Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapon types

I think that pso2 will adopt a few of the weapon types that are on some of the later phantasy star games. Spears and gunblades(over shotguns) would be great additions to the upcoming game.

One thing I think they should incorporate into pso2 could be a variety of fighting styles. Some styles of fighting could deliver more hits to the enemy, and others could deliver less hits and inflict more damage and could even cause status effects. There are so many possibilities of what they could do with the combat system. I m a huge fan of the original combat style of PSO, but it would have a lot more playability with an improved combat system.

I am a Olga Flow to know what you are take the quiz here.

This is my pet rabbit. His name is Kireek
    (\(\
    (-.-)
    o.(")(")

Twin Slicers would be nice.
    Phantasy Star 2 Char/Serv
    ChronoTrigga - Human Female - Ship 7 / Block 30

PARTISANS. Dear GOD I hate spears. Partisans, damn it.

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

whips, chains, and the like. needs a bit less photon and more physical materials(with photon streaks). and hold off on the ribbon dancing like in PSU.

Ball & Chain? hardcore mid-evil items brought back and upgraded into the new times.

i wonder if they'll have some kind of high quality item synth thing. I've never played this game but something like Monster Hunter's item creation where your item is made by you with w/e mats.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheAstarion View Post

Scythes would make a good weapon class IMO, and if that's too boring, how about making them a 2-handed equivalent of a gunblade? Double-barreled shotgun in line with the blade, to detonate when the blade pierces armour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nai_Calus View Post
    Yes yes. /M.Bison

That was my response to that part, as I go further down in topic, it was already said. GG

Never a real replacement to using an entire pole for range and having multiple hits in front of you, horizontal space covering. Requiring PAs for no reason, to do simply that.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyfei View Post
    whips, chains, and the like. needs a bit less photon and more physical materials(with photon streaks). and hold off on the ribbon dancing like in PSU.

Ball & Chain? hardcore mid-evil items brought back and upgraded into the new times.
    I erased that synth part, as should you so Sega ST never sees it/tries it/abuses it again.

I would love to see axes come back, they where my favorite in PSU.

Also i thing they should have a heavy PSO style shotgun, and have gunswords as a light shotgun that can have all shots hit one target like in PSU.
    I request a dance of intellect, put on your thinking shoes!

Shotguns and axes, yes, mmm!

I want to make a Newman that wields heavy weapons and exclusively heavy weapons. Sure, I can make a CAST for that, but that's boring! Cute and small and terribly deadly is more my speed.

--Spreads: Shotguns are fine and dandy, but I always viewed them as watered-down weapons in the crowd control department. Shotgun and Spread don't necessarily have to be in the same weapon class, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd love to get Spreads back.

--Fists: In my opinion, they've gotten fists wrong in both attempts. In PSO, their awkward animation made them almost entirely impossible to use, and in PSU, they turned them into... whatever you want to call those bulky atrocities. Don't get me wrong, I did like Fists in PSU, but I'd rather have a proper style of unarmed combat. I hope they bring the old fists back, with a better battle animation than KICK-SIDEKICK-PAWNCH!

--Doublesabers: I was not amused by PSU Doublesabers. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this, though I'm unsure as to whether or not I'm in the minority opinion. Turning Doublesabers into awkward, slow, mob control weapons was a real let-down. This tradition seemed to copy over to PSZ, so it's likely they'll remain this way in PSO2, but that doesn't stop me from holding a small glimmer of hope that they'll bring the old Doublesabers back.

--Twin Swords: While we're on the subject of single-target weapons, I actually liked having slow Twin Swords, because they easily made up for it in damage output. It took more precision to begin and carry out a combo-attack, but the often-high ATP made it worth the trouble in the end. I liked Twin Sabers in PSU, and continue to use them (as I'm sure many people do, thanks to Blade Destruction) in PSP2, but part of me longs for the old Twin Swords back.

--Sabers: Sabers are quite obviously going to be in PSO in some form or another, because they're not only the symbol of the Hunter arsenal, but of the traditional warrior class of ANY Role-Playing Game. In PSO, Sabers had a straight-forward and highly aggressive combo which allowed the wielder to push back their target without giving it the chance to counter. In PSU, it seemed more like a weapon you'd swing around in front of you, inflicting damage, but not giving you any solid opportunities to continue the thrashing. Photon Arts like Infinite Storm further bastardized what used to be an instant classic weapon, and even with high ATP and a one-handed requirement, Sabers in PSU just felt... empty.

