Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default All about PSEs and Bursts

This is my first guide I've written and posted somewhere. I'm not an expert, but I have noticed a lot of explanations are only getting part of this right, then horribly messing up everything else (including the Japanese wiki surprisingly enough).

NOTE 15JUL2014: I have resumed playing the Japanese version and started playing the SEA En version of this game. I will be correcting information in the next week or so with what I am relearning from the SEA version, which seems to have better explanations than the english/jp translation last i paid attention. Also, thank you for adding this guide to the sticky.

Please Note: If you wish to comment on something, I'm expecting you to have read the ENTIRE statement regarding the something you're commenting on. For example, In the section where I've described a reward given by a Challenge ("Title"), I expect you to read and understand what Nothing Equipped means before commenting. I also expect you to read the disclaimer, and pay attention to the dates in the Recent Changes section. Information is usually valid up to the last date listed there, EVEN IF the "Post Last updated on:" date is newer. If it's not, I will explain why.
    Finally, Please read the Help Needed section.

Here is what I KNOW right now:
    ============================================
    Spoiler!

What I'm unsure of
    Spoiler!

MISC
    Spoiler!

Back on topic of PSEs, I'll add more info when I figure it out. If you have theories on something let me know, I'll test it and then add it to this post, or notify you if it doesn't work that way.

Aside from playing games, I'm also a programmer with sights set on game development, so I might not even have to test it. I'm also learning Japanese, and this game is helping a lot.

DISCLAIMER

Spoiler!

SPECIAL THANKS
    Spoiler!

Recent Changes:
    Spoiler!

Planned changes:
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by SirGouki; Jul 15, 2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: announce upcoming changes.

I suspect that raising the PSE levels are related to the classic timed combo attacks.
    Unlike PSO, you can technically make a infinite chain, by using a weaker weapon. I have no proof for it, but if someone wants to give it a go, we will find out. Best weapon to try it out is probably a gunslash, because it is easier to time the attacks with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsatian View Post
    I suspect that raising the PSE levels are related to the classic timed combo attacks.
    Unlike PSO, you can technically make a infinite chain, by using a weaker weapon. I have no proof for it, but if someone wants to give it a go, we will find out. Best weapon to try it out is probably a gunslash, because it is easier to time the attacks with it.
    It's more about killing enemies faster, this much I know. The only way I could see this affecting it would be if you were comparing Just Attacks with just holding the button down. On a slower weapon, Just Attacks will kill faster than just holding the button down, but on a faster weapon I can see the opposite happening. Anything that causes you to kill faster WILL cause you to burst faster. Also yes, if timed right, almost every single weapon can do an infinite chain.

As a side note, when I first started this game, I thought that killing enemies with a regular attack would grant Lightning PSEs while killing them with a PA granted Ice ones. These kinds of things DO have an impact on what triggers, as ice seems to trigger more often when using a Photon Art, regardless of the weapon element/Spell. I just haven't figured out to what extent. I am 100% sure that the monsters element does have an impact on this though, if not its the family. Evidence for it being monster family based can be seen with dagans and breeadas. I have only ever gotten red off of these types, unless I use a photon art, then it has either been red, yellow, or blue, even if the weapon was non-elemental.
    Last edited by SirGouki; Jul 11, 2012 at 06:25 PM.

It seems people are not finding this useful.

I found this a good read. Still very confusing to try piecing everything togdther here. Thanks though, this helps.

Fizz Gaming Stream - Xbox360/PC [Click Here]
    My Portfolio [Click Here]
    Core i7 920 @ 3Ghz
    EVGA GTX 670FTW
    3x4 12GB DDR3 @ 2000Mhz

It's going to be for a while. There seems to be a lot of small things that have an effect on what PSE element is triggered. I'm starting to think (and this is the original reason for my posting this info) that it's going to be too much for me to do alone, with just myself and my brother playing.
    Last edited by SirGouki; Aug 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM.

this is a good thread and i like the info posted. learned some new stuff, a good amount i knew already though.

