View Poll Results: How do you feel about the creation of a 3rd party PSO server outside of Sega? Should this be done?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

82 88.17%
  • No

5 5.38%
  • Don't care

6 6.45%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

If Barubary can patch all of the cheating, I'll gladly play. I'll send 'im...a roll of quarters...10 bucks!

On 2003-10-08 16:57, Android8968 wrote:
    baburay so many people wnat to get on this server why dont you ever reply?
    This is normal procedure. Once the rumor ball is rolling, all they have to do is sit back and watch it roll. I don't believe there is, was, or will be any private server for PSO. As long as other people believe it, this person will pop their head in every so often, fan the flames a little, and then vanish.

On 2003-10-09 23:11, SuperSubZero wrote:
    On 2003-10-08 16:57, Android8968 wrote:
    baburay so many people wnat to get on this server why dont you ever reply?
    This is normal procedure. Once the rumor ball is rolling, all they have to do is sit back and watch it roll. I don't believe there is, was, or will be any private server for PSO. As long as other people believe it, this person will pop their head in every so often, fan the flames a little, and then vanish.
    It exists. I tried it. However, it was about a year ago when I did, and at that time it was very new. So new all it could do was set up a ship and lobby to go into. You could walk around and talk, but that was the extent. You couldn't create games. That and you needed a code breaker to access the server.

It was kinda cool though. There I was with my Japanese v2 accessing a server not done by SEGA, with Barubary accessing it and talking to me in it through the PC version.

No offence taken! To clarify your points:

On 2003-10-09 10:33, saffaya wrote:
    I would like to thank for your time talking to your company's lawyer. I'd like to comment some points, please do not take them as offensive.
    On 2003-10-09 10:15, Jazhara wrote:
    By reverse engineering / decompiling PSO a person is in breach of the laws under which software is sold to them.
    That point depends on the country you live in (or server resides).
    Reverse engineering is perfectly legal in Europe (for now).
    Lol, you don't have to tell me! The company I work for reverse engineered the NES to make a cheat system. Back in the day 'o course...

It's illegal in the US AFAIK though, and Japan - which is what matters after all.

The main issue SEGA may have with this is v2 players that might otherwise move to the GC / XBox versions (or Ep.III) will be playing on this server, hence they lose profit.
    That point is highly debatable. Forcing hardware upgrades on customers is not very defendable.
    I'm not suggesting this would be used as justification for server closure in a court of law - simply this may be a factor in SEGA's decision to pursue the case.

Also, another key concern is the profile, use and image of their IP (Intellectual Property). For example, if Barubary allowed major nasty hacks and cheating as standard, that could damage people's perception / opinion of PSO and would damage SEGA's brand.
    Excuse me while I roll on the floor laughing at this one ^_^.
    Just thinking at everything that was running wild under SEGA's running the servers (PK, CK, NOL ...) makes a threshold so low it will be difficult to do worse ^_^.
    It's fine to make comments like this on a forum - but regardless of the state of SEGA's DC servers, the fact remains the game belongs to them. I doubt they see it as you do! If they think this server will be bad for their game, they will want to shut it down.

Hence the need to speak to SEGA.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jazhara on 2003-10-10 04:12 ]</font>

well, I haven't read every post, but I agree, definitely, for one it means that I could get online with some people that currently can't play online (I know at least one person who lives in australia, and is still stuck without ep 1&2, and I'm sure that he would be happy to hear about a server to play the DC with again)

edit: I don't think there should be much of a problem legally, even here in the states, it doesn't make sense for sega to worry about it since they've abandoned the dreamcast

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CrimsonII2 on 2003-10-10 02:48 ]</font>

On 2003-10-10 01:44, FLEABttn wrote:
    It exists. I tried it. However, it was about a year ago when I did, and at that time it was very new. So new all it could do was set up a ship and lobby to go into. You could walk around and talk, but that was the extent. You couldn't create games. That and you needed a code breaker to access the server.

It was kinda cool though. There I was with my Japanese v2 accessing a server not done by SEGA, with Barubary accessing it and talking to me in it through the PC version.
    The problem with this is it got absolutely no attention outside of you telling me now. Part of the rumor involves someone (with 8 posts) saying OH YEAH I WAS THERE coupled with all kinds of deficiencies (it didn't work right, couldn't do this or that etc). No, I don't buy it.

