Page 78 of 122 FirstFirst ... 28687576777879808188 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by loafhero View Post
    Honestly, I'm not looking forward to that scene at all. The way they handled the abusive relationship of Melrandia and Gettemhart was always terrible. That they somehow painted that relationship in a positive light at the very end left a sour taste for me.
    I'm not the one to defend ep 1 & 2's writing but I always had the impression that the relationship was meant to be portrayed as fucked up and we were meant to be disturbed by it.

Then the ep 3 scene with Elder and Double happened. At that point though PSO2's writing was already getting into the "if a character is popular we will show more of them and have them be awesome (and if it's a villain we pretend he did nothing wrong)" mode. It started with the second half of ep 3 (shame because the first half was actually good), took a backseat in ep 4 because it had mostly an all new cast, but is now in full power in ep 5. The plot is an excuse to provide fanservice for people who like Gettemhart, Luther or whatever other character is popular.

Quote Originally Posted by TehCubey View Post
    Then the ep 3 scene with Elder and Double happened. At that point though PSO2's writing was already getting into the "if a character is popular we will show more of them and have them be awesome (and if it's a villain we pretend he did nothing wrong)" mode.
    You know, thinking about it now, did they actually give a clear cut reason for Elder to antagonize Double other than "your evil sucks"?
    ID: MPBLPure (Ship 2er)
    Akane Tekuro -- Proud Boots main; above average main character. Exploring Omega. Lead Chip: Matoi [S Halloween]
    Rei Sawatori - Hero. Taking a breather. Lead Chip: Darker Busters [Anniversary]
    クロナアルティア (Altiea) -- A Fighter jaded by trauma. Hanging out with the Darker Busters. Lead Chip: Celebrate Heroines [Anniversary]

Quote Originally Posted by Altiea View Post
    You know, thinking about it now, did they actually give a clear cut reason for Elder to antagonize Double other than "your evil sucks"?
    It has something to do with Gettemhart being Elder's host body, who witnessed Double chomping original Melphon right in front of him 10 years prior, That kinda fueled Elder's rage against Double and put them into his top kill list. Elder didn't even really give a damn working on PD's resurrection and doesn't even want any part in it anyway, and having found out Double has been eating other Falz, Elder knew he could be next on Double's menu list and see them as obstacles trying to get in the way with his "fun".
    Last edited by Meteor Weapon; Dec 1, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
    test

My interpretation of why Elder disliked Double so much was a case of "Evil has Standards" as Double was way too evil even by Falz standards.

I'm not the one to defend ep 1 & 2's writing but I always had the impression that the relationship was meant to be portrayed as fucked up and we were meant to be disturbed by it.
    Abusive relationships are always fucked up but my issue with the portrayal Gettemhart and Melphonsina's abusive relationship is how they seem to, uh, how to put it... glorify it? Its definitely a fucked up relationship but the story never seems to acknowledge it as such. Its like the lead writer might actually have a thing for subservient women who remain unquestioningly loyal to their respective love interest at the cost of their dignity.

No character ever points out how Melrandia is in a shitty relationship, no character ever tries to point out how Melrandia isn't helping herself nor Gettemhart until it was too late, and by the end of the story, I'm pretty convinced that the story was leaning more towards victim-blaming Melrandia. To clarify, the story always brings up how Melrandia's actions in the past led to Gettemhart becoming a monster but not once has the story ever tried to suggest that Gettemhart had fault in it too.

The manga also revealed that Melrandia was a goddamn pre-schooler when the incident happened which makes the game seemingly putting blame on Melrandia instead of Gettemhart feel a lot more mean-spirited.

Quote Originally Posted by loafhero View Post
    My interpretation of why Elder disliked Double so much was a case of "Evil has Standards" as Double was way too evil even by Falz standards.

Abusive relationships are always fucked up but my issue with the portrayal Gettemhart and Melphonsina's abusive relationship is how they seem to, uh, how to put it... glorify it? Its definitely a fucked up relationship but the story never seems to acknowledge it as such. Its like the lead writer might actually have a thing for subservient women who remain unquestioningly loyal to their respective love interest at the cost of their dignity.

No character ever points out how Melrandia is in a shitty relationship, no character ever tries to point out how Melrandia isn't helping herself nor Gettemhart until it was too late, and by the end of the story, I'm pretty convinced that the story was leaning more towards victim-blaming Melrandia. To clarify, the story always brings up how Melrandia's actions in the past led to Gettemhart becoming a monster but not once has the story ever tried to suggest that Gettemhart had fault in it too.

The manga also revealed that Melrandia was a goddamn pre-schooler when the incident happened which makes the game seemingly putting blame on Melrandia instead of Gettemhart feel a lot more mean-spirited.
    This is Japan's "shame culture" leaking into its fictional media.
    PSO2 Details: Ship 02 || Sirius-91 Cast || Lacey-458 Caseal || Team: ChibiRoar!

Quote Originally Posted by Xerenia View Post
    Oh no! What am i going to do, this was my whole entire life, and now it's going to be gone. :C Guess i'll just go and troll other proxies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Be it reasonable or not, all evil doers must perish. BECAUSE ARKS IS JUSTICE!
    Name: シナンジュ
    Ship: 2
    Main Class: HERO
    "IT'S OVER, PSO2. I HAVE THE HIGH GROUND!" -MHW to PSO2

On a positive note, I'm definitely looking forward to Alma's Shop Area side story. About time they have her haunt explore around the Ship beyond the Bridge and take advantage of the fact that no one who hasn't had any connection with Xion can see her.

Well, I guess Luther will now have a reason to turn into Omega Angel later in the story
    test

Lateposting but y'all know that Elder attacked Double because Double was eating other Falzes, right? The story quest makes it abundantly clear. Of course Double is the master of *teleports behind u* so much good did it do.

I think I enjoyed the side story content more than the main story update (it had Stratos in it dammit so the main story didn't stand a chance). The latest main story update had pretty great action and Alis was a badass Bouncer but I still find myself not caring too much for the Cuent crew to be concerned enough for whatever bad things happen to them.

I'm hoping they continue the use of really difficult post-story bonus bosses that started with EP4 by having Alis as EP5's bonus boss. I still don't like her "armor" but the Story has at least done good in depicting her as a very capable fighter.

Lateposting but y'all know that Elder attacked Double because Double was eating other Falzes, right? The story quest makes it abundantly clear. Of course Double is the master of *teleports behind u* so much good did it do.
    I know that but Elder's post-raid cutscene from EP1 has him saying that he's always never liked Double. Double nothing-personnel-kid-ing the other Falzes just seems to have given Elder a practical reason to kill those little shits without being seen as the "traitor" in the conflict.