Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATI vs NVIDIA

Does anyone tested the ATI Radeon Mobile Series Vs The G-Force Go Series??

I am tesing the ATI series but i dont have any nVidia Go series to test it, and thats some information i really would like to see.

I myself ATM preffer ATi because of the multimedia features. But before that I had all Nvdia cards either because the PC came with it or because it was my sister bought. But now since I made my own PC last year (built it all by myself) I wanted to try out the ATi x800. In MY personal pov, ATi is more quality and less speed while Nvidia is more speed for less quality. But honestly, things have probably changed greatly since that time where I had two cards of the same generation on diff computers playing the same games. Nvidia's SLI setup seems very interesting, but after my mother buying me an ATi X800 Pro last year in August, I don't plan on getting anything new yet (Will probably like to buy it myself when I finish college and get a job).

My ATI x800 Pro has done a great job with everything I throw at it O_o I play Doom 3 in High qual with no slowdowns, plus anti aliasing enabled. Half life 2 plays more than perfectly, with AA and AF all on max X_x PSO plays perfectly too, with max AA AF, same for Unreal 2k4. I wonder how long this will last though XD Also, the ATi overdrive (overclocking) works real well and I already have it clocked higher than the XL >_> with manufacturer fan too lol But I guess the ATI can't take all the credit, I also have a Athlon 64 2.4 GHz >_> I must admit Cool & Quiet feature is quite nice ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2005-08-07 15:27 ]</font>
    From PSO Ep 1-4 to PSU, PS0, PSP 1-2, and now PSO2... it's been a long journey.

On 2005-08-06 19:54, Luis wrote:
    can you tell me the price of that eMachine even with the tax??, sounds very cheap
    Well, it depends who you buy it through, but through eMachines it is $599. Mind you, that is no monitor, but since I assume you already have a good monitor you can save that money for the PCI-E video card. That prices is after a $50 rebate just for the FIY.

Also, it seems I had the product number wrong, it is the 6520. Click HERE for the main specs. Really, all that would be needed to max it out is a decent video card and sound card. Using onboard always lowers your benchmarks by a very noticable ammount. I've just been very pleased with the support and overall functionality of the system, even if mine is the model lower.

For those really picky about components, the Mother Board is ATI, the memory is Samsung, and the HDD is Hitachi. And, that newer model somes with XP Media Center Edition, compared to the XP Home that came with mine.

On 2005-08-07 15:25, Rubesahl wrote:
    In MY personal pov, ATi is more quality and less speed while Nvidia is more speed for less quality.
    I think the big difference lies in the specialties of each company. nVidia doesn't specialize in producing complete video cards. nVidia specializes in producing high-end video card chipsets-- 3D graphics accellerators in particular --which they will then provide to smaller manufacturers to include in their cards. ATI, on the other hand, does specialize in producing complete video cards, and they have a habit of trying to stuff as many features into an individual card as they can manage. The All-In-Wonder series is a testement to that. As a result, perhaps their 3D accellerators aren't as specialized, and therefore, they may perhaps be a little slower.

The extensive support for features unrelated to 3D accelleration still makes an ATI card a very good buy, however. It is important to note that nVidia makes chipsets for Gaming machines, while ATI makes video cards for Multimedia machines. The major feature for most of ATI's cards isn't so much the 3D accellerator, as much as the video accellerator. ATI cards are designed to contribute to making your computer the entertainment center of your home. It's your DVR, your DVD player, your TV, your video editting device, and so on. That's what ATI does, and they do it quite well.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

sound designer & break time participant

I would have to add, I don't own a "gaming" card anymore, but if I had to pick a workstation card, I would easily pick nvidia at this point.

There are a lot of strange artifacts and glitches I get using my FireGL card, and it seems with at least half of the 3d suites available, that FireGL with other users, have experienced the same thing as I am.

Now, I'd love to just take back my purchase of the card and get a quadro fx 3000..... one problem though, "they are $1500.00".....

Which leaves me stuck until I both build a new system (no pci-e currently), and get my moneys worth with my current card. I can still do my work, but i'm not really too happy about trying to model when vertices dissapear when I try and grab them.

I understand that this was sort of 1/2 on topic, but oh well, just had to point it out.

On 2005-08-07 08:27, VioletSkye wrote:
    The 7800 SLI setup beats ATI hands down and with more effects and a higher level of AA turned on As you read through the article pay close attention to the PLAYABLE SETTINGS. In areas where it looks like the ATI card may have a slight advantage you'll notice its running at lower playable settings as well.

HARDOCP REVIEW

GURU 3D REVIEW

You can also check the benchmarks at Tom's Hardware.

BENCHMARKS

The only reason I bring this up is because there was a time when ATI had slight advantages in some areas of rendering, but that is no longer the case. If you look at HD performance even you'll see that the 7800 SLI outperforms the radeon cards in that area also.

But like I said earlier, once we start seeing some Crossfire benchmarks and testing, I think the ATI setup may have the advantage. The ATI cards are great and if you have one, then you should be very happy about the level of performance it offers. In some of the Tom's Hardware tests, it outperformed the SLI setup (slightly) which is impressive. As soon as I'm able I want to setup a Crossfire rig and do some testing of my own.

And to HUnewearl_Meira, check out the AMD Opteron. It easily goes head to head with Intel in the multiprocessor arena and in many instances it outperforms Intel. Not to mention you get the performance and security of true 64 bit processing. For more on that check out TOM'S HARDWARE - Duel of the Titans: Opteron vs. Xeon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-08-07 09:31 ]</font>
    Comparing the 7800's to ATI's last gen cards is hardly fair. Wait till ATI's next gen card is out(which should be the end of this month) and then compare the 2.

Also with the X2's AMD easily equals and beats Intel in just about everything, while having a nice lead in games. The 4400+ is the best processor I've owned to date, now just waiting for ATI's next card to pair with it.

The main thing I like about ATI is the regular driver updates, once a month they releasing a WHQLed driver, which is a hell of a lot better than the massive amounts of beta releases that get leaked from nvidia that seem to break more than they fix.