Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "I Love Ruins!" Quest Question

I was playing the "I Love Ruins!" quest today on Hard (the one with Nicholas and the ancient bomb) and something that seemed kind of strange happened. One of the first rooms in ruins was dark and had a barrier screen that I knocked down. Behind the screen was one of those shiny ball shaped things that hold quest items (like the ones in Mayor's Mission and Mayor's Quest). I picked it up and it said "???" when I grabbed it. The item seemed to do nothing and I saw no effect after the quest from it. I do not remember seeing it on Normal before, so I was wondering if it is just something that appears on higher difficulties or if I just have a faulty memory and it is on normal too. Does it actually have a purpose or was "???" just included in the quest for no reason? I assume that plenty of other people have already found this so that is why I am asking for any insights people may have.

I saw the "???" item a few minutes ago when I was playing "I Love Ruins!" on Hard. When I picked it up, a couple of boxes appeared.

Although fairly rare, the shining balls are normal. As Ryna said, in my experience they tend to create boxes, more often than naught gold ones.

Probably the most common occurrence of these flashing orbs is in Rioh Snowfield. Some times the snowmen you find there have them.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

Haha! I thought the snowmen were some kind of decoration. I really got to stop breezing through stages.
    I'm working on a fanfic!
    Click here to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by ARChan View Post
    Haha! I thought the snowmen were some kind of decoration. I really got to stop breezing through stages.
    I dont think it always happens, just sometimes. You can tell if you get close enough though, the sparkle is hanging right around there neck.
    Illustrator! Pixel Artist!:

Huh. I've only seen those in the ruins, and yeah as far as I can tell all they do is spawn a couple boxes.

Thanks, I guess I just did not notice the boxes appearing after I grabbed "???". Sorry, I suppose I should be paying more attention. I still find it odd how there are so many random things in PSZ like this though.

Well this is neat, I'd never heard of it until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Epically Leet View Post
    Don't take dumps in public restrooms. When you least expect it, something'll come up from the toilet and bite you in the butt.

Pal Rappy for President TaciturnBadger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LouieW View Post
    I was playing the "I Love Ruins!" quest today on Hard (the one with Nicholas and the ancient bomb) and something that seemed kind of strange happened. One of the first rooms in ruins was dark and had a barrier screen that I knocked down. Behind the screen was one of those shiny ball shaped things that hold quest items (like the ones in Mayor's Mission and Mayor's Quest). I picked it up and it said "???" when I grabbed it. The item seemed to do nothing and I saw no effect after the quest from it. I do not remember seeing it on Normal before, so I was wondering if it is just something that appears on higher difficulties or if I just have a faulty memory and it is on normal too. Does it actually have a purpose or was "???" just included in the quest for no reason? I assume that plenty of other people have already found this so that is why I am asking for any insights people may have.
    When that happens, it spawns a couple of boxes with (usually) pretty decent items in it. I've kept an eye out for them in random spots for other quests/maps, and haven't found any. Has anybody else had any luck finding them on other maps? It'd be useful to know if I'm straining my optical input sensors for no reason.

EDIT: This is a perfect example of failing to comply with the "read the thread completely before you post, idiot" syndrome. GUILTY!
    Last edited by TaciturnBadger; Dec 2, 2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: GUILTY on ALL COUNTS for crimes against dumb posting
    All your mags are belong to us!

Usually on nights, ~10pm to ~1am (EST). Sometimes later.

I am a Hildetorr! To find out what you are, take the quiz here.

Senior Arks Member..? SquashDemon's Avatar
    I came from Ragol, and all the not-sense that makes with it.

I was wondering about those ??? things!

I found two during different quests, I just figured I missed the boxes that appeared afterwords.

Rar, I must pay more attention!
    Episode III for Life.