Default Did anyone else notice...

... that they ended up putting both a Zechs Marquise and Tallgeese from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing into Phantasy Star Zero? Well, they did--sorta.

You may not have noticed if you play the US version of PSZero, and/or seen the dubbed Gundam Wing animations, but there are a couple of details that seem awfully coincidental.

Just like Zechs, Reve is a mecha pilot with whitish hair and something covering his eyes. But SEGA actually used the same voice actor for Heero Yuy(another pilot from Gundam Wing).

Also, Ogi looks awfully similar to Tallgeese--Zech's mobile suit. They both have that red centurion-style head crest-- I did a little searching after starting this post and found that this point was discussed already in this thread as pointed out by Zarode.

In this thread, zandra 117 pointed out the plotline's similarity to Turn A Gundam.

So surely, I can't be the only one to see the smiliarities there...

Do you think there's more to this?

I did see the Tallgeese reference for sure, but it didn't click with me about Zechs. Though I will say for several of the head designs for the HUcast really remind me of Gundam. The first one reminds me of Exia from Gundam 00, and another one is rather Gundam-ish with the interesting V-fin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirrip View Post
    Reve is a mecha pilot with whitish hair and something covering his eyes.
    Not big on the whole Gundam thing, but I've seen some convincing arguments that PSU has some ties to the anime Zillion beyond just the Ruby Bullets. I wouldn't doubt that there's some anime references in PSZero as well... since Sonic Team has really been going after the "Anime/Otaku Crowd" it seems. The whole fucking story mode is structured like an anime series, and they've hit the tropes so hard it hurts. (At least, I felt physically ill several times trying to play through it). The sly references, such as Karen Erra channeling Motoko Kusanagi's via her "vast and infinite" lines, have given way to blatant and unapologetic cross branding via game items like costumes from the Vocalids, Fate/Stay Night, Evagelion, etc.

Just kind of irks me on that point, since PS classic has a ton of great costumes which could be made into PSU/PSP clothes that people would enjoy, yet all we got were the Formal wear of Lutz and Alis from the PS Gen 1 remake that never even made it over here. It makes it feel as though Sega is ashamed or lacks confidence in PS's history and established mythos. Yet I'll play through a game like Dragon Quest IX and they celebrate their franchise's heritage... both in classic costumes you can get from guest NPCs at the Inn and in the form of Legacy Bosses. Final Fantasy similarly likes to dig up and revisit their classic mythos.

Anyhow, as to Reve's goggles, I had always seen them as a sort of visual metaphor for Reve's blind and unquestioning obedience to Mother - and his inability to acknowledge any fault in her or her objectives. He was looking through rose colored lenses at a world he wanted to believe was true. It wasn't until Mother Trinity betrayed Reve's loyalty by casting him off as trash that he began to open his eyes to the truth, which is why you never see him with the goggles past the Arca plant scene.
    Last edited by Sinue_v2; Jul 22, 2011 at 07:56 AM.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Me, being a Gundam Fan, am surprised I missed that, you're right! I don't mind the connections to anime in the games, just hope it doesn't go to far.

I dunno about Gundam at all, but Ogi's sort-of transformation scene reminded me of Gurren and Lagann merge!

Not to mention I couldn't help but laugh at the thought that Hemera Drill, which is said to be able to ''rend dimensions'', could subtlety imply in can ''pierce the heaven''.

Yonohate In's description reminds of Soul Edge from the Soul Calibur Series. Just Sayin...

Somethin is weird with my Larg [my mag] it has the photon blast pacifial wen it should have Flozir

Quote Originally Posted by umbraluna View Post
    Somethin is weird with my Larg [my mag] it has the photon blast pacifial wen it should have Flozir
    Did you get from a box?