Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sonic 4 Contest "Rules" and how Users followed them

I'm posting this before semi-finalists get announced so it doesn't seem like a bitter loser.

Anyway, I submitted a video for the Sonic competition. I strived to follow all rules to a T regarding the competition. So, I look at some of the videos that I am/have competed against, and it disgusts me.

From the official rules here:

Your Video Submission: (a) must be totally original, not have been previously published or appear anywhere else and CANNOT contain any third party copyrighted or proprietary material (including but not limited to music, voices or artwork) or otherwise infringe on the intellectual, property or other rights of a third party;

Am I wrong with interpreting this rule as that you cannot use images, media, or anything of Sonic the Hedgehog unless you created it yourself? E.g., all of the people who used "Sonic the Hedgehog" music sountrack for their games would be disqualified because it infringes on the rights of a 3rd party, e.g. Sega? I'm going off of the assumption that "first party" includes yourself and "third party" is everyone else.

I'm stating this because the rules don't state that you can use Sonic music, unless it was clarified elsewhere on a forum post or something. Because the official rules state that you can only use the Sega logo, but not the sound clips ("Sega!" or the SEGA scream). Even if you weren't infringing on Sega's copyright - and they could be indeed included as a first party with your submission - you'd still get disqualified.

Because the ever witty-and-nifty concept of you playing the theme song to "Emerald Beach" over your video ignores the fact that it WAS ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED 11 YEARS AGO. You're violating the "not been previously published line" of the rule I mentioned above.

Now, there could be caveats to this rule. By my own definition, I could be disqualified for briefly showing me reading a Sonic the Hedgehog comic book for no more than 5 seconds. However, there are differences between copyright law for images and audio.

*Audio you can use only for fair-use for no more than 30 seconds. And it has to be for educational use. The exception to this rule (and it took the courts to decide this) is that if the audio was a part of your original recording by coincidence versus added during post-production.

For instance, if you film your child blowing out his birthday cake and "Oops I did it again" plays on the radio, and you post the video on YouTube, you're in the clear. However, if you purposely played "Ooops I did it again" with intent to record it as part of your video - or you added it in post-production - you're not in the clear. You need to license it then.

*Much like audio, video and images you can use typically as long as they're at a quality low-enough to where another person couldn't make facimilies out of them for their own personal gain or use. The whole "30 second maximum" applies to situations where the video and it's content is currently the primary focus.

E.g., my comic book in my submission. You can tell that it's a Sonic comic book. You can see blurry images of Sonic. However, you the viewer cannot use the image in any meaningful way. As in, you cannot read, understand, or reproduce the page on your own accord. It's too low-quality for you to sit there and read the speech bubbles or to gain context of what is occuring. And because of that, I am within fair-use rights and am not violating copyright at all.

NOTE:And yes, I technically broke the rules according to my own definition as the comic book was published prior. Which is why "context" and "usage" is so important when it comes to copyright law as well.

----

I guess my primary focus of this rant is that people are stupid and didn't get the official rules and guidelines, and focus of the contest. My rage is fueled at the fact that your submissions were supposed to be original and user-created. Sure, there might be arguments about whether or not parading around as Sonic the Hedgehog around town is considered "original", but if you created the costume yourself, it's 100% percent your own.

But buying a Sonic suit, using Sonic music, ripping out "official" Sonic graphics - without making your own user-created facimile of it first - and parading around with cutouts of it or pasting it into your video - to me defeats the whole purpose of the competition.

Who am I to say what SEGA - or the company running the competition - is looking for. But if I was a judge, I'd certainly take a hell-of-a-lot more stock in a little kid's video of her making and displaying an old-school "turn the pages" flipbook and watch a simple hand-drawn animation of Sonic running then watch fully-grown jackasses fooling around in Sonic costumes they purchased while jamming out to the soundtrack they stole from a game.

To me, the contest was to be original and user-created, not to see who does the best job of stealing assets from Sonic games and reassembling them into the most derivative piece of work.

I put 30-to-40+ hours into my five minute video dammit. And besides the short passing clip of me reading a Sonic comic book, my video contains no externally created Sonic references. I'll more than likely lose, but it better be to someone more worthwhile then me, and not just a bunch of asshats.

