Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RemiusTA View Post
    Well TECHNICALLY its the Xbox360 players that run the american version, and the PS2 that runs the Japanese version.

In all truth, they need to spend some money and find a way to get Harddrive support for the PS2, or they can Hang up PSU ever evolving past the bullshit pile of wasted potental that it is today.

PSU almost REQUIRES a Harddrive. Every MMORPG on EARTH requires a harddrive.Its pathetic that they went from the method of running PSOBB to the method of running PSU they way they do now.

PSOBB got downloaded patches and content with new weapons and entire game systems, the addition of Teams and shit. Fuck, the Clan system in PSOBB even allowed the leader to get a special weapon.

And then PSU comes, and they decide to go with this bullshit fucked up system of unlocking shit off the disc.

What the fuck. Seriously.

Although we cant blame the PS2 on this entirely. This could just be the plan they had for this game to avoid having to spend money on it past development and server maintenance.

1) Build the game
    2) Pretend like you put a years worth of gameplay content on the disc
    3) Make a subscription service
    4) ????
    5) Profit

Imagine if PSU used the system that PSOBB did.

We would have ALL the missions, ALL the storymode, ALL the drops, ALL the party missions, PSO stages, 15* weapons, bosses, difficulty, ect ect ect.

Then, when it was time for ST to update the game, they could actually skip months of content, and instead of them slowly unlocking shit off the disc, every two months we would get downloadable content, like NEW missions, weapons, difficulty missions...

Sega fucks everything up. I sware to god they suck at managing games.
    And, this is why PSO is better than PSU.

Case Closed.

OK, so we've apparently established all the reasons that PSU is not living up to its potential. Let me just run this by as a mini-review and make sure I understand it all...

1. Sega's upper management decided to rush the release date and we ended up with an unfinished product. In addition, it was severely underpromoted outside of Japan.

2. The hardware limitations of the PS2 (no supported hard drive) prevent the game from receiving proper updates. (The Wii has no hard drive worth mentioning, and you still can't save directly to the SD card on that system.)

3. The PC and 360 versions are bad ports of the PS2 version, again probably from the rush job. In addition, the hard drives on either system are underutilized to prevent alienating the PS2 userbase in Japan.

4. Since the 360 version was an afterthought, Sega did not take the steps necessary to link all of the servers together, or possibly they just didn't have enough political clout to make it happen.

5. The entire PSU project to this date is underfunded and undermanaged, since Sega and Sonic Team appear to be focusing more on other projects.

6. People cry when they can't afford new technology.

It would be a nice "what if" to wonder what would have happened if the PS2 version had never been announced and the game had an extra three-to-six months of development time and a bit more hype.
    Last edited by Sekani; Jun 9, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

Just be patient. They'll move to PS3 as soon as it's worth moving toward. It wasn't when they made PSU, so they made a game that can be played on the most popular console in Japan at the time. I don't think they were really worried about making the best game they could make, but rather how they could make the most money or please the most people.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

nintendoc joke needs to die right now.

Segac was funny only because it applies. Nintendoc is not a funny joke.
    Someone hasn't experienced the constant errors not allowing you to connect to certain people over wi-fi or the unreal shovelware to playable games ratio on the wii (seriously my gamecube game collection outnumbers my wii game collection even after being raided for trade ins a few times lol)

Saying that it is rarer than Segac's screw ups and the good games do tend to be really good.

Still dont get all pissy about nintendoc lol its not a big deal

Quote Originally Posted by Zantra View Post
    And, this is why PSO is better than PSU.

Case Closed.

As much as i would like to flame you for that retarded statement, i have to agree at this point.

At least PSO utulized its full potental before it died. PSU is now destined to die medicore.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Quote Originally Posted by joefro View Post
    That wasn't even the point of my post. It was to show that the PS2 is no longer selling like crazy. And its not just a one week thing. The PSP has dominated Japanese sales charts since March.

DS=1.18 million units in Japan
    PSP=1.09 million units in Japan

source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6122117.html

On topic: I don't think Sega needs to drop the PS2. I know they won't. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Phantasy Star game is on PS2(its own servers, Japan only.) There is still money to be made with the PS2. Just look at all of the great games its getting this year: Madden, Star Wars Force Unleached, Mercenaries 2, Guitar Hero 4, etc.
    Selling less than 100,000 units more is hardly dominant. It would only take the PSP 10 years to catch up to the DS. O_o

PSO2 - MAHOU MOONLIGHT MSAksion's Avatar

Currently the WII outsells the 360 and the PS3. PSU on the Wii might revive the game. Add some spice like swing the controller to slash or throw a TECH or use the WII Zapper (nAH i'd use the Nyko Perfect Shot 9mm replica) to shoot Ranger guns.

The PS3 already has the lowest audience so putting PSU on the Three is financial suicide. You want to put your game (esp a tiny one like PSU lets not kid ourselves) on the most pouplar platform.

Most popular is the PS2. Sucks but thats how it is. So the 360 and PC users get a PS2 port =/

PSO2 - Ship02 - Mahou Moonlight,90 Techer 90 Force
    Artwork by CRIMSONSKYE - Dec 2018

As much as i would like to flame you for that retarded statement, i have to agree at this point.

At least PSO utulized its full potental before it died. PSU is now destined to die medicore.
    It's not retarded, it's my opinion, and it's valid.

Even you have found the truth in my statement, and agree to it.

Plus, as far as I can recall, PSO never ever had billing problems.

SFS/Nth Gen Interactive Rayokarna's Avatar

Woah woah woah, hold up.

Keep the 'PSO is better than PSU' statement else. Im too lazy to argue against it, I like my refural free account.

In terms of PSU, all the people who don't like how it is, don't run the show...

...Japan pulls more money out of PSU than the XBox and the PS2/PC servers combined, and if most of theiir money is being pulled out from the PS2, why should they drop it...

Quote Originally Posted by Rayokarna View Post
    Woah woah woah, hold up.

Keep the 'PSO is better than PSU' statement else. Im too lazy to argue against it, I like my refural free account.

In terms of PSU, all the people who don't like how it is, don't run the show...

...Japan pulls more money out of PSU than the XBox and the PS2/PC servers combined, and if most of theiir money is being pulled out from the PS2, why should they drop it...
    They're also getting a lot of money from all of the japanese players of PSOBB.