I can think of MMORPG's with private servers that shouldn't which have attracted considerably more attention. Heck in at least one of those cases they outright STOLE the server code. Yet it's easy to get and set up these illegal servers. Even *I* could do it. And I do.

I find it highly unlikely that there's only one person in the entire world who is capable of making a private server for PSO. I find it even less likely that all this time would go by without even the slightest mention anywhere about such a thing.

On 2003-10-10 04:15, SuperSubZero wrote:

The problem with this is it got absolutely no attention outside of you telling me now. Part of the rumor involves someone (with 8 posts) saying OH YEAH I WAS THERE coupled with all kinds of deficiencies (it didn't work right, couldn't do this or that etc). No, I don't buy it.

I can think of MMORPG's with private servers that shouldn't which have attracted considerably more attention. Heck in at least one of those cases they outright STOLE the server code. Yet it's easy to get and set up these illegal servers. Even *I* could do it. And I do.

I find it highly unlikely that there's only one person in the entire world who is capable of making a private server for PSO. I find it even less likely that all this time would go by without even the slightest mention anywhere about such a thing.
    Barubary has been talking about this sort of thing for quite some time now, actually. After all of the impossible screen shots she's supplied us with (Rico, Flowen, Elly, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, all in a holiday lobby, etc), I don't see any reason to be confused over this. The concept of a PSO server is quite simple. Any programmer with a moderate knowledge of Winsock can create a server program for anything, provided they have some manner of documentation on the protocols to be used (I, myself, have made an e-mail client in Visual Basic-- not very hard at all). We already know that Barubary has cracked the encryption algorythm that PSO uses, and furthermore, you might remember the RAcaseal that, for a time, was sitting in lobbies, effectively banning people who used FSOD hacks. Just take a look in PSOW's news archives for evidence of that.
    I mean really... The connectivity issue for PSO is rather simple. A simple proxy program on the internet connection's host could route the Dreamcast/GameCube/XBox/PC to the server, and the server encrypts outgoing packets, and decrypts incoming packets... We're not talking about anything absurdly complex. If I had the time and resources (mostly documentation on encryption methods and something to pick up data passed around the network), I, myself, could slap together a server program. I've talked to Barubary about it, as well, though she's declined to share her knowledge with me.

So, effectively, it's not that no one else CAN make a PSO server, it's only that no one else HAS made a PSO server. Like I said, given time and resources, even I could make a PSO server.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

On 2003-10-10 04:15, SuperSubZero wrote:
    On 2003-10-10 01:44, FLEABttn wrote:

I'm not asking you to believe me. I'm just saying it exists.

On 2003-10-10 09:26, HUnewearl_Meira wrote:
    Alot of stuff
    I honestly do not believe that person nor you have sufficient knowledge, resources, or time, to single-handedly make a PSO server. Everytime that person comes in here and hints at the fact they have such a thing, it riles people up, gets a thread with a few pages of ME TOO's and then they vanish.

I also like how screenshots are always the scapegoat. Screenshots prove everything. While I have my doubts that this person can make a private server, I do not have doubts that they are somewhat skilled in plugging random values into a cheat device and exploring the results. If those results include warping themselves to an offline lobby, all the better. How many of their screenshots show other people in the lobby with them and all these generated NPC's?

Seeing is believing. I think people are just seeing what they want to believe, and what they are being led to believe.

On 2003-10-10 12:54, SuperSubZero wrote:

I honestly do not believe that person nor you have sufficient knowledge, resources, or time, to single-handedly make a PSO server. Everytime that person comes in here and hints at the fact they have such a thing, it riles people up, gets a thread with a few pages of ME TOO's and then they vanish.

I also like how screenshots are always the scapegoat. Screenshots prove everything. While I have my doubts that this person can make a private server, I do not have doubts that they are somewhat skilled in plugging random values into a cheat device and exploring the results. If those results include warping themselves to an offline lobby, all the better. How many of their screenshots show other people in the lobby with them and all these generated NPC's?

Seeing is believing. I think people are just seeing what they want to believe, and what they are being led to believe.
    Here is widely-witnessed evidence that the encryption has been cracked, and the protocols documented. That's the most difficult part. The Millenium bot requires direct understanding and manipulation of protocols. It's a client version of the software, homemade, running on a PC. If a client version can be made by a user, then a server version isn't a stretch of the imagination at all.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016