--Swords: It's completely understandable that a sword of such a great size would be heavy, and thus slow, but not as slow as PSU made it out to be. I'm not going to get locked into a debate on "realism," especially not for a fantasy game that has your character spinning toward enemies like a tornado with Doublesabers, levitating off the ground with Twin Sabers, or riding a goddamn Spear like a surfboard, to name a few. But Swords in PSU felt much slower than they should have been. Coupled with the fact that there were very few options to raise your attacking speed - none of which came in the form of a permanant equip, such as the /Battle items from PSO - PSU made Swords feel pretty useless by comparison.

--Partisans: I loved Spears. I found Spears to be a welcome addition to the franchise. However, they were, by no means, an effective replacement for the Partisan/Halbert weapon class. With all of the "cookie cutter" weapon types in PSU, I'm shocked that Partisans weren't in the game. Sabers, Daggers, Twin Daggers, Twin Sabers, and Axe were essentially carbon copies of each other, being single-target weapons, but differing in speed, power, number of combos, and animation style. Partisans could have easily been classified as a "Faster, yet weaker" Sword. I truly hope they make the decision to bring them back.

--Machineguns: I'm not saying they should bring back the "always dual-wield" Mechguns from PSO, but I'd like for them to do something other than "Hold Square and watch the carnage." In my ideal PSO2, I'd like to have guns no longer consume TP/PP, and if that means they have to bring back the combos, so be it. If combos for guns aren't brought back, at least give Mechguns a cooldown point. Or, perhaps, even give every gun a cooldown bar which, when it's depleted, the gun will need to recharge. Then again, I'm not overly worried about the outcome of Mechguns, because PSZ got it right. And if PSO2 is truly going to be the successor to PSO, I don't see why they wouldn't borrow ideas primarily from PSO and PSZ.

--Unique Weapon Types: Something I loved about PSO was how unique some of the weapons were. Frozen Shooter, the freeze bomb firing rifle. Vjaya, the grandpappy of all charge weapons. Spread Needle, the handgun-rifle-spread hybrid. Yasminkov-9000M, the rifle-ranged mechgun. It seems like the only unique weapon trait that was brought over from PSO was the "multi target" functionality of Excalibur, and even that was taken and turned into a common, uninteresting trait. I'd like to see a little bit more creativity in the weapons department, the likes of which I haven't seen since PSO.

--Special Attacks: I like the special effects some weapons posess in PSU, and the element synthesis from PSZ, but part of me really misses the ability to use special attacks. You know; the ability to attempt an attack with a special effect, rather than giving each attack a chance to have the effect activate. I'm sure PSO2 could find a way to incorperate both, in a similar fashion to the aforementioned unique weapon types.

That's my two cents. If you don't agree with something I've said here, I welcome constructive debating, but not hate-fueled flaming. So, if you feel the need to give me a response along the lines of "I don't agree with you because --," please keep it nice and neat.

PS: I have no further peeves with any of the other weapons. Not any that I can think of right now, that is. I'll edit this post if something does come to mind.
    Last edited by "En"; Nov 19, 2010 at 12:15 AM.
    Verdana is a pretty good font.

2X-6 Corsair :: Metal XII :: Unit 12 :: War :: Dozen
    Neyami Red :: Dr. Paul :: Izar Erori :: Brynhildr :: Fenchano

Quote Originally Posted by Nai_Calus View Post
    You know, I think that if Spears were kept as a unique weapon type, Scythes could easily fill the niche that Partisans had in PSO.

In fact, it might even be more appropriate if they're a melee-centric weapon that, as a baseline, adds to the user's MST to boost technique power as well.

ProTip: To damage your credibility, simply call any of the Phantasy Star games "massively-multiplayer."

Quote Originally Posted by Sienna View Post
    I am looking forward to the return of mechguns and swords that were quick.
    This.

Also,
    Katanas as a weapon type with their own combo animation;
    Scythes as a weapon type too;
    Keep the twin daggers' animation from PSU (or something similar); [And more sword-like twin daggers, like Twin Kamui]
    Double sabers as a rare weapon type;
    LongBows as a quicker weapon type based on TEC.
    Shields as a weapon type just like they are on PSPo2.
    Gunblades from PSZ, maybe as a rare type too;
    More rare/uniques weapon types.
    Remove Tech-Mags and R-Mags (and bring back the normal Mags). Or, OpaOpa R-Mags as a weapon type that you equip as a Unit on your shield, so you can at least block while using it.