Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Review on IGN

I think 8 is just about right. No disagreements with their score from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Magician View Post
    I agree PSP2 is great, but I wouldn't list it in my top twenty "best" PSP games, honestly.
    I'm not really sure I even know 20 psp games...

What a horrible person I am!

I am officially Samurai X just for that off chance you happen to run into me online!
    The yellow and blue cast, back from PSO!

Nice review. I think the 8.0 is justified. Even though it's on the PSP, this is still the most polished and refined Phantasy Star game to date.
    PSO2
    Mikura: Female Human - Hunter 40/Ranger 29
    Lilith: Female Newman - Force 4
    Ship 2: Block 42

Personal blog: http://theslackerslounge.blogspot.com/

Yasminkov Fanboy Waki Miko Syamemaru!'s Avatar

Wow I'm surprised. Usually IGN has a hard on over games like Halo, God of War, and Gears of War. Games like PSP2 I woulda thought would have gotten like...I 'unno a 6.5 because its not mainstream. Maybe they got someone with some sense.

In essense I hate IGN so freakin much. Even if they gave this a good score they're all still big morons.

lol to this ^
    but i was really expecting them to give it like a 6.0 or 7.0. 8.0 is pretty good. hopefully thatll motivate some people to go out and buy it.

Well 8 is about right, I must say ? I gave up on the universe series until my friend bought psp2. He started telling me it was pretty good and was going back (well on a couple points) to what was pso. Decided to give it a try. I must say I'm surprised!

But that's only my opinion =)

The score is one thing, which I think is fair. My comments is based on the content of the review. This one goes in depth with the features of the game, which is something I felt quite a few reviews (these days) really skip out on. This allows the reader to see those features listed, for themselves, and decide whether the game is right for them.

For a while, even Cladun got more respect, because some reviewers started to talk in depth about the features of the game, and what kind of stuff you do in it. Regardless of the score, on that title, it wet my appetite because some of those features sound good to me.

This reviewer started to talk about the nuances of character development, in PSP2. A major feature-set that is definitely worth mentioning, whether they played previous Phantasy Star Online games before or not. If you can't explain on that level, you can't explain what makes one dungeon hacker different from another. So your review otherwise turns into a "I like it. I don't like it." review, with almost no meat to back it up. That is, unless the game has serious general gameplay control issues bringing it down from others on the same system and hindering any ability to get to the meat of it.

Back in the heyday, we could see quite a few good reviews from certain mags. And the big thing that made them good was the content speaking on points of the game.

Angry Oldschool PSO vet. MadDogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akaimizu View Post
    This reviewer started to talk about the nuances of character development, in PSP2. A major feature-set that is definitely worth mentioning, whether they played previous Phantasy Star Online games before or not. If you can't explain on that level, you can't explain what makes one dungeon hacker different from another. So your review otherwise turns into a "I like it. I don't like it." review, with almost no meat to back it up. That is, unless the game has serious general gameplay control issues bringing it down from others on the same system and hindering any ability to get to the meat of it.

Back in the heyday, we could see quite a few good reviews from certain mags. And the big thing that made them good was the content speaking on points of the game.
    So true. I actually used to like Game Pro reviews (back during the SNES/genesis era lol), it just felt like there was no such thing as mainstream game scoring a.k.a. perfect 10 for grand theft auto 4 only because it was getting extremely hyped when the game itself was glitchy as hell, or getting that feeling that the reviewer got paid off or persuaded by "swag" for a good score a.k.a. eidos and the whole kane and lynch incident. And since there was none of that mainstream bull back then, the reviewers used to talk about nothing but the game instead of minor crap.

I think reviews these days would get a lot better of the reviewer was actually a fan of that genre that they are reviewing. Like, you can tell a hardcore FPS fan just reviewed a JRPG when infinite undiscovery got a higher score than Tales of Vesperia (this happened in game informer), when any JRPG fan that knows what he is talking about would tell you there is no way in hell that should have happened lol.
    (X360)Alkaid, Tear, Pudd'n, Mad Dogg retired from 360 PSU for good
    PSP2: Alkaid, lvl 42 beast hunter. "Its my duty to please that booty".

Reviews are always opinion based, something to remember when you see your favorite game get a 2 when you give it a 10.

I agree with the review, and would be curious to see the same individual do a review after they have reached 100 and then 200.

Personally, I will list this at my #1 PSP game with #2 being Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, and #3 being Monster Hunter. Now I do need to say I've spent maybe 10 hours into MH, so who knows where it would be after say, 50...
    Playing as Keahi on Phantasy Star Portable 2 - US Version.

Yasminkov Fanboy Waki Miko Syamemaru!'s Avatar

I remember one guy from IGN was playin a demo of Blazblue: Continuum Shift and he said "Eh, I'm not a huge fan of fighting games." and everyone kinda laughed it off. I was like "Dude, why are you even playin it then?".

On another note I'm gonna need to update myl Series-1 PSP to like a Series-3 PSP. Everything is gettin weird.