I played in a tourney yesterday on that stage with the rocks. The first two rounds went fine, Hunter vs. Hunter. But in the finals, I played against an Arkz and was totally owned.

I couldn't figure out what to do! He surrounded me on his first move with some wierd mine creature and I rolled a whole 2... But even after that, every time I killed a creature, he replaced it. It took me forever to somehow squeese my way inbetween the rocks where the guy was in shotgun range, but then he just ran to the other side out of reach again! Needless to say, time ran out. Do Hunters stand much of a chance against Arkz on this stage?

(O - spaces, X - rocks, # - player start)

1OOOO
    OOOOO
    XOXOX
    OOOOO
    OOOO2

GO TO HELL C:

Hmmm... when i play as Arkz here i always win so it would seem so

First of all, this is just a suggestion on a possible strategy when faced in this situation. It is not failproof, and, as always, negotiable depending on your dice rolls.

Ok, let's say you are number 2 and are a Hunter, and the number 1 is the Arkz. If you go first, try and cover the distance necessary to reaching the Arkz side before equipping items. If you really have to equip something try and keep it low cost so you can move as soon a possible.

3 Movement

1OOOO
    OOOOO
    XOXOX
    OO2OO
    OO^-2

2 Movement

1OOOO
    OOOOO
    XOXOX
    OOO2O
    OO0^2

As far as I've seen, the Arkz character itself will almost always sit in the corner until it's too late.
    If they use low cost creatures early, they will be able to set it near you and most likely attack, but considering they will most likely do minimal damage, it should be easy EX. Don't be hesitant to use your turns destroying enemies as quickly as possible. The Dice Roll bonuses resulting from the EX will put you at an advantage. Try your best to keep your equipment from being destroyed. The more EX the Arkz opponent has, the more likely they will be able to set new creatures.

With 3 movement (first diagram), you don't want to move in as far as you can on the right side, as tempting as it is. It will just make it easier to block you off. If you follow the first diagram, it makes it harder for the single Arkz character to block both paths, let alone with high cost creatures.

With 2 movement (second diagram), you pose a threat on invading the right path. This will more that likely cause the Arkz character to set a creature along here. Depending on the cost, it may be best to avoid it. Remember that moving creatures costs the Arkz ATK as well. If they set a sentient creature (Poison Lily, for example), just ignore it and try the other path. It may not be much, but the few cost slots some of the creatures take up can help you in the end.

M = Creature (for ease of viewing)

1OOOO
    OOOMO
    XOX2X
    OOOOO
    OOOOO

1OOOO
    OMOOO
    X2XOX
    OOOOO
    OOOOO

Ranger/Force Possibility

O1OOO
    OOOOO
    XOXOX
    2MOOO
    OOOOO

Depending on the situation, you will more that likely be in one of these scenarios for a great deal of the total match time. The Arkz character will more than likely play creatures until time runs out right in front of you, blocking you out. In the Ranger/Force Possibility diagram, you can attempt to take pot shots at the Arkz character using either a rifle or foie (or long arm/snipe). The only downside to this is that it usually results in a one hit attempt that can be easily blocked. If the Arkz plays their creatures right in this situation, you get the diagram, in which it's very difficult to hit the Arkz story character, and also makes it harder to actually catch up to him/her. Just try to stick to close quarters. Kill the creatures as quickly as possible to build your EX.

Something to keep in mind. If I'm not mistaken, the rules set for the type of tournament with this map (if you are playing a tournament) only allows one time through the deck. Keep this in mind. Try to discard cards only when necessary. Continually taking out the creatures not only builds your EX gauge, but also drains the Arkz's deck.

1OOOO
    OMOOO
    X2XOX
    OOOOO
    OOOOO

This may not look like it, but this is a potentially dangerous position for the Arkz character. If the creature is continually getting destroyed, the Arkz character has to continually set another one back up.
    Depending on how much EX they have, they will eventually get a bad roll with no creature out, a hand with no creature, or a hand with only high cost creatures. At this point they are basically trapped.
    High cost creatures can usually only be played on their back row. If they are barely getting by on their summon, they won't be able to move. Even if you have hardly any items equipped and roll a 1, move in. In this situation it's often better risking a hit to your story character and getting within attack range than it is hanging back and waiting for them to refill the gap.

1MOOO
    O2OOO
    XOXOX
    OOOOO
    OOOOO

1MOOO
    2OOOO
    XOXOX
    OOOOO
    OOOOO

At this point, you are most likely low on HP or low on time. Take out the Arkz character! Depending on the situation, you may want to take some extra time and destroy any remaining creatures that may get in the way or have the potential to inflict damage on you.

Early on, if the Arkz character attempts to move down the other path as you cross, intercept them. Get between the rocks and shoot them or use a sword/partisan and catch them at either end. Remember, even if they flee to the opposite side (your side), the distance they can set creatures is still based on their side. If anything, it's more advantageous to you for the Arkz to be on your starting side of the map.

Remember to adopt your own strategy as needed!

As with the toruney rules (if I recall correctly), you're deck will not cycle. Use cards that will cause the your opponent to discard their hand or cards. And watch out for Rappies in the endgame! If worst comes to worst, try and ignore the rappies near the end of the deck. They can drain your hp and/or defense cards left in your deck, and can come back right away if that's all your opponent has left.

Keep in mind I'm fairly new myself, so there are no doubt much better strategies for this sort of situation. Good luck

Decks do loop in tournys, so you dont really need to worry about tossing your hand every turn if you want to.

On 2004-03-13 12:54, kitsuneko wrote:
    Decks do loop in tournys, so you dont really need to worry about tossing your hand every turn if you want to.
    I've run across tourney rules where the deck does in fact run out. It only seemed to occur on the rock stage mentioned above, though.

EDIT- Typo.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-03-14 23:28 ]</font>

Wow, nice. You give a few good ideas, thanks. No matter what though it does seem that no matter what you try, you need some good luck on your side

I played in a tourney that wasn't on that rock stage and had deck loop turned off... I dont recall if the rock stage I was on had it on or not.

(Sigh... I should really visit this more often so I stop playing at times there are server maintances.)

A good thing about that stage is that is very little. Moving only one up you already reach last line with rifle range. Some weapons like Yasminkov 9000M, Power Maser, Burning Visit, etc. can hit the 3rd line regardless if there are enemies in middle or not. Also you will keep getting cards that help against this like Fly, Stamina, Immortality, etc.
    If you have none of those you could put Skip Draw. I think it was 1st or 2nd assist I got. That way he wont draw more enemies in the turn you use it. But be careful since you wont be able to draw neither.

As an Arkz, I love this stage. I don't play as hunters very often, so I wouldn't know what to say to help. But as others have said, rangers have a good shot at beating an Ark if they can keep him in one place. If you're an Ark, and fighting an ark, pin him in with cheap stuff, and send in your red slime or other distance creature to tech it to death.

Play it offline with a friend a few times, try different strategies, see where it get's you :>.

I play mostly Arkz, and I don't like playing on that stage. The stage is totally stacked in favor of an Arkz, and I feel cheap when I win on it.

Conversely, I hate playing on the tiny stages where the hunter can run up and beat the tar out of me within 2 turns either, so I guess it evens out.