you could clean it up with the usage of spoiler boxes though, that's fosho.

learning about bursts is nice, but what everybody REALLY wants to know is how to activate them. it's generally no problem keeping them going when they come on, but the problem is activating them.

i understand how, it's just frustrating when there aren't enough mobs.

i'm pretty sure if i had a hive mind of 12 players i could get pse bursts non stop, but a lot of players are sheep and they won't go anywhere unless one person takes the lead, and sometimes two people will take lead so the group gets divided.

the biggest problem is that if the group is divided, not only do less mobs spawn, but areas that should spawn may not spawn, if someone was already there a few moments ago.

the main way to get pse bursts is:
    1. have a leader that everybody follows no matter what
    2. abuse spawn locations that are close together.
    3. don't waste time breaking boxes/picking up items that you'd have to backtrack to get
    4. only take "item pick up breaks" after a burst

pse lvl 7 is extremely sensitive and that's usually when groups fail to burst. it fades in like 20 seconds or so, and players end up dillydallying and breaking boxes, etc.

i would say definitely one of the biggest burst killers are when people go the extra 20 paces or so just to break open a box and get generally nothing important. but they do it anyway.

they don't realize that getting bursts requires constant mob killing asap.

i really really REALLY fucking wish you could burst solo but you can't. it's so gay.

i feel like the burst system is good and bad, but for the most part just annoying. when there's no burst and you're soloing you literally get like ZERO mobs. maybe one or two and the occasional group of 3. even with two human players you don't get that many, or a full group. it's so stupid.

back on the regular pso even when you solod the same amount of mobs spawned. it was nice. i think it should be possible to burst solo if you were dutiful enough and put forth your best effort. but it's impossible.

------------------

btw a really good tip for maintaining bursts is to zoom your minimap so you can see mobs easier. when bursts occur they get so hectic i generally can't see anything, so i rely on the minimap a lot to find and kill monsters as fast as possible.
    Last edited by soulpimpwizzurd; Jul 20, 2012 at 03:43 AM.
    ラブ、アンド、ピース。
    -everything i type is completely serious and you should be offended no matter the content jaja-
    translated pre-OB skill trees link
    Ma name's Satoshi Sakai and I sell My room and My room accessories! Uh huh huh!

The biggest problem is that the big map sucks ass and doesn't show other players, would be also nice if the different drops had different colours, or at least red for the 7-9* stuff.

Kagajibaris are Dezorians Omega-z's Avatar

Just had a thought in re-guards to element's when you get the Bar boosted one's in the area for element's show up, using the same element may help to boost your PSE alot when I had a wind one show up I switched to one I had and started to wrack thing's with it and got PSE with 3 more in a row with out getting to Lv.8 with any off them. I skipped the first block for the most part and kill around 30 darker's since it was the Dagan mish in the forest and about four waves of other forest one's so was a 2-4 lv. range. But it was pretty quick after switching killed like 10 foe's then got a PSE and killed 5-10 more got another did the same got another and then one more after that it was full minute one's too had 4 min's of this and was doing it Solo? is it possible or was I just super lucky that time?

Quote Originally Posted by SirGouki View Post
    MISC
    ========================
    * Some challenges award you with permanent PP. I don't know which ones, and if you remake that character (or make a new character in a character slot) you cannot get this for that character since it saves to the account. My character currently has 102 pp with no equipment on. To get rewards from challenges, talk to the NPC to the left of the Class Change NPC. Orange names are challenges you've completed, and white names are ones you've taken the reward for. Right now, there are 5 pages. I don't know what the requirements for any of these are, but they work exactly like achievements, and seem to be just like challenges in Phantasy Star Portable.
    Would really like some confirmation on this, I've recently switched ships and made a new character on the same account. I played the old character a lot and would like to have not unlocked something that's non-transferable to my new character for whatever reason.

I searched as much as I could, and found that what you're referring to here is Titles, but most threads about titles have said that they're entirely item rewards, such as grinders, photon drops or synthesizers, none have mentioned anything regarding permanent PP increases.