Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

This is another oversight by ST, the RA class is effectively useless in c mode. All you need in cmode is a Fo and 3 Hu's, preferably Hucasts. Only in the first few stages are places that require ranged weapons, and even then the Hucast can use a handgun.

however I've seen good players use Ra's the way they are meant to be, as support to the HU's. If they time their shots correctly, they can give the Hu's enough time to strike that final blow that will finish off the enemy.

Head FluidFiend

this actually came up a couple days ago.. i was doing some cmode w/a JP player i'd met earlier that morning. forgot what one we were doing, c7 or 8. i was FO. he asked "C9TA?" i said sure. he made the game. i went to join, and found out he'd actually made it a 'genkai' game and not a normal 'TA' game... (i'd show an example of a genkai game, but can't do the screen shots, so if someone could, it'd be helpful.) anywho, i thought i'd give it a try anyway.. another JP HUc joins, then a FR RAcast, order isn't important. the map turned out to be bad, so as what usually happens in a genkai game, one of the JP HUc's kills himself in order to quit and remake. (the 2 JP players were talking in japanese, so i couldn't understand what was being said, but i got the gyst of it. actually i think it was a combination of a couple things.) needless to say, the FR RAcast was not happy when the JP HUc died and it was over, since the RAc actually needed to finish 9.

my point more or less being, joining a 'genkai' game isn't for vast majority of cmode players. "quick, easy" definition of a genkai game is "an extreme TA game" ('genkai' actually means 'limit' i guess) but, basic rundown of how it works is this: make a game, start the run, judge it a little ways in, if too many enemies, someone dies, quit that game, and remake. repeat until you get a 'good number' of monsters, then judge weps dropped, and die/retry until u get weps w/good %'s. the goal being extremely fast times, which are generally somewhat faster than normal TA times.

ideally, this would've included examples of genkai games, but o well.. mebbe someone else can put a couple up. would also probably be handy to show the japanese for 'reserved', so ppl don't join those either (unless of course you're part of the group )

hehe, hi dirge, btw, if yer on w/Dirge sometime, gimme his card instead of the one i have now. hehe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Curiosity on 2002-04-10 05:21 ]</font>

Genkai - a little more info.

You may occasionally hear English speaking players talking about a "Genkai limit". This is generally a target (total) time that they would like to achieve for the challenge stages.

So for example, if your genkai limit is 4 hours, your aim is to keep doing challenges over and over again, gradually reducing the time of each one until the total time for all of them drops under 4 hours.

(In reality this is a bit of a daft phrase when you think about it. As was pointed out, Genkai is Japanese for limit, so when you say "genkai limit" what you're actually saying is "limit limit")

This approach is the primary reason for aborting stages early on. For serious players, there is little point in wasting half an hour or more to complete the stage if it is clear from the map that it's not going to reduce your time.

Be warned though, many people, sometimes myself included, consider the 'TA' moniker to be enough to warrant the aborting of games early on. A lot of people don't use the term "genkai" and consider TA to be the same thing.

One more thing. If you find yourself in a team with Japanese players and you want to abort the stage, you might like to use the following phrases to inform them of your intentions:

"Hazure" - This is a reasonably common phrase in Japanese and is taken as meaning something akin to us saying "we've drawn the short straw" - ie. we've not got a good map.

"Hidoi mappu" - Literally means 'terrible map'

"Teki o~sugi" - Means something like 'too many enemies'

I tried to post some Japanese characters after the romanic text for anyone who understands kana but the forum software didn't seem to like it so I've removed them. Don't quote me on the last one - I'm pretty sure the 'o' is a stretched vowel, but I'm not 100% sure.

Please note these phrases are not standard in cmode and are my own. I only speak a little Japanese and I can't guarantee they are 100% correct; although most JP players I've spoken to seem to have understood.

Chi.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chiana on 2002-04-11 12:29 ]</font>

I absolutely hate RAmars in c-mode. At the least the other rangers can see the traps and shoot 'em for you. Please, if you have a RAmar, do us all a favor and don't use him for c-mode.

It all comes down to the player when comparing RAngers and FOrces. I've played with idiotic FOrces who wasted their tp using gi- techs and RAngers who died only 3 or 4 levels into the challenge.

One thing I want to add to the FAQ:

If you're either a RAnger or a FOrce, don't join a team that already has the class that you are.

can someone help me on C8 i cant find any games. i am a humar and just tell when u want to play. plz reply.

Not sure if you know, but the challenge block has been moved to (Japan) Io-11. Look around from time to time and you're bound to find a C8 team.

I should elaborate on C8 a bit. Early on in C8, there's a shortcut door that requires four weapons to open. Early on, you may see people saying "0," or "1" or other numbers. This is the number of weapon(s) they've found. Assuming you have a FOrce on the team, generally, if you find 2 or more weapons, you take the shortcut (with two people, including the FOrce, giving up their weapon).

oh i didnt know it was move thats why nobody was in mirinda/11or what ever the name is.

Man, so many RAs have been kicked from C-Mode teams........a RAcast is actually pretty good if played right.

i am a humar and right know theres know one playing c8. can someone play right know plz.