Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11/10/09

Blue Burst/Zero FTW!

Default 11/10/09

Sega really chose a bad day to release this game. It didnt sell as well as we would've liked over in Japan, which is where this series is most popular. To make matters worse, SoA decided to 1) Take forever to release the game, and 2) Release it on the day that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is released.

This game was doomed to begin with. However, I'll brave the midnight CoDMW2 fans, step up to the counter and say to the minimum-wage employee whose gaming knowledge is limited to "Bejewled" and I will say unto her: "I have been waiting to play this game for almost a year now, the wait has been unbearable and this is by far one of the best days of my gaming life. The previous game just sucked so hard, the original team werent even in charge of making it, and the subpar quality just oozes out of their inferior products. There's something special about cooperative online teamplay with a wide variety of weapons, upgrades, maps to choose from, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. I cant wait to level up, hit the level cap, and willingly start over again from scratch, because this game is just THAT GOOD. Yes, of course, I'm talking about Phantasy Star Zero. Whaddya think I was talking about, MW2? BTW Infinity Ward can shove it for removing dedicated server support from the PC version of MW2"

2 different systems, 2 different genres. It is as good a time as any. If your talking about MW: mobilized. the DS call of duty games have all been mediocre.

dealing with real life Donnikun's Avatar

well the game got an 8.0 out of 10 in a nintendo power review, and the game actually did sell well in japan, but it is a DS game after all, you cant expect it to have WoW depth, and even WoW itself is not infinatly in depth. Fact is, as far as games go it may not be very in depth or detailed, but as far as DS goes, its pretty advanced. You kinda have to take into account what system it is made for, and DS is not really a sedentary console for hardcore play, its more of a take with you and play during your lunch break system. For people like me, mid 20s, we hadnt outgrown video games, but we also gotta adjust to the real world, like work, grad school, internship, etc. So its ideal for people who are always on the move.
    Oh look at the cute little rappy!! OH MY GOD HE GOT BRAINED BY A RAmar!!!!!!
    PSZ info: NN: Donald FC: 1806-2273-0285

I am a Pal Rappy to know what you are take the quiz here.

Quote Originally Posted by cApNhOwDy View Post
    Sega really chose a bad day to release this game. It didnt sell as well as we would've liked over in Japan, which is where this series is most popular.
    Nope. Wrong. Incorrect.

It sold about 84,000 copies its first week in japan. Thats not GTA sales, but its well above the cost of development for the game ($40 USD x 84,000 copies = $3,360,000.00 in its first week alone.) So no, its not a competitor with something like Dragon Quest in Japan, but it certainly didn't do badly.

Secondly, do you not realize that there isn't nearly as much overlap between customers of both games as you think? Theres the simple fact that neither are coming out on the same platforms, that one is an M-Rated FPS for consoles and PC, the other is an E-Rated Action ORPG for the DS. One is going to get a lot of teens/adults playing it, the other is going to get a lot broader of an audience. Obviously Modern Warfare will sell more copies, but to think that sega goofed up on the release date because a completely unrelated title on a separate system with a totally different target demographic is released on the same day equals a failure of sales is just silly.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

dealing with real life Donnikun's Avatar

yep, this game does have a large enough fanbase to turn a good profit and keep these games around for a while. Granted, we may have to buy new games, but the series will live, after all Phantasy Star Portable 2 is in the works, so im sure there will be Phantasy Star Zero 2 in a few years.
    Oh look at the cute little rappy!! OH MY GOD HE GOT BRAINED BY A RAmar!!!!!!
    PSZ info: NN: Donald FC: 1806-2273-0285

I am a Pal Rappy to know what you are take the quiz here.

Yeah, I think the fact that it is on two entirely different systems, and entirely different genres pretty much keeps MW2 from being a factor in this game's sales.

Don't forget when Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 & 2 on gamecube came out it released the same day as GTA3. Maybe they figured since PSZ is so similar to PSO they'd create another bad situation upon release.

not everybody has a 360/ps3 to get modern warfare so they could get psz instead.

heh Im getting both MW2 and PHZ I cant wait.

MW2 won't be so bad. It's not genre crossing.

The same day as Borderlands would be bad. If they released it on the same day as borderlands, I doubt we would see many rangers in PSO.