Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    The First

What's the first game that really got you into gaming? I'm not talking about games that you played just because it was there or you wanted to try it or something like that. I'm talking about the first game that pulled you into the gaming world.

For me it was either Chrono Trigger, FF6, or Secret of Mana. While I did like games before them it wasn't until I played them that I really loved them. I played all 3 about the same time and even played other FF games before and various Street Fighters, as well as burger time, pong, mario, and plenty of other games.

I think it was the story that pulled me in as I couldn't stand to play FF4 or mystic quest till after i played FF6.

King's Quest IV: Perils of Rosella

I'd always been pretty interested in games, but King's Quest was the first game I played which really transported me to another world. Even Phantasy Star (as much as I loved it) couldn't do that. Before gaming on a PC, I was used to just pressing right or left, and pressing the A button. King's Quest IV (My first PC game) plopped me on the beaches of Tamir and let me have at it. There was no level design restricting my movement, or leading me in a certain direction. It was like actually being out in the wilderness, and the kicker was - it was completely interactive. You could inspect things, pick them up, use them, hold conversations with people - asking them different things about the land... it was amazing. And since it was all text parser (no point & click) I had the oppertunity to really put myself into the game. I didn't select options off a menu... I had to think, and tell the game what I wanted to do. Not to mention an extremely strong narrative, the likes of which wouldn't be seen in console games for years to come. My character had a history, a perosnality. The people I talked to had personalities, and troubles in their lives, and opinions on matters.

That level of interaction is taken for granted a lot in today's games... but back then, it was a huge pardigim shift in what I considered a game to be. It really sparked my interest in gaming, and to this day I still consider Adventure games to be my favorite genre.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sinue_v2 on 2007-05-01 06:58 ]</font>

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Console: Ninja Gaiden
    PC: Ninja or Duke Nukem maybe.

Hmm... It was either Mario Bros. or Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles for the NES.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dj_SkyEpic on 2007-05-02 16:39 ]</font>

Dig-dug!

I believe it was on a Mac too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dhylec on 2007-05-01 09:26 ]</font>
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Project-X on the Amiga A500. I still play it now, though on an emulator as my Amiga is long dead.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UrikoBB3 on 2007-05-01 08:54 ]</font>

HUnewearl power since 2003. NGS Official Creator (SectionSkyly)

I seem to recall finding this game exceedingly enjoyable.

This is a door.

This is an item left on the floor.

One might consider this a map of some sort.