Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Open World

Ok I've searched all over the place but it just doesnt seem to be newhere, is this going to be a MMORPG with a free world or is it going back to the lame Palyer limited slots world?

If the Flinstones happened before christ...how come they celebrate x-mas?

Zinsian

the lobbies and cities are pretty much open...but in game action is limited to 6

[rUSh]^ PSU Clan [Ldr]

you obviously didnt search every where because that's everywhere

'free worlds' have their disadvantages.

PSU's style is better.

I agree with saner.
    I like the psu style, it makes things seem a bit simpler. I tried out MMORPG's and just didn't like them as much as pso's setup. Although I will very much apperciate all the new areas and larger lobbies as long as the core setup is like that of pso.

I don't want to play anything like FFXI again.. Ugh! I hate free worlds, it made NM camping a major downfall of the game. I'm glad PSU is not following it's footsteps because thats all a step backwards. I like to chose who I play with. =D

Paragon of Fortefighter Excellence!
    Leader of the Guardians Mobile Defense Force Guild-PC/PS2
    PS2/PC PSU:Krupp 170 FF/PT/FIG Zanki 137 FG/GM-Since Day 1!
    PSP2 Krupp 126 Hunter 30 PS3 Ad-hoc party and Internet Multimode (Mail me if you wanna play!)
    Waiting anxiously for PSO2..

EDIT-Lagged and then accidental double post.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Krupp on 2006-07-28 11:02 ]</font>

Paragon of Fortefighter Excellence!
    Leader of the Guardians Mobile Defense Force Guild-PC/PS2
    PS2/PC PSU:Krupp 170 FF/PT/FIG Zanki 137 FG/GM-Since Day 1!
    PSP2 Krupp 126 Hunter 30 PS3 Ad-hoc party and Internet Multimode (Mail me if you wanna play!)
    Waiting anxiously for PSO2..

they are really not lobbies anymore, they are actual towns/cities!

they intergrated the lobbies that 100-200 players can meet each other, with the 4 player shop sector from PSO, as well as all component for mission selection, etc. etc. to create these immersive and deep cities for each planet/colony.

besides the 'lobby blocks' from PSO could only hold about 20 players each. but these city lobbies can hold like 100-200 each.

so ya the 'lobbies' this tiem are more comfy and feel more a part of the world and stuff and people even have their own rooms their friends can visit! so ya it's much better than those mmorpgs.

besides a 'free connected world terrain' would lag awfully with real-time combat. plus stuff like camping for mobs and stuff would be too time wasting. so Sonic Team did better decisions to make everyone happy, and since parties are up to 6 anyway, parties can have their own private missions without others hogging the spoils. and this helps prevent overcrowding and stuff when hunting and etc. etc.

actually its 1000 people per lobby

PSOW: Let's talk about the online aspect of Phantasy Star Universe for a bit. How many players will the online cities, or lobbies, support?

Takao Miyoshi: Basically, about 1,000 people are ported into one server, or the lobby as you may call it.

On 2006-07-28 10:10, Saner wrote:
    'free worlds' have their disadvantages.

PSU's style is better.
    I agree. I find that - aesthetically - seeing tens, or hundreds of players jogging around the same area, haphazardly attacking whatever spawns, is more distracting than it is helpful. Overall, I'm more willing to suspend my disbelief when viewing a handful of specialized fighters. Weapons like swords and shields are decidedly archaic, and the game's nonmodern stylings (in a futuristic setting) lend themselves more towards warriors than they do a modern army.

By comparison, seeing an entire world's worth of people - scattered across a map, standing around and casually stabbing at the closet enemy - seems intrusive in it's detraction from the epical nature of the story. There weren't 110 Luke Skywalkers, 89 r2d2's and 230 wookies running around the same area, drawing agro on the nearest mob of [Insert Creature Name Here]... (sorry, I'm not huge on star wars). Likewise, you can't command an army of Yuma's in FF... and of course, there was only one "The One", etc...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pure-chan on 2006-07-28 12:00 ]</font>