Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    The Artist Formerly Known As... Something Else SammaeltheDark's Avatar

Default A Civil Outcry to RubyEclipse About the Quality of PSP2's Localization

tl;dr version: Post in this topic if you want to say to Sega that we want better quality control in future Phantasy Star games. It will hopefully give RubyEclipse leverage in negotiating better Western releases for Phantasy Star games.

Long version:
    There are enough of vocal fans here that I figured I'd give this a shot. I'd post this on the official forums but I'm not gonna create an account there just for this single post. I know RubyEclipse checks these forums occasionally. Heck, if someone wants to repost this topic elsewhere where there are a lot of vocal Phantasy Star fans, do so.

Despite it still being a decent game, there has been a lot of fan outcry about Phantasy Star Portable 2 and the West getting a lesser game than its Japanese counterpart. From day 1 of the English PSP2 demo release there has been discussion about the translation, the lack of voice acting, and the apparent lack of downloadable content. This has resulted in the visiphone passwords being extracted and leaked early and fans finding workarounds so we can still play the Japanese DLC missions. This is a more diplomatic attempt to get a complete game in the future with PSP2 Infinity and PSO2.
    You might say what good is posting complaints in a non-official Sega forum? Or even posting them at all? Sega will never listen. What this topic is trying to do is document in a single topic that is easy to show to others that fans want a complete game. This will give RubyEclipse, Edward, or whoever works with the community something that they can take to Sega and say "This is the fan response. They want better support in future Phantasy Star games. The games will do better with the more effort that is put into their localizations." and so on. The Community Managers at Sega don't have the power to directly change the game, but they aren't completely helpless. Just talking with Ruby at PAX2010 (see the Mag, PM, MySynth topic) let me know that he does have someone he can take fan feedback to and that it might just be able to make a difference.

So what I'm saying for myself, now, is that as a long-time Sega and Phantasy Star fan, I am tired of being treated as a second-rate consumer. This is not the old days of video games where people did not easily have knowledge and access to foreign versions of games. We know the truth now that the Japanese versions of Phantasy Star Portable, Zero, and Portable 2 all had content that was removed because the West was deemed an nonviable market. The English version of PSP2 in particular had a sloppy localization filled with inconsistencies with previous games' localizations, inconsistencies within PSP2 itself, and certain things that looked like they were changed for the sake of being changed. Full voice acting was removed, despite the fact that PSPo (which was a lesser game compared to PSP2 in my opinion) had it, and that without spoken voice, the impact of certain plot points within the game are negatively affected. No budget was given to advertise the game. No support was given at launch for downloadable missions and changes to the game made it appear like there would be no DLC missions at all. The Japanese versions of these missions were all fun and greatly added to the longevity of the title. And finally the removal of downloadable items is lost money. Importers were willing to pay for the Japanese DLC items. People would be willing to pay for the items in the English version. Microtransactions in online games have proven to work in today's market. Just look at any number of other games like Dungeon Fighter Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings Online, etc.
    I've evangelized Phantasy Star Portable 2 since I first played the Japanese version. It is a good game. To me, it is the best online Phantasy Star yet. If the West had gotten a the full Phantasy Star Portable 2 experience like the Japanese version, and Sega put its full support into the game, it would perform much better in the Western market. So to Sega I say I want a complete English version of Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, Phantasy Star Online 2, and whatever the future brings.

I'll get off my soap box now.
    ノーマン (Nohman), Lv.125 Male Human, BR 34, 1 Rebirth (PSP2i)

"Unconcious" in Forest 2 T_Esquire's Avatar

Sadly, there will never be a good localization until you see some REAL cooperation between the original game designers and the localization team. Until that happens it's often left to the localization team to figure out just what the original designers meant when creating the content for particular characters (like that cast NPC they gave the French mannerisms to, oh my god why?!). It's a sad, inconvenient truth.
    I guess... It wasn't enough... Hee hee hee... Perhaps I was overthinking things... Awww... After thinking about all that... I'm starved! Let's head home.

You'll buy the game anyway; unless it starts making SEGA some worthwhite cash from shipments there's no need to spend more money on what is transparent outside of the fanbase.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

Princess of the Eternal Flowers Masterflower's Avatar

I just find it sad other Sega games get better support then Phantasy Star.. O_o; Its just like T_Esquire said, there needs to be a cooperation between the two branches of Sega. I think Atlus is a smaller company then Sega, but when it comes to Atlus games, I love the localization they do for them, and the work they put into these localization. Square Enix does the same as well, imo. Sega needs to start slow if theres any hope for changes to be made. I also have been a Phantasy Star fan since PSO, and it pains me to see short then come when localization these games. The only thing they got over Bandai Namco is that they actually bring the games over.. but thats a different matter... Sure I may have beef sometimes with minor things in the game and all, but overall I still love the game and will continue to support Sega with the Phantasy Star Franchise. I know theres only so much Ruby can do, but why is it we only have one and half people that talk to the community? If need be, Sega should scout out for advice when dealing with content. I know times are hard nowadays, but thats why you should slowly translate and localize content for us. I'm pretty sure a majority of the community would gladly give up time in exchange for a awesome if not better port of the game.
    Just another same old day.

Well, we got it pretty good this time.
    Awesome collaboration, but with no voices.
    While this did have me extremely upset, I don't think the localization was worth complaining about (Which I have already done because I'm one of those people)

We core content and more this time. I'd say if infinity came here, it'd go another step higher! It's progression as I see it.

However, this cannot be predicted. Sega can pull support for PS at any time for outside regions. We have to wait. PSP2 is complete. Now, we hope that voices are in infinity...
    Which we will get. I demand it!

I am officially Samurai X just for that off chance you happen to run into me online!
    The yellow and blue cast, back from PSO!

The localization is fine.

Complaining about petty things.

Just enjoy the god-damn game people...we should be so lucky to have such a great game like PSPo2. I am having more fun with this than I ever did with PSO! That's saying A LOT!

Think of it like this you guys,

How many of us are familiar with NASCAR? Think of what goes into having those snap-on stickers patches etc placed on the race car the jackets the race car trailer etc.. think of how much the sponsor has to pay for to have those spots.

Im fairly certain SoA has to do much the same with Sony for DLC. They paid for it in Japana nd yes japan has the larger fanbase.... US/EU does not. SoA probably will get charged for the DLC placement on the PSN for this region and the EU region. thats two more fees... for how many people?

RIght i know it sucks, we get screwed because of the smaller fanbase. At least the stuff thats up on the site now is NOT region coded. Thats the best that we can hope for i think at this time

Quote Originally Posted by Seasqwaa View Post
    Well, we got it pretty good this time.
    Awesome collaboration, but with no voices.
    Agreed. The one complaint I have with the US/EU PSP2 is the lack of voice-overs in the conversation scenes. It leaves the story feeling emptier than it should.

Well, that and, of course, the possibility of having no DLC in the Westernized version. Lord, I hope we get some.

Random "Nice" Swordsman Calsetes's Avatar

My only complaint was the lack of voices in a lot of the text-only cutscenes and stuff, but it's not honestly a big deal to me. Like others said, I'm happy we at least got the online mode and the collaboration stuff this time around, unlike last time when they gutted anything involving internet access with the game.

My question, though - how will they change Colonel Sanders for the Western version? Will be the random "chicken man" I've heard tales about?
    Stupid, stupid rat creatures!