Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Since the PS2 release, there's bound to be some people here that are getting or have gotten final Fantasy XI and, having played the game since its NA PC release back in October, I figure I should be able to help some of you newbies by answering some questions.

So, if you've got a question, ask away.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Well thx kent this topic was a great idea now i guess it wont seem like im bugging you as much this way lol

(1)Hmmm whats your opinion on the thief ?since they can become a ranger right?

All classes are completely different, and have no reqs based off the levels of other classes so to speak.

Ranger itself, along with Ninja, Bard, Samurai, Beastmaster, Dragoon, Dark Knight, Paladin, and Summoner, require completing a certain quest while at a job level of 30+. Any job will do, and the stats of these extras jobs are not influenced by what job you used to get it.

For example, you could use a level 30 White Mage to complete the quest for unlocking Dark Knight.

So you don't necessarily need to be a thief first in order to unlock the ability to become a ranger. Just go with what would be best for you, or something you can level quickly, if you just want to get Ranger quickly.

Thief wouldn't be too bad of a choice though, since Rangers have quite a high cost upkeep, and the extra gold you get from being a thief could come in handy.

oh ok so is it possible to be like a dragoon samurai or a red mage ranger

On 2004-03-25 13:40, eXo wrote:
    Yes.

Keep in mind that your subjob maxes at half of your main job. Of course, all your exp and levels for each job are saved seperately, so it won't permanently truncate your levels. You can always change your main job and subjob to any of the classes you have available, after you've completed the quest to get subjobs, that is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixfortune on 2004-03-25 13:52 ]</font>

Locked and Loaded

For example, you could use a level 30 White Mage to complete the quest for unlocking Dark Knight.
    Wrong. You must be a warrior because the sword you use in the quest can only be used by WAR or DRK.

AH I see.
    My bad.
    But what level is the sword? If it's not level 30, you can still use a level 30 WHM to get the quest, then equip the sword as a lower level warrior.

Well, I guess that was a bad example I used, but hopefully you get the point

On 2004-03-25 11:56, eXo wrote:
    Hmmm whats your opinion on the thief ?since they can become a ranger right?
    It's always nice to have a Thief in your party. Sneak Attack and Trick Attack once a minute used on a weaponskill makes for a ton of damage, especially when put in or at the end of a renkei.
    On 2004-03-25 13:40, eXo wrote:
    Dragoon/Samurai ... Penta Thrust spammage with the Wyvern using a breath attack on each weaponskill. Ouch.

That'd do plenty of damage, but it'd also draw so much hate, you'd be the shortest-lived Dragoon ever, seeing as they wear medium armor and don't have the best Vitality or HP.

Red Mage/Ranger ... No.
    On 2004-03-25 16:09, Mattacon wrote:
    Wrong. You must be a warrior because the sword you use in the quest can only be used by WAR or DRK.
    The great sword is level 1. You can just Swap over to it to unlock Dark Knight quick, which is what I did. It is the worst weapon ever, and you need to kill 100 enemies with it, here are the stats:

Chaosbringer Rare/Ex
    Damage: 1
    Delay: 666
    Level 1 WAR/DRK

For those that don't know yet, a weapon's delay is measured in milliseconds, so, with this weapon equipped, you have to wait 6.66 seconds between attacks. That is slow.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Great Sage Equaling Heaven

On 2004-03-25 11:56, eXo wrote:
    Well thx kent this topic was a great idea now i guess it wont seem like im bugging you as much this way lol

(1)Hmmm whats your opinion on the thief ?since they can become a ranger right?
    I'll answer al your thieving questions.
    Level 41 thief here, Im pretty sure I know what im doing at this point

Well first off, thief is a Hard...HARD job to level, cause before level 15v your are a super weak warrior, but after 15 you can dish our 100+ damage every minute...Sneak Attack...You have to be behind the monster for it to work though.

After you get to 15 things start looking up. But people still dont know what you can do, so I suggest making friends who will help you level up.

At 25 you get flee which is great, making you the last one to die in a party. Which you are usually the last to die anyway.

The levels up to level 30 are hellish, but as soon as you get to level 30 if people know what they are doing, you should be the 3rd, or 4th person waned in a group. At level 30 you can put hate on who ever you want, usually for the good of the team. Using Trick attack. Stacking Trick attack with Sneak attack is the greatist thing....untill level 33...

At level 33 you are a damage god, you can Dish out massive damage, that will shock and awe people for MANY levels to come...lets jsut say I dropped some jaws the other night when I did 500+damage every minute.

At level 33 you get a WS(Weapon Skill) called Viper bite, when combined with SA/TA you can do so much damage and put it on someone else....in other words you take no hate.
    If your set up is like this it should work out fine.
    . Thief>Tank2>Monster><Tank1

for the SA/TA combo to work, you need to be behind a person who is behind the enemy.

That should be enough information on thieves..hahhaaha

well hero once you get to lv 50 youll really enjoy being a thief since the LB quest at lv 50 and its a toughie thats the reason why i quit noone willing to help and it took forever to actually find ppl to help and the drops even with TH2 were bad since EX item drops cant be enhanced by TH2.
    Thief its a fun job but too many people want to be thiefs and it just messes everyone up... ppl need BLMs and WHMs more then thiefs at high lvs since 1 thief its enough in a pt but 2 blm's or 2 whms actually help or 1whm and 1 brd or rdm
    Tanks are the best job to raise do since you can switch eithe rmonk,war,drk,pal,drg, bst which are esential jobs in PTs unlike thfs at times