/end rant

EDIT: Multiple edits featuring small grammar issues.
    EDIT: I'm a copyright junkie. I have done video editing before, and I've paid more attention to copyright law than your average consumer/citizen. Hence, I make a big deal out of it. Which is why my video is copyright-issue free dammit.
    Last edited by anwserman; Jul 14, 2010 at 07:48 AM.

This really happens all the time. Rarely does these kind of contests reward people for truly original work. Seems you're less likely if you spend weeks working on all kinds of original stuff than someone who came in and took a few hours with a bunch of pre-made samples and clips and arranged them funny.

I learned a few lessons, from some of those. I had to take a step back, figure out that perhaps some project which is simple and fun wins over something else if it looks like it could be the next internet meme.

Music is the worst, though. They get treated horribly in competitions. Nobody ever seems to understand how much effort it really takes to make the stuff. People look at something an artist does in a day and says "Woah! That's pretty awesome stuff. That had to be a lot of WORK!" Yet, you put together something that takes as much dedication and work to start from scratch, write, compose, perform for just 1 instrument in a multi-instrumental piece, by yourself. Piece by piece. Something that could take a great deal longer, even if you're fast. You'd be lucky to get any comments on it. Maybe a (cool deal) here and there. When it comes to contests, you'll always lose out to a simple video made with stolen clips or stick-figure drawings, even if your original piece is like the next John Williams movie theme.

Thus is the world of pop-culture. They don't want expert shows of talent first. They want funny or crazy first and copyright be darned. I think the issue here is that they put contest rules saying that none of these materials should be used; yet so many folks will enter that stuff because those are usually what people are used to seeing win. Yeah, it breaks rules. I also wish people adhered to the rules, but I found out that they really don't, nor is it ever disencouraged. Time after time, the results actually encourage that stuff.

Yes, John Williams is awesome, but he's also really lucky to have Steven Spielburg. Without him, John probably would hardly have been noticed.
    Last edited by Akaimizu; Jul 14, 2010 at 09:46 AM.

Well, like I said it comes down to how the "Rules" of this competition are enforced. And you're correct, often times it comes down to who makes the "coolest" video even though it might not "be original".

But the fans do vote on the final 10, so maybe just maybe they'll be some redeeming factor in it.

Yikes. That's usually what makes it worse. Fans that vote on the final 10. That's usually a sure fire sign that the quirky yet unoriginal one gets the nod. It's actually better when the final vote is internal.

I guess it depends on the subject matter. I've seen online voting contests in which the votes actually go to the people who deserve it.

Did you submit a video btw?

EDIT: I wonder if they sent out emails to the individuals stating that they're semi-finalists yet, or if they're waiting until the website gets updated to send that stuff out.
    Last edited by anwserman; Jul 14, 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Not to this one. I've done other submissions before, though.

Well looking at the statistics from my video, it got two views from sonicthehedgehog4.com
    Hahaha

:P

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anwserman View Post
    Well looking at the statistics from my video, it got two views from sonicthehedgehog4.com
    Hahaha

:P
    GG.

I don't know how to do that. Nor am I willing to try and asplode youtube for me again in endless loop non-loading.

At last second I struggled to throw in those music clips, yes previously copyrighted, on the chance they are allowing SEGA assets. Nobody else is thinking beyond Sonic, so I hope it stands out. As well, if I didn't do it quickly, it would have been no sound but the interview. Took a chance. As well some don't know the composers/artists/music producers by name, but I knew these and if spelling wrong - go use the internet and look them up!

Missed some crowd shots in that plaza off BART where 100+ people were watching the street dance team.

Wanted to do "Sonic ~ its your birth ~ day" like the Michael Jackson "impersonator" Simpson's style, especially with some kinda thing going on where he may have done Sonic music (or people think its similar oddly too similar - and didn't want credit - put a fake name for the "big white guy" on Simpsons. Wikis are useful but not to the point of all copyrights, and MJ wanted to joke to his brothers if they thought it was him, when he knew it was.

