Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPod Owners

Yeah, I've tried those iTrip things before too. They work really well. Not at long range, but enough that you could hook it up, have the iPod in your car seat/somewhere, and then listen to your own 1337 radio station. =D

Dark Falz Cultist

(Wow, I just remembered that this forum exists. Hi PSOW)

I had an iPod until just recently, and I used an iTrip with it. I was generally pleased with its performance, but it wasn't perfect.

There was the occasional static, especially when around a lot of power lines; there were a few times where it stubbornly refused to turn on until I reset the iPod; there were a few times that there would be loud random bursts of static (though this happened on highways far from my normal radio range, and if it were on a different station this probably wouldn't have happened). However, these were exceptions, not frequent problems.

Also... on long trips, you'll have to reset the transmitting station every now and then. If this doesn't frequently come up, you'll probably be fine. (I've made the ~550 mile drive between Virginia and Vermont four times in the past four months, so it was a little more irritating for me.)

Cassette adapters are a bit more stable, but iTrips are certainly useful if you don't have a tape player.

Enjoy your iPod. They're fun little things. I just wish I hadn't somehow dropped mine onto asphalt.
    I'm not a frequent dropper of expensive objects, but of course I end up dropping my iPod just after the warranty expires, bah.

The fuh? They break if you drop them? Jesus. I've dropped my GBA a dozen times on all kinds of things, it still works. I've had my GC fall 5 feet to a hardwood floor, it still works. I've abused a hard drive to the point where it should be completely fried, it happily installed and boots XP Pro. O_o;

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

Dark Falz Cultist

As far as I'm aware, most harddrive-based mp3 players can't take a serious fall (or other severe abuse), thanks to their wonderful moving internal parts.

It was the hard drive itself that was damaged on mine. It was paused when I dropped it. When I picked it up, it continued playing that album just fine, most likely due to its 20-odd-minute cache. But once I tried to move to a different album, it became apparent that it was indeed broken.

Flash-based mp3 players can sustain a lot more damage, but... well, my lifestyle isn't XTREME enough to warrant spending such a godawful amount on a little bit of storage.

I have an iPod as well. It is excellent, never had any problems. Originally, I used a tape player in my car. It worked absolutely perfect, no static or anything. Then I fooled around with FM transmitters and didn't find any to be good expcept for the $110 transmitter/charger. The rest were very staticy etc.

I got my cousin an iTrip for christmas to compliment her ipod and it seems to work very well. Of course, an FM transmitter is the least deserireable (but most convient) method of getting your ipod to play on your stereo.

Some stereo's have an auxillary imput. A direct line in gives you the best sound. A tape adapter (which you don't have) ranks in second, and the fm transmitter is third.

If you live in a large city with many radio stations it can be annoying as they can and will interefere with the itrip.

I have heard there is a way to extend the range and strength of the signal on the itrip, so much so that if you knew what station a person in the car next to you was listening to, you could put the itrip to broadcast on that channel, and they would be listening to your ipod. Of course it couldn't do that out of the box, the fcc probably wouldn't like that too much...

There are other fm transmitters that will do the same thing for less money, but none of them have the style of the itrip. It's also really convienent that it mounts right on top of the ipod.

Definitely one of the best accesories for the ipod.

Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for