View Poll Results: Is my item a dupe when I copy my own item for a friend and I keep one of the two?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 88.00%
  • No

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Is my item a dupe when I copy my own item for a friend and I keep one of the two?

Human After All

Yes. Depending upon how you go about duping, once you dupe the original Item is gone and is replaced by two exact replicas.

Duping is bad, you shouldn't do it. If a friend wants a copy of an item you have, tell him to fuck off and find one himself. It is the instant cure. spreading dupes makes you not only a cheater, but also a n00b.

IMO.

This belongs in cheaters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Quo on 2004-08-18 11:23 ]</font>

Dupe, as in duplicate (noun)...

Main Entry: 3du-pli-cate
    Pronunciation: -k&t
    Function: noun
    1 a : either of two things exactly alike and usually produced at the same time or by the same process b : an additional copy of something (as a book or stamp) already in a collection
    2 : one that resembles or corresponds to another : COUNTERPART
    3 : two identical copies -- used in the phrase in duplicate
    synonym see REPRODUCTION
    What kind of question is this anyway? You duplicated it, it is therefore a duplicate (aka dupe). Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

I'm a little confused about how this would NOT be a dupe. Dupe = duplicate (Identically copied from an original).

Human After All

On 2004-08-18 11:32, heyf00L wrote:
    I'm a little confused about how this would NOT be a dupe. Dupe = duplicate (Identically copied from an original).
    I think he means: if he gave one to a friend, would the friend have the dupe and would he have the original legit copy, or would they both be dupes?

There's no original but I put effort in to my search and I want to put effort into it too. Would that make me a cheater since my friend is too lame to search it for himself?

Normaly when something is copied, it is possible to make out which is the original and which is the copy. The problem here seems to be that it is impossible to make out which is the original and which is the copy.
    So, legits consider both dupe. It doesn't matter which you keep or give away. Both people are stuck with a dupe.

On 2004-08-18 11:41, Gynn_Rei wrote:
    There's no original but I put effort in to my search and I want to put effort into it too. Would that make me a cheater since my friend is too lame to search it for himself?
    You're a cheater for exploiting a game's glitch for the benifit of you or someone else. Again, the concept should not be so hard for you to grasp. Whether you care enough to stop duping is entirely up to you.

On 2004-08-18 11:21, Quo wrote:
    Yes. Depending upon how you go about duping, once you dupe the original Item is gone and is replaced by two exact replicas.

Duping is bad, you shouldn't do it. If a friend wants a copy of an item you have, tell him to fuck off and find one himself. It is the instant cure. spreading dupes makes you not only a cheater, but also a n00b.

IMO.

This belongs in cheaters.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Quo on 2004-08-18 11:23 ]</font>
    Technically, there is no "original" item. The hex for any item is simply stored in various areas on the character data. If you drop the item and pick it up, its technically a dupe because the game erased the data in the original offset location and recreated it in the a new area of the game data.

Every item in the game is simply a hex number that changes location as you use, drop, and bank them. Duping simply allows you to place an item on the ground without erasing the hex values from your inventory. You need to remember that these items have no physical attributes, they are only combinations of hex values (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e and f) and nothing more.

Anyway, I'm neither condoning nor comdemning the act of duping, but rather pointing out, there is no "original" item. As for the ethics of duping, I would say that depends on the person and how they view it. If someone has worked hard to obtain an item, they don't "owe" their friends a copy of it. It all depends on the value that you place on it. I think often times its not really the actual item that they place value on, but instead the hard work and dedication it took to get that item. I can definitely understand someone who has spent many, many hours searching for a particular thing not wanting to cheapen that item by duping copies.

Like I said before the items are just a series of hex values that change locations depending on what you are doing with them, but the time spent to acquire that specific set of hex values is real and does have value and thats what needs to be considered when you are thinking about duping an item for someone.

On 2004-08-18 11:41, Gynn_Rei wrote:
    Duping is cheating. There's no way around that.
    Even backup duping is cheating. The legal sollution is backing up your save. If you have a BBA and a home network there are tools to do this.