would he?

EGA Warrior
    In the loney shadows of Oakhurst, California.

I doubt theres any way to allow both DC and NGC to play on the same servers due to the extra characters and costumes that are not present in the DC versions - along with some of the weapons that have had their stats tweaked or items (like state/maintinence and Hit Mats) which were taken out of the NGC version.

Also, Baru wasn't responsible for all the nasty codes out on the DC. He made alot of non-offencive codes like Walk Thru Walls, Item Creation, Inf HP, Inf Items, Bank Bypass, ect. It was other people who modified his codes which caused nearly all the trouble. NOL was a varryiant on Baru's Bank Bypass code for example.