Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Most people here who are reading this thread should ignore the babies who have computers with parts older than my dead grandmother and just try the Open Beta themselves.

I had an older Athlon XP processor, although I did have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, and I was able to run PSOBB at 1024x768 with reflections and all, even in Seabed. There was a bit of lag in that area at times, but even the Gamecube version lags in the Seabed.

For Ian to say the Gamecube version does not lag is pretty false. Gamecube version lags like a motherfucker in Seabed, especially when you're casting spells and especially when you play it online.

The lag I was experiencing in Seabed on my setup was pretty much the same as the Gamecube version when spells and the like are going off, or perhaps it was a little less lag, I'm not sure. I haven't played BB in awhile, but it was still extremely playable.

(The other areas outside of Seabed did not have any lag at all for me and everything was peachy.)

As others have stated, just try the open beta for yourself and see how it works out for you.

Psst.. I see you, little Sinow.

Misc. Seabed Pic 1
    Misc. Seabed Pic 2
    Misc. Seabed Pic 3
    Misc. Seabed Pic 4
    Misc. Seabed Pic 5

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rianna_Type1 on 2005-05-01 10:16 ]</font>

I read it on PSOW, so it must be true

On 2005-05-01 10:11, Rianna_Type1 wrote:
    Most people here who are reading this thread should ignore the babies who have computers with parts older than my dead grandmother and just try the Open Beta themselves.
    Your dead grandmother must be pretty young >_>

My computer is cheap, yes. But not old. To upgrade it would be expensive. My computer couldn't even run the Japanese Beta on the MINIMUM settings. That would be the round shadows, the no reflections, probably fuzzy even (I wouldn't really know).

The Gamecube, the memory card, the game, the adaptor, the HL. That would be less expensive than upgrading my computer enough to be on par with the GC version. And seriously, all the younger players who's parents buy computers for the sake of having a computer, do you think they purchase top of the line computers just for their kids to research on the internet and write essays in Word?

I'm not saying this cause I'm anti-BB. I seriously want to play Episode 4 (I could care less for the team system or extra shortcuts), but not everyone has a good enough computer for it.

Even when GC lags in Seabed when you've got 4 players spamming techs, it sure as fuck doesn't lag when you're simply running through hallways. 9_9

And yes, there you go, hitting on and PROVING my point. How many people have a Radeon 9800? Most people don't even have the crappy GeForce FX5200 I have, and it's the graphics card, not the speed of the computer, as you have so helpfully shown, that determines if the game is playable or if it will look like fucking shit.

You really think all the people with built-in POS intel graphics will have a lag-free, effect-laden, enjoyable PSOBB experience? ROFLMAO.

Again, why the hell would someone buy a 200$ graphics card for one game? Especially when that game is PSO?

If you're a hardcore PC gamer, you'll already have the card and you'll probably move on to a better game before long.

If you're not a hardcore PC gamer, you're not going to buy a fancy card just for one singular game that you can play on console hardware you already own.

Get real. It's not 'whining' or being a 'baby', it's simple facts. I have the ability right now to go out and just buy, right this second, whatever the current absolute best-of-the-best graphics card is, bring it home, and pop it in. Would I? No. Every other PC game I've played besides PSOBB doesn't need anything more than what I already have. I don't like gaming on the computer that much. I hate using the keyboard for it, I'm not fond of the mouse for it, and even using a controller for the computer isn't that spectacular. So why would I care? Why would I even go buy a Radeon 9800? Just for PSO? Um, no. I don't think so. O_o;

"But oh, PSU!" But oh, I own a PS2!

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

Well, anybody playing PC games should have a decent graphics card anyway, imho.

If you want to play PC games but aren't willing to make sure your PC has a semi-decent card in it, then don't even bother.

If you want to play online PC games that can use your integrated graphics card, stick to something bland like Ragnarok Online. 2D sprites on very simplistic 3D backgrounds. That's all you'd be able to play on it anyway, besides some really old stuff like MAYBE Unreal Tournament (the original) and Quake 3 (or 2).

The card I have, the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB is only $130 now. Not $200 or anything around that nature. Don't believe? Check pricewatch.com That's really not that expensive and still very good for PC gaming.

