View Poll Results: Is my item a dupe when I copy my own item for a friend and I keep one of the two?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 88.00%
  • No

3 12.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    teh ninja'd

although Violet has an intresting (and actually pretty accurate, if not 100% accurate) point,
    heyf00l is correct

Put simply, violating the ToS is against the law.
    You agreed to it, so you violated it.

On 2004-08-18 16:44, Corey wrote:
    although Violet has an intresting (and actually pretty accurate, if not 100% accurate) point,
    heyf00l is correct

Put simply, violating the ToS is against the law.
    You agreed to it, so you violated it.

I don't know how anyone can disagree (or blatantly ignore) my point about how the ToS is not enforced at all, and as such, Sega has not held up its part of the bargain. According to the ToS, Sega is supposed to be punishing people who exploit glitches, which they clearly are not doing. Because of Sega's failure to recognize its own contract, it can effectively be considered worthless.

It's against the law to pass people on the shoulder of a road, but people do it anyway, and it causes no harm to anyone (in fact, it's actually beneficial, because it speeds traffic along). Backup duping can be thought of in the same way. It causes no harm to anyone as long as responisibility is taken in deleting backups in trade situations. Backup duping makes the game more enjoyable because people don't have to fear random FSODs which will make them lose items.

Not everything truly needs to be backed up. If you have an Orotiagito in your bank which is only there as a trophy, it's safe to say that it's not going to be lost to FSOD. On the other hand, I would never play online if I couldn't back up my BKB. It's not necessarily for a collection; it's for serious ass kicking. I got myself a legit BKB so I would be able to own things more thoroughly, not just for a checklist saying what items I have gotten. Same with my nifty Red Sword. Those aren't so easily stumbled upon, and I can't say that I'm up for a ton of caves runs to look for one to replace mine if lost to FSOD.

People need to realize that there is no "one-size-fits-all" rule to duping being good or bad. Duping certainly has good uses thanks to ST's failure regarding FSOD. I consider people that use backup dupes to be legit. On the other hand, people who find an item and spread dupes of it all around Vega, are devaluing items for legits, which is unacceptable.

teh ninja'd

Even so, it is still against the law.
    It's your decision wether you care or not.

I don't care about the ToS, and nobody should anymore. It's a worthless document which was stripped of any value because of ST's failure to keep promises implied by the ToS. Because ST (the party which wrote the ToS) doesn't care about its own laws, nobody else is forced to abide by their shit. If you aren't forced to do something, it is not a law. We are forced to not kill people because if we get caught, we will get put away in jail for a long time. If we dupe... well, nothing happens. If the United States government decided to stop doing anything about murders, it wouldn't be considered a law that you can't kill people. See my point, Corey?

On 2004-08-18 11:17, Gynn_Rei wrote:
    Is my item a dupe when I copy my own item for a friend and I keep one of the two?
    COPY = DUPLICATE (=DUPE)

Doesnt that tell you everything? Why always these stupid questions, these are here 4-ever. And WHO cares?

Let people who wanna play "legit" play legit, don't bother them!
    Let people who wanna play "with duped stuff" play with it, and don't bother them either!

Stupid poll, even more stupid , people who respond with a real intense answer, im sorry people, im getting sick of these stupid dupe, legit etc questions...
    Just play the game!

PatserGOUKI

paster is right.

i give away the legit versions of items to noobs, and what? i don't give a crap, and nor do they.

well half of the poeple here are right. if you dupe it its a dupe. listen to you say this IF YOU DUPE THIS thats all you haft to say DUPE sooo srry the legitness of the item is gone.

Back at work. Violet person, the indicates a joke. We're still friends, right?

OK, onward.
    Since when is the ToS the law? It's not. It comes nowhere close to being a legally binding contract. The ToS just justifies Sega's denial of service (bannings) when you break their rules.

Anyway, I'd love to tell you how to backup saves, but the process is a close cousin to GameCube piracy and even the Item Mod method. If done correctly, tho, you don't break any laws. This isn't like Xbox where you use hacked bioses and all the programs are made with illegal coppies of the XDK.

I have written a guide for my friends. If you see me outside of PSOWorld I'll give you a link. You might can find my email on a certain FAQ hosted by IGN.

IMO duping for a friend is wrong, but that makes your friend a cheater, not you.

And about the ToS, a contract, whether enforced or not, is legally binding. It's up to ST whether they want to press charges, which, obviously, they won't.

On 2004-08-19 10:53, heyf00L wrote:
    Back at work. Violet person, the indicates a joke. We're still friends, right?
    Of course That was never even in question

And to stay on topic I'll add that in addition to the method of backing up your memory card, if someone doesn't mind starting a new char, they can use a USB memory card (Gameshark now makes one, so you don't even need to import one like most of us did lol) and easily save your files to pc.