Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

We still don't have the equivalent of ruins for PSO2. I'm really hoping they pull off something spectacular there.

Gate open!
    A place so far away yet so close at hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    Most of the field and battle music in the original PSO was pretty forgettable too, so I'm not sure if this is just a nostalgia thing... but the boss music from those games were much, much better than PSO2's.
    If it was forgettable. . .wouldn't we have forgotten it? The problem with PSO2's music is that you can't even hum a single tune from memory. Whereas the original mines 1 theme will forever be stuck in my head.

Why is this being paraded like it's something new or innovative? This exact idea has been done as early as Metal Gear Solid 1. And actually, the MGS series has done it way smoother. (you can probably notice this most in MGS2) And by "smoother", I mean that the mood transitions happen more quickly and naturally without extended periods of time where unfitting music is continuing to play waiting to finish its loop before the music shifts over to the more appropriate variant. This could've been easily accomplished in PSO2 as well if they programmed it better. The music needs to have more points where it's allowed to shift to a different variant, and the game needs to better recognize when to shift variants. (again, all this was done with no problem as early as MGS1. When was that, like 1998 or something?)

MGS1 used a system similar to PSO1 where it used stock single tracks and transitioned between them.

PSO2 has a LOT more variation in its tracks since every single part can be swapped out on the fly. Naturally, this contributes to the "chaotic" feeling that a number of players are complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    As for field music, Forest, Tundra, and Continent are all fantastic, the rest are pretty forgettable.

The boss music is great.

This system in general is awesome. Most of the field and battle music in the original PSO was pretty forgettable too, so I'm not sure if this is just a nostalgia thing... but the boss music from those games were much, much better than PSO2's.

Olga Flow's first form battle music, and Falz final form music still plays in my head. I still remember Forest, Mines, Ruins and the Jungle very vividly, and I listen to the jungle theme very often(Lush Load - possible mistranslation).

And I personally feel the banthers' boss theme is the best PSO2 got going right now as far as music. Field themes, I love the desert.

死にてぇ奴だけ, かかってこい!! TetsuyaHikari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cla View Post
    Why is this being paraded like it's something new or innovative? This exact idea has been done as early as Metal Gear Solid 1. And actually, the MGS series has done it way smoother. (you can probably notice this most in MGS2) And by "smoother", I mean that the mood transitions happen more quickly and naturally without extended periods of time where unfitting music is continuing to play waiting to finish its loop before the music shifts over to the more appropriate variant. This could've been easily accomplished in PSO2 as well if they programmed it better. The music needs to have more points where it's allowed to shift to a different variant, and the game needs to better recognize when to shift variants. (again, all this was done with no problem as early as MGS1. When was that, like 1998 or something?)
    omg block of text D:

Anyway, yes... that is a method of this concept. However, the transition is more fluid and there's actually a slight break before the shift in BGM between the original and RED ALERT or whatever (talking about as far back as the original Metal Gear on NES). Whereas, in PSO2, the original BGM continues to play while the extra beats and/or music plays over it in layers.

I don't think it's so much people are parading that this is new, but it is new to this franchise (unless Zero had something like this... I didn't play that one X3). Some people are okay with it, some think it just sounds like a bunch of random noises and is too garbled to even be good after a certain point.

As far as games are concerned, this level of granularity is new. I don't know of any games with dynamic music systems that have multiple layers that can be switched in-and-out at random. Key words here: multiple layers. Not only that, but smaller parts of the music can be switched out, skipped, and swapped on the fly.

You can't even really compare MGS1's system to this, and if you are, you're doing it entirely out of ignorance. They're not comparable.

Are you the sickest dude? Lumpen Thingy's Avatar

the music in the forest, city and mines seem really awesome to me but everything else is sort of ok I guess.

I encourage anyone who hasn't to listen to the Mines 2 music outside of the game. There's some very interesting stuff going on in there...

Damn I want a PSO 2 Soundtrack CD now. RIGHT NOW. Just to listen to when I'm riding in a car on loooong trips. Fuck, I havnt unlocked Mining Tunnels yet, but that track was fucking awesome Zyrusticae.

I <3 "atmospheric" and unique sounding electronica, like the music from Dweller At The Threshold (whom disbanded unfortunately).
    I wish every PSO-World member playing PSO2 would have this outlook/attitude:
    "I'll be honest: I'm a man of simple pleasures, and as long as I get to stab the blazes out of something, I'm pretty content."
    Tactlessness is ugly, willfull ignorance and bigotry is even uglier