Another really good card to get is the GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP which would only run you about $169.

Both of these cards still play the latest games at decent detail levels and are very affordable.

Plus, the card you buy wouldn't *just* be used for PSOBB either. It'd power anything you ran on your PC past, present, and future. (Until you had to upgrade again...)

I've always bought for the future and my 9800 Pro is still kicking even though I bought it a couple of years ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rianna_Type1 on 2005-05-01 10:49 ]</font>

Now wait just a second, how is the whole FX line of graphics cards shit? Also, why would FX5200 be shit if it is reccomended? I understand they mean that it should be able to play the game on normal requirements, but when you say lag, how bad is it really?

As stated previously, I have a GeForce FX 5500, and I have all the drivers and such up to date. A rather good processer, 512 RAM, and 10+ GB HD space. According to the website, I have more than enough to play on an average level.

Now, if all these things which are stated mean my game will look like ass. Then what the hell is ST smoking when they put that graphic card page up?
    You don't have to understand why; simply understand that's how I roll.

On 2005-05-01 10:11, Rianna_Type1 wrote:

I had an older Athlon XP processor, although I did have a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, and I was able to run PSOBB at 1024x768 with reflections and all, even in Seabed. There was a bit of lag in that area at times, but even the Gamecube version lags in the Seabed.

For Ian to say the Gamecube version does not lag is pretty false. Gamecube version lags like a motherfucker in Seabed, especially when you're casting spells and especially when you play it online.

The lag I was experiencing in Seabed on my setup was pretty much the same as the Gamecube version when spells and the like are going off, or perhaps it was a little less lag, I'm not sure. I haven't played BB in awhile, but it was still extremely playable.

(The other areas outside of Seabed did not have any lag at all for me and everything was peachy.)

As others have stated, just try the open beta for yourself and see how it works out for you.

http://www.vengefulsoda.com/bb129.jpg

Psst.. I see you, little Sinow.

Misc. Seabed Pic 1
    Misc. Seabed Pic 2
    Misc. Seabed Pic 3
    Misc. Seabed Pic 4
    Misc. Seabed Pic 5

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rianna_Type1 on 2005-05-01 10:16 ]</font>
    You should really turn on anti-aliasing.. Jaggies aren't nice, some anisotropic filtering wouldn't hurt either :P

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrokenHope on 2005-05-01 11:57 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BrokenHope on 2005-05-01 11:58 ]</font>

On 2005-05-01 11:54, BrokenHope wrote:
    You should really turn on anti-aliasing.. Jaggies aren't nice, some anisotropic filtering wouldn't hurt either

It's really not such a big deal. The game looks fine while in motion.

Similar to the same way you tend to see more jaggies on PS2 game screenshots but the game looks better in motion.

If I turned on anti-aliasing, I think, it would have a bit more slowdown. I'll try it with my system now though, in the Open Beta.

A good compromise when I was testing before was 800x600 with anti-aliasing, I think. It looked pretty nice.

I keep hearing that FX 5200 is a terrible card for this game, can anyone prove this with a image or something?

Also, upon looking on the screenshots above which were taken with a Radeon 9800 pro, I think that my computer would EXPLODE when fighting Olga flow... (Unless the crap I heard about the FX Cards is false )
    You don't have to understand why; simply understand that's how I roll.

A-P

I also have a FX5500 (256mb)

Works fairly well except in some cases if your computer lags elsewhere then it might not as well... as you might not know, my mobo uses AGP 4x... so yeah ;_;

On 2005-05-01 23:23, Nites wrote:
    A-P

I also have a FX5500 (256mb)

Works fairly well except in some cases if your computer lags elsewhere then it might not as well... as you might not know, my mobo uses AGP 4x... so yeah ;_;
    AGP 4x will make not one bit of difference, especially with 256MB of RAM onboard, AGP transfers are only used when the onboard video RAM is full, which in your case won't happen.

The FX series aren't just bad for this game, they are bad in general, the only FX series I would even consider would be a 5900 and even then the 9800 pro would be superior.

If you need any more proof, just read Ian's posts further up where he says it lags on anything about 800x600.