Ruby made a quick response to that one about if the estate comes after, it could be edited out per their wishes, legalese : no sue please.

Oh and I did use official art assets, but cut them up, flyer underground style, if any TM and R trademarks were on them, I kept, even if small sized as is and incognito:

But the fan art during some animations are super hot original-lotsa work put in to be done well, like yours in 2 different styles.

Quote Originally Posted by HAYABUSA-FMW- View Post
    GG.

I don't know how to do that. Nor am I willing to try and asplode youtube for me again in endless loop non-loading.

At last second I struggled to throw in those music clips, yes previously copyrighted, on the chance they are allowing SEGA assets. Nobody else is thinking beyond Sonic, so I hope it stands out. As well, if I didn't do it quickly, it would have been no sound but the interview. Took a chance. As well some don't know the composers/artists/music producers by name, but I knew these and if spelling wrong - go use the internet and look them up!

Missed some crowd shots in that plaza off BART where 100+ people were watching the street dance team.

Wanted to do "Sonic ~ its your birth ~ day" like the Michael Jackson "impersonator" Simpson's style, especially with some kinda thing going on where he may have done Sonic music (or people think its similar oddly too similar - and didn't want credit - put a fake name for the "big white guy" on Simpsons. Wikis are useful but not to the point of all copyrights, and MJ wanted to joke to his brothers if they thought it was him, when he knew it was.

Ruby made a quick response to that one about if the estate comes after, it could be edited out per their wishes, legalese : no sue please.

Oh and I did use official art assets, but cut them up, flyer underground style, if any TM and R trademarks were on them, I kept, even if small sized as is and incognito:

But the fan art during some animations are super hot original-lotsa work put in to be done well, like yours in 2 different styles.
    It boils down to skill-level and time dedicated to the project. That being said, it all comes down to individual skill of the person creating the video project.

And i'm not intentionally trying to diss your entry or anyone elses - because on the mere fact that Sega might allow usage of it's intellectual properties. And the fact that you went to SoA HQ and meet and mingled with some of the SEGA employees - thats freaking great in my mind.

Oh, you had YouTube troubles too? It took me 1.5 hours to upload my video. I started uploading at 8:50AM PST - with the deadline being 9AM PST - and submitted my entry with a video URL that wasn't working. That's right, I submitted my entry with what the URL would be assuming the video would finish uploading correctly. It did 1.5 hours later.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anwserman View Post
    It boils down to skill-level and time dedicated to the project. That being said, it all comes down to individual skill of the person creating the video project.

And i'm not intentionally trying to diss your entry or anyone elses - because on the mere fact that Sega might allow usage of it's intellectual properties. And the fact that you went to SoA HQ and meet and mingled with some of the SEGA employees - thats freaking great in my mind.
    We both wanted to make sure, "no unfair advantage" which asking an employee to help sing would have been one I found out. As well as last second as it was, they definitely would have enjoyed or approved more fans showing up, as I tried to pull together anybody willing, that wasn't already home working on their submissions and could possibly make it.

Oh, you had YouTube troubles too? It took me 1.5 hours to upload my video. I started uploading at 8:50AM PST - with the deadline being 9AM PST - and submitted my entry with a video URL that wasn't working. That's right, I submitted my entry with what the URL would be assuming the video would finish uploading correctly. It did 1.5 hours later.
    Yeah, that's what the guy next to me was trying to convey to me. At the time. I could not fathom his "tiny url - no go make another g-mail and open 2 entry fields" It was a hectic try to do all that as the movie progress bar to finish wasn't going to be done by 9:00 am but slightly after then at least when the upload to youtube one went - they gave the potential URL in the end I believe to throw into the comment field URL of your video - on the contest submit page.

Others seemed to have bigger problems throughout the Sega Blog and Official sticky topic, I do hope they got theirs fixed.

Specifically a question was asked as well about using Sega/Sonic music okay? They may have gotten a PM from staff or it may have just been glossed over or lost in the fold of the posts in that one.

Catchy tunes heard in plenty of other places that wasn't official music, but couldn't get the credits to some and where it came from. (Sonic Dreamin' Thumbs up one with its